X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpb6061
    • Feb 2005

Active Crossover Help

I've enjoyed reading some of jon Marshes posts, and note that he mentions a fair amount of experience with active crossovers. (I'm sure that there are a lot of others of you out there as well!) Some of the comments in the thread regarding foil core inductors got me thinking....

While I'm currently involved in building some Wilson Klones, I do have a pair of Infinity RS1-b's taking up space in the living room that haven't been used for several years since the active crossover gave out for the third or fourth time.

Anybody have any suggestions as far as repairing and/or modifying the crossover - I'd like to use or sell the speakers!

I have a Krell active crossover that I'm currently using with some Raven Ribbon/Triangle Acoustics 2-ways and separate 12" woofers driven by AE-1 SET amps. Should I try the Krell with the Infinity's? What would I expect without the "servo bass" feedback loop of the Infinity crossover?

Thanks for the consideration,

JB
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Done right, active crossovers are just as complex as passive crossovers. You have to measure the drivers in the box and design a custom circuit just for that speaker. It's unlikely a generic active XO or one designed for another speaker will sound very good. Here's a block diagram of the XO for the Linkwitz Orion, to get an idea of how the master does it.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The Orion is a pretty extreme example of an active filter.

The servo sub will have specialized circuitry specific to the driver. You probably aren't going to be able to just drop in the Krell XO and get good results.

If it's worth the investment, I'm sure Phil Marchand could create a replacement for the XO in the Infinity. I'm equally sure it wouldn't be cheap.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

Anyone have any links for recommended reading on designing active filters ?

Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You can download the Marchand manuals, I'm pretty sure they contain the schematics. There are boards and schematics on Rod Elliot's ESP website.

And of course Google is always your friend

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• denverdoc
            • Aug 2004

May be out of print but there used to be a great book--Active Filter Cookbook(amazon) which I used on several occasions to roll my own,
            J

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"