X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdub
    • Aug 2003

Help with driver choice

I am in the market for a car audio subwoofer and was wondering if any of you guys could shed some light on the drivers I am considering since a few of you may have had some experience with them :wink:

The drivers I am considering are the 1)Ascendant Audio Atlas 2) Soundsplinter RL-i (aka TC Sounds TC2+) 3) Soundsplinter RL-p (TC sounds based TC9)

My main question is, does the XBL2 technology featured in the atlas neccesarily make it a lower distortion or "better sounding" woofer than a traditional design. Also I realized that RL-p is at different price point than the other two woofers.

I think both manufacturers produce quality products. My intention from starting this thread is to gather info about the designs and how they sound, not a flame fest :T

Thanks for any and all input,
    Chris
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hello Chris,

Glad to see you're still dropping in from time to time!

I'm not very experienced in car audio, and I suspect there's some different parameters or guidelines for selecting a woofer for a car audio application than HT/music.

Most of my woofer testing lately has been for drivers to use in dipole applications, and the TC2+ is my favorite, because of low nonlinear distoriton below 50 Hz AND above 50 Hz- in the latter range, it's class leading. Since I run the dipole woofer up to 200 Hz in the Arvo, that's important for me.

To cloud the waters a little more, rumor has it by June or so there will probably be some Dayton Reference series sub drivers (10" and 12")- aluminum cone, Faraday caps on pole piece, etc. I've seen one of the 10" protos, which measured very well, yet reportedly will be improved on for the production part.

So, what's your time frame? You might want to wait and see what's out in June before plunking down your hard earned dollars.

Regarding the TC9 bigger brother, I've never tested one of those; it does have more Xmax, and higher power handling, but the incremental KMS vs X doesn't look quite as linear as I'd like, compared with the TC2+. TC Sounds is very coy about stating Le, and doesn't in the TC9 data sheet. The TC2+ I've measured have been very good in that spec, even measured at 1 kHz. That's a big factor in why they have lower upper bass harmonic distortion, I think.

The two versions of the TC9 from Soundsplinter are quite different as regards Mms, Vas, and VAS; the dual 2 ohm VC seems to be very focused on what the typical auto sub preferences are as I understand them (which isn't very well). Try modling the drivers you're interested in in Unibox, for the enclosure design you want to use.

I'm a little puzzled by SoundSplinter referring to dual spiders in the Premium series, as the TC9 series are normally single spider. You don't usually get into dual spiders until you get into the TC3HP series. The old Stryke HE-15's were dual spider TC Sounds drivers (still got one in the original packing box).

It probably comes down to what you want to accomplish, and what your preferred load impedance is.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Cdub
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jon. Although I may not post all the time I'm always lurking around trying to plot out my next upgrade or project :T My dad is considering re-doing the family room and putting in a dedicated home theater, so I KNOW some of the projects in this forum may work VERY well. :wink: And, I've had my eyes on the Arvo project for a long time, saving a little bit at a time.

Also thanks for the heads up on the new Dayton woofers. I'm in no time rush so I may just wait and see what turns up. I appreciate the insight into why you choose the tc2+ for the arvo project, it gives me a better understanding of why it is a good choice for your application.

I really enjoy seeing all of your projects come together, especially after listening to your M8a. I can't wait until budget allows for the next project.

Speaking of seeing things come together, I think everyone is collectively anticipating the finish of the M8ta. Gotta get that rosewood on there!! :E

Thanks again,
      Chris

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cdub

Speaking of seeing things come together, I think everyone is collectively anticipating the finish of the M8ta. Gotta get that rosewood on there!! :E

Thanks again,
        Chris
        Yeah, guilty as charged! But a lot of folks were waiting for the Modula crossover to be "finalized", so I gave that priority. Probably will setup to start veneering again either next weekend or the one after- a lot of irons in the fire at work this month, and it may take a 7 day week to get on top of that.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

it may take a 7 day week to get on top of that
          I'm just about out of sympathy for you, Jon boy. Being oppressed with far too much work and $$ responsibility and being affected by it physically and mentally, I am trying to have a life and do not work 7 per week.
          Remember, death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
            I'm just about out of sympathy for you, Jon boy. Being oppressed with far too much work and $$ responsibility and being affected by it physically and mentally, I am trying to have a life and do not work 7 per week.
            Remember, death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.
            Hank, I'll forward that to my boss... he needs to hear more of that. Actually, he has no problem with me only working five days a week, as long as I get 7 days worth of work done.

At least I'm not on ulcer meds or treatment for cardiac arythmia (stress related) like some of my co-workers and my former boss. It's that "What, me worry?" attitude I have that keeps me sane. That and not having a wife or girl friend to complain about not having enough time for her.

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"