X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjcruzn
    • Mar 2005

damping materials

Okay subwoofer enthusiasts, what is your opinions on internal damping materials for speaker cabinets? What do you use? "Egg crate" or wedge foam on the interior walls? Acousta-stuff type fillings in the open air space and how much? Both?? Does it effect the long sound waves of the low freqeuncies inside the box or is it primarily for mids and highs? I am in the process of building two speaker cabinets right now. One is a sealed 4-10" and the other is a 1-15" ported. Both are to be used as my cabinets for electric bass. Please tell me what you think on the subject of resonant frequencies inside a bass speaker box!!!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 'best' damping material for sub frequencies is fiberglass insulation. That's pretty nasty to work with.

2.5" acoustic foam is nice for ported subs. Sealed subs are stuffed at a rate of 0.5-1.5 lbs/cu ft.

There are no standing waves in normal subwoofers since the wavelengths involved are simply too long for them to form.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"