X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_Rob
    • Mar 2005

Hey everyone !

Hey everybody, Im new to this forum, I just thought id get a post started to introduce myself, and see if I can get some advice on my first DIY project !

Im Robert, Im 19, new to the diy world of speaker building, But i do know a fair bit i have been doing my research. Im sure ill have lots of questions however, hopefully you all can help me started!

So I wanna build my first set of speakers. I've picked my drivers, Im gonna use the Hi-Vi M8A 8" midwoofer, and a TN25 tweeter. Id like to make a pair of 2 way towers that have a rock solid bass response, smooth highs, and a good overall clear sound, while being able to hit decent spl's, Im used to listening to lots of vega stuff, which is pretty loud, I guess thats what cerwin vega is good at, SPL. I wanted to make my towers either a ported MTM design, or a ported, TMM design. I think thats a good mix, I was thinking of doing a crossover at 1800 hz. However, I know very very, and i stress - very little about crossover design.

So I ask, Does this sound like a solid speaker system, and If so, Can someone help me design a crossover ?

BTW, my father is a carpenter, and i have access to some nice tools, I.e, table saw, router table, planner, jointer, biscuit cutter, etc etc. And lots of very exotic wood, so i can definetly make some pretty nice looking cabinets.

Thanks for any feedback !
  • Audio_Rob
    • Mar 2005

PS. I have a bit of a budget, not including wood, id like to keep the cost under 350$ American, wood is free mind you

Comment

• Audio_Rob
      • Mar 2005

Also, i was thinking of using 3 dayton rs180's per cabinet, although im not sure which would yield better results

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi and welcome.

Why don't you get started by reading this thread?

Well, this time my brother has asked about speakers. He's having a house built that will have a large family room and kitchen (19 x 50) open space. He's heard my LAs and wants decent speakers. He hasn't had a stereo setup in about ten years and is itching to get his jazz collection out of storage. Considering the size of the
        Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 14:31 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"