X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug Lockwood
    • Mar 2005

Doug's Dipole Project

I found the Linkwitz Site and fell in love with the dipole concept.
    However, rather than copy a design, I wanted to see if there was something with less expensive drivers that appealed to me.
    Research revealed several interesting designs, including AVRO, BOB and Davey's.

I have come up with a different design and am looking for comments of strengths and weaknesses. To avoided the risks I perceive with a low crossover and the limited tweeter choices that entails, I targeted a 6k tweeter/ midrange crossover, and a 300 hz mid/woofer xo. This limits my woofer selection by ruling out most subwoofers on inductance and energy storage .
    I am proposing an MTMWW based on the B&G NEO3, the Aura NS3-193-8A and the Dayton RS270-8 10" woofer .
    Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

The Neo3 can run as a dipole for lower distortion and better power response. The midrange has smooth response from 100 to 10k and low distortion, as well as enough xmax to allow a lower than Feq crossover. The woofer is also low distortion, low energy storage below 500 hz and according to the Linkwitz calculator, has 105 db capabilities down to 40 Hz or so. on a D = 9" baffle.

Seeing this was not a common implementation, I bought a Behringer DCX2496 and created a prototype using PE Buyout drivers.
    This consists of NSB, the Dayton NEO tweeter and 299-734 12" woofer.

The buyout 299-734 woofers really are increasingly distorted above 120 Hz, so I have to balance the excursion and max volume of the NSB with the distortion of the Woofers. I ended up about 180 Hz, which plays loud but still keeps most of the NSB's sound intact. I also should not have been surprised, but the Speaker sounds much better with a 4K crossover than a 6k that I started with.
    So far I am having a blast listening to the test mules. I am impressed with the Dayton tweeter for $4.60 and having deep base to 20 Hz from a $9 woofer is a surprise as well.

Parts list
    275-030 DAYTON ND20TA-6 3/4" NEODYMIU..
    269-570 4" EXTENDED RANGE DRIVER .. NSB
    299-734 12" WOOFER w/PINCUSHION FRAME

I am looking for constructive criticism, alternatives, and directions.

Doug Lockwood
    Attached Files
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Do the 4" mids have enough output in a dipole config?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Hello Doug,

Glad you're having an entertaining time messing around with some inexpensive drivers to get your feet wet with dipoles! It would be hard to imagine you doing it for any less money....

OTOH, those buyout special 12's from PE only have 3.5 mm Xmax, so I would be careful about using much EQ on them to get the bottom end in shape. Monte Kay put together a dipole system using the RS270 Daytons, and with 10's and their 7 mm Xmax, was running out of gas on the bottem end pretty quickly, too.

Do you have a modern copy of Excel on your PC? You might find working with Baffle Diffraction Simulator from the FRD consortium (free download if you haven't heard of it yet) on the driver layout- baffle loading in the midrange for a dipole is dependent in some ways in the same way as for a sealed box, and symmetrical layouts don't produce the smoothest frequency response.

I'd take a pass at something similar to Davey's driver complement if you're looking to keep the bucks down but raise the performance level a bit. Regardless, have fun and let us know how things turn out.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
        • Mar 2005

Do the 4" mids have enough output in a dipole config?
        As long as I keep the crossover close to Feq, the NSB's play as loud as I want to listen .
        The speaker is on a 47.5 Cm baffle, so Feq is about 240 Hz.

It would be hard to imagine you doing it for any less money....
        LOL.
        You might find working with Baffle Diffraction Simulator from the FRD consortium
        Thanks, I'll play with it. The speakers are off center by 3/4" or so, but it was Kentucky windage.
        OTOH, those buyout special 12's from PE only have 3.5 mm Xmax,
        I was aware of that, but it hasn't yet been an issue. It may be the distortion in the drivers makes them sound louder than they really are.
        Regardless, have fun and let us know how things turn out.
        Thanks. My goal is to have the real ones built before DIY Chicago. I'll keep you posted.
        Last edited by Doug Lockwood; 28 March 2005, 20:34 Monday. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The NSB's are interesting drivers. They're nearly indestructable (I've tried) and if you cross below 4000Hz (I use 3800 and 3200 depending on the speaker) sound amazingly sweet. And they're good open baffle - I have a pair I use as computer monitors.

They're not crossable on the bottom passively with any reasonable cost (800uF cap anyone?!)

Doug, what's your timeline? I'm embarking on an open baffle project one of these days and at the moment, my driver choice is:

Unknown for sure drivers up to ~50Hz(?) - 12's may work. 15's otherwise, probably. Maybe 18's. Very much unknown at this point how I'll cover the really low bass. But I want something I can toss in an IB or sealed box if I need to. I don't know if 16Hz open baffle is reasonable but I'm gonna try. Next up is RS225's. From there I think it'll be Neo8's. And from ~5k on up, probably a Fountek ribbon.

I have this bad feeling I'm going to need four of the RS225's per side.

Since it sounds like you're in the area, I'd be happy to help out if I can on your project.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
            • Mar 2005

The NSB's are interesting drivers. They're nearly indestructable (I've tried) and if you cross below 4000Hz (I use 3800 and 3200 depending on the speaker) sound amazingly sweet. And they're good open baffle - I have a pair I use as computer monitors.
            I remember hearing those; Pretty amazing for what they are.
            Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. Sounds like we have similar tastes.

Doug

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
              • Mar 2005

I entered these in the Mid class at DIY Chicago.
              I got a very positive response, and we demo’ed several sets of Carl’s cables as well.

On to the next level. I have my test baffle for the RS270 / SEAS MP14RLY/P / B&G NEO3 (not PDR)(without back cup).
              I'll check in with progress.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Doug

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"