X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrahamT
    • Oct 2004

Speaker Workshop Extremis6.8 Test Results

I set up a SW testing rig in my computer room. I use the Claudio JIG and believe it or not, the Radio Shack SPL meter with calibration file. I'm sure it's not perfect but it's a good enough for me to gain some testing experience.

These are some results from testing the Extremis on a 10x17" baffle. The white graphs are Jon's the grey ones are mine.

Near field

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extremis  Near.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	867609

Far field

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extremis  Far.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	867608

Impedance

How do they look?
    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 17:19 Friday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Given the inherent limitations of a $50 RS meter compared to Jon's $5000 mic, the plots look pretty good ... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hank
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2002

I'd say amazingly close, given the cost delta. Question for the Pooh-bah's: how much closer would the inexpensive Behringer mic be? That mic seems to be the value proposition in mic's.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, I certainly agree the Behringer is a value leader- why do you think I have one, too? I'd certainly recommend Graham look into getting one of those ASAP. But I understand what student budgets are like... and money spent on test equipment is money you can't spend on drivers or crossover parts.

That plus one of the Maudio mic preamps (I use a DMP3) is a good entry level solution- one I recommend unless one is going with Praxis, then you need to use their mic setup for the AudPod.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I found the Behringer and the RS to be rather different, though I didn't have correction info on the RS.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hank,

Somewhere there's a thread where Jon compared his B&K to the ECM-8000. The ECM-8000 is a surprisingly good mic. It's weak spot is the extreme top end.

Note that it's the standard mic included when one purchases a DEQX system (price of admission starts approx $2500)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GrahamT
              • Oct 2004

This setup is just a ball park rig so I can experiment. The snap shots above are intentionally similar. I figured if my results resembled the known results, then I was doing something right. :W

I do plan to upgrade the mic at some point. It all depends on where I am working, where I decide to go to school, and how much scholarship money I get. As things stand right now, I might buy a DIY mic and preamp kit that some people at DIYaudio.com are working on.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

The ECM8000 has a roll off in the extreme treble, above 16 kHz. DEQX provides a very accurate mic cal file with each one. For the purposes of speaker development, it's an interesting question as to whether a couple of dB overall level inaccuracy somewhere in the extreme deep bass or top end is going to affect the results most of us amateurs can produce- particuarly considering the influence of room placement, etc.

The Girardin small diameter electret capsul mic sold by Liberty instruments with Praxis is one of the best low cost solutions if you want accuracy to beyond 20 kHz in the top end, but the small capsule size lowers it's S/N and low bias voltage limits dynamic range a bit. It's a measurement mic, whereas the ECM8000 was originally designed as an inexpensive omni recording microphone, though it has a relatively small diaphram, too. I built a pair of custom mics using AKG 451 capsules back in the 70's; wish I had those still, though I do have a couple of bodies and capsules; may have to build them up again someday. Though I'm sure by now you can buy better at reasonable prices.

the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

I heard Kim Girardin will calibrate the Behringer mic for about $40 so that still works out cheaper than buying one of his calibrated mics.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"