X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_Rob
    • Mar 2005

Hmmmm... could this work?

Anyone use those little tangband full range drivers ? Im still looking for a good solid plan for my first DIY speaker.. what about 3 of those little 3" tangband full ranger drivers, the silver ones with phase plugs that are like 12$ a peice ?

I was thinking of maybe doing 3 of those in an open baffle, like dipole, think it could work, if backed up by a small sub, perhaps a shiva or tempest ? what do you think ?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Those little drivers are WAY too small to be used in an open baffle, unless you're planning on wearing them as headphones.....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

I have the Tang Band w3-871s drivers and a Tempest. I put the TBs in small sealed boxes and crossed them at 100 Hz. That works at lower volumes okay. There are also other good 3" drivers like the Aura and B3s HiVi.

Comment

• Hank
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2002

My Bozebuster and Brian's Micro are based on that driver. Everyoned who has heard them is very surprised at the sound quality. Some people have very small budgets available for speakers, and those TB's can satisfy just such a need.

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
          • Mar 2005

"I was thinking of maybe doing 3 of those in an open baffle, like dipole, think it could work,"

I have a new dipole speaker with 2 NSB midranges.
          With a 150 Hz 24 db LR crossover, I was able to bottom the drivers in a 12 by 18 ft room with loud but not insane levels. Changing the crossover to 180 Hz helped, but did not resolve the issue.
          With the TB, I would not count on a crossover below Fequal on an OB. Also, the Linkwitz SPL calculator will give you a good idea when you are going to run into a wall.

Doug

Comment

• Jim85IROC
            • Jan 2005

I built a pair of computer speakers with those tangbands and used Krutke's notch filter. Unfiltered they sound pretty impressive, but with the filter they are downright surprising. For low volume situations, and especially nearfield listening, they are very good. The coherent sound of a single driver covering such a majority of the music is really something special and in many ways helps you to forget about some of the other shortcomings.

Comment

• Audio_Rob
              • Mar 2005

Interesting, so theyd probably be pretty dissapointing in an open baffle

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"