X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ruffwood
    • Mar 2005

Choosing Crossover Freq. ??

I have a question about chosing the crossover freq. for a two way crossover. I am using 2 Goldwood 8" 4 ohm woofers (FR 45-7000 Hz) in series and a Dayton 1" titanium tweeter (FR 3000-20000 Hz). Sort of following David Weems design in "Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual" project 11. closed box. My question is where is the prefered crossover frequency. The speaker overlap is from 3000 to 7000 Hz. Is the best place for crossover right in the middle at 5000 Hz. ?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well we tend to do things a little differently from David Weems.

The best way to design a crossover is to measure the drivers installed in the baffle where they will be used. Then design the crossover based on the results of those measurements.

Randomly choosing a crossover point from some chart, or using a generic filter set is problematic.

If you don't have the testing gear use the manfacturer's published frequency response data.

Using 8" drivers as high as 5K isn't a good idea. The best thing will be to crossover as low as is reasonable for the tweeter. This will avoid beaming that occurs when larger drivers like the 8" are reproducing higher frequencies

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ruffwood
      • Mar 2005

This is my first attempt at speaker building so I do not have testing equipement. What is as low as reasonable for the Dayton DC25T-8 1" tweeter with a published freq. response of 3000-20000 Hz.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sorry but looking at the specs there is no way these drivers can properly function in a 2-way system. You'll need to use a midrange to get any kind of decent sound.

The other option is to return the drivers and purchase ones that will work in a 2-way.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"