X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdub
    • Aug 2003

cabinet construction question

I was wondering if any of the cabinet makers out there have any opinions on solid wood for a front baffle. I've heard that its not a good idea due to the expansion properties which will cause problems over time. At the same time I see respected cabinet makers such as Dave Ellis, Jim Salk, and Meadowlark using soild wood for the front baffle. Maybe they laminate the solid wood to MDF? Any input wood(hahaha) be appreciated.

Chris
  • Kramer
    • Jan 2005

Hey,

Would you mind if I borrow this thread? Its a somewhat-related topic.

What are the preferred binding posts? I seem to remember Jon posting (on several occasions) that he likes the Madisound version - and I cant quite remember the part number (they have several). I tried a search on "terminal" and "binding posts", and the only relevant message I found (from Jon) was a post stating how he doesnt like binding posts, and that he is going to start using cups. That was a kick in the rear. So whats the general thought? Posts? Cups? PE? Madisound? Other?

Ok, solid front baffels. On this topic, I seem to see a lot of builders laminating solid wood to MDF or multi-ply (say 3/4" wood to 3/4" mdf/ply) for the front baffle, which reduces the expansion properties.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Well, I'll chime in and muddy the waters a little more....

I've used solid hardwoods in speaker cabinets extentively, mostly INTERNALLY for bracing, laminated to the back of the front panel, and to the enclosure sides, etc. See my orignal "Unorhodox 8" Two Way" article in AudioXpress in fall of 2003. There are several sets built this way out there for years; no problems to date.

No reason not to use it on FPs, with care, I think. I DO use epoxy when working with MDF and hardwoods together, but hey, we all know I'm a little extreme about somethings... glue being one of them.

Regarding terminals, my minimal input is NO FERROUS materials- check the ring terminals, etc, that come with any binding cups or posts...

The approach I used for the M8 two ways and most similar projects is a binding cup, with the original binding posts removed (cheap metal, ferrous connection tabs) and replaced with Vampires or Cardas (Cardas has several different price ranges- choose what fits your budget- low end Cardas and Vampires are very similar.)

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kramer
        • Jan 2005

Jon

What are you using on your PE cabinets? Surely your not routing another hole in that nice black lacquer finish.

laminated to the back of the front panel
        Ha ha, use the good wood on the inside of the baffle. I see ... that way, who cares if it splits. :W

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

There are ways of "floating" a hardwood baffle. I'm not sure what all those folks mentioned do though.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

As long as the solid wood was properly dried (6-8%) and the baffle was not too wide (<10") you should probably be OK. Most problems occur when someone wants to build a complete enclosure from solid wood and encounters problems with cross-grain joinery. Don't forget, MDF will also expand/contract with changes in humidity, but does so in all directions.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kramer
              Jon

What are you using on your PE cabinets? Surely your not routing another hole in that nice black lacquer finish.

Ha ha, use the good wood on the inside of the baffle. I see ... that way, who cares if it splits. :W
              For example, that's done in poplar or red oack; to re-inforce the tweeter mounting area, and provide a backplate, so there's no rear pressure on the tweeter.

This is the front panel of the Modula MTM's. The M8 two ways are more extensively braced on the back of the front panel. The inner bracing on the PE cabinet's is pretty good, and I don't mess with that. Need the room for the crossovers, anyway.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"