X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrahamT
    • Oct 2004

Speaker workshop measurement jig help

*Problem is fixed now, thanks for the help guys!

Hi fellas,

I've done the calibrations, and impedance measurements. Everything works beautiful.

Now I want to do some acoustic measurements but before I plug everything in could you take a look at my setup. I'm not great at setting this stuff up and dont want to burn my Audigy2.

Here is what I need to build:

Image not available

This is what I did build:

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?s=&postid=274056.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	948562

Are they the same? Will this work?

Here is the description of the circuit:

Speaker Workshop makes it possible to design and test loudspeakers using a PC with a sound card.Thiele/Small parameters, driver impedance and acustic response, Double chamber reflex, cascode pre-amplifier

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:20 Saturday. Reason: Update image location and urls
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Looks right to me!

Just make sure you don't have bogus connectors that short to ground. I had to do some custom work on mine!

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

Thanks Chris

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

I just hooked it up but as soon as I turn the amp on, the driver starts moving at around 20 Hz. Barely audible but the driver is moving quite a bit. What could this be. I obviously wont be able to run any sweeps until I get rid of this.

I'm stumped.

Comment

• GrahamT
          • Oct 2004

I ran a near field test.

I dont think it went very well. This is a Paradigm 8" woofer in a sealed box.

It's still making the noise.

This is the result of the near field test.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Name:	Near.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	841780
          Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:20 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• GrahamT
            • Oct 2004

Okay, I rechecked all the cables, didn't find any problems.

What I am getting is a high pitch constant tone, my guess is it is pretty close to a constant 1000 Hz signal. Then, if I unplug any cable and then plug it in again I get a signal pretty close to 20 Hz. These tones are quite loud. They alternate occasionally but one of them is always on.

The noise dissappears if I disconnect the cable jumper from the left Line out to the left Line in. When I only use the Line in left, no noise, when I only use the Line out no noise, but when they touch they produce the noise.

One more thing. When I do the MLS and sine tests, I get volumes on the VU meters between 24k-28k on both channels. WHen I do the near field or far field tests the annoying tones go away for the duration of the test, but return after. The VU meter reads +-28k on the left channel but only 3-4k on the right channel.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions.

Chris,

Can you desribe what your problem was? Maybe it is similar to mine.

Comment

• GrahamT
              • Oct 2004

I rechecked all the cables and connections again. All good. Pretty simple layout.

I tried plugging everything into the outlets with cheaters, no change.

I tried plugging everything in grounded, no change.

It must be a problem with the JIG layout, cables, SC, or how the sound card is set up. It is a CB Audigy2 24 bit. I also have a disabled AC97 on board card that I will try tomorrow.

I'm away on an engineering tour tomorrow, I'll be back late in the afternoon. Please leave any suggestions and I'll try them Sat afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Just thought of one thing - you're using the line in, not the mic in right?

I had a few problems. And I think I have mine wired wrong. :P d0h! (I believe I'm not using the left out only, but am using both L&R out - this should not matter WRT your problems)

1. One of the wires was touching the body of one of the plugs, shorting the signal straight to ground. Check continuity and make sure you only have it where you want it.

2. I had the input and output plugs hooked into my computer backwards so I was getting tons of feedback! Mic response was going straight in and back out through the speaker! oops.

3. I had a nifty ground loop. If your amp has a 3-prong grounded plug, lift the ground when you're using it with a computer! Computers are always grounded and MUST be. Your amp will pick up the ground from there so it'll still be grounded.

My suggestion is to first check the cable - make sure there is no short from signal to ground anywhere. Then, make sure the correct plug is on the correct port on your computer. It may be worth connecting only the signal from the L out to the L in and not ground. Could be a ground loop there though I can't really figure why that would be...

Not sure where to go from there. Hopefully you're not using a good speaker yet. 8)

C

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

The Audigy is one that gives measurement systems fits because it has hardwired record monitoring (playback of all input audio that is being recorded, or recording of all signals that are being played) causing a feedback loop. You may be able to disable that and make it work. See the Liberty Instruments page for more info -- no personal experience.

audigy-setup.pdf
                  Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:22 Saturday. Reason: Attach PDF and update url

Comment

• GrahamT
                    • Oct 2004

Chris,

Yep, line in.

1. Yep, checked continuity between all the wires. Everythings kosher, no shorts to ground on the cables, maybe internally in the SC? I use the same cables in a different config for impedance and it works great. See the graphs below.

3. I have all the computer stuff grounded and the amp lifted.

I'll try lifting the grounds for the lines as you suggest. Dont know why there would be a loop there either but I'll try that.

Dennis,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I knew about the problem with the first Audigys but apparently the Audigy2 will work with SW. I purposely did not install that CL mixer for that reason but I will double check. In the windows mixer I disabled the "monitor when recording" option.

Here is the impedance plot Jon did for the Extremis:

Here is the impedance plot using SW:

Name:	Impedance.jpg
Views:	1539
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	841781

I use most of the same cables and the same input and output and levels for impedance and acoustic measurement.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep em coming. I appreciate the help very much.
                    Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:23 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• GrahamT
                      • Oct 2004

SON OF A VONDROOK!!!!! :B

That problem is gone.

The high and low pitch noises were because of a stupid mistake of mine. In the windows mixer, there are two Line In levels, one in Play Control and one in Recording Control. I forgot to lower the Line In level in the Play Control when switching tests. If any of the levels are too high (mine was like 1mm too high) you get a noise all the time.

I quickly threw the mic in front of the test speaker and measure the near field. The driver is an 8" poly so this response looks reasonable to me. The increasing high end is probably due to inaccuracy of the mic, or my calibration. I'll figure it out.

How does this look to you guys? Is that phase response normal?
                      BTW, closed box, resonant frequency 60 Hz.

Thanks again for the suggestions.:T

Name:	Paradigm near.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	841782
                      Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:23 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• GrahamT
                        • Oct 2004

I played around with a few things and set everything up better.

I tried a new nearfield measurement. I think it turned out rather well this time. Well, the response looks crappy but that is what I expected, so in terms of the setup I think it is working.

Here is my 1/8th octave smoothed nearfield response with a 8" Paradigm poly cone.

Name:	Paradigm near.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	841788
                        Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:24 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

So I'm sitting here moving my mouse wondering WHY DID MY COMPUTER JUST LOCK UP?!?!

oh yeah... that's in your screen capture! :rofl: :rofl: ops: :rofl:

How low are they crossing this beast? I hope this is in a 3-way.

C

Comment

• GrahamT
                            • Oct 2004

In the design I took apart they are crossing over at 1.8k, 3rd order. It is used in 3 ways as well. My measurements may not be accurate yet though.

Comment

• GrahamT
                              • Oct 2004

How does this look guys?

Far field (0.5m) ungated. The response slopes off, I'm sure some of it is baffle step loss, but maybe I am doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Name:	Farfield.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	841789
                              Last edited by theSven; 26 August 2023, 10:24 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Looks like you're getting it sorted out pretty well. I was out with my daughter yesterday- car problems, looks like she's going to need a new clutch (throw out bearing is rattling and whining).

That looks like a combination of normal baffle step and a driver with several cone modes- note how diagnostic your nearfield measurement is. In comparison, look at this nearfield measurement on M8a 8" midwoofer, at center, cone edge, and mid between. This is how a pistonic driver behaves.

Name:	Fig32-M8a-NF-SS.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	948564
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• GrahamT
                                  • Oct 2004

Thanks Jon,

I'm going to do some more measurements today. I'll try the Extremis and compare that to results from you and others. That way I can do some direct comparisions to see if I am doing things correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"