X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2Rivers
    • Mar 2005

Here I go....AGAIN!

After a hiatus of longer than I like to think about, I finally posess the time, money, and the facility to once again indulge in one of my earliest obsessions.

To give you an idea of the time frame I'm talking about, I remember actually wearing out David Weems classic book. The hardbound that I had to special order from our only bookstore. I'm positive I was the only guy in my small Va. hometown who had the slightest clue who Thiele and Small were and what's a parameter anyway!

Then of course there was the typical first-timers mistake of biting off more than I could chew. In my case it was a 44" tall ported 4-way monster made using 3/4 particle board and using all Audax drivers. Actually took a hand-truck to move it. Not to mention wearing the numbers off a TI calculater and nearly going blind trying to read a poorly photo-copied ream of Audax product specs (in French) with type so small a microscope would have come in handy.

This was all pre-internet of course. Heck it was pre-personal computer days.

Boy how times have changed.

If I had then the resources available now I might have picked a different career path. I was THAT obsessed.

As mentioned, I now have the means to re-addict myself to speaker design.
    In the coming weeks as I start my catching-up process I hope I can count on the abundance of talent, knowledge, and good-will the members here have.

I'm going to start by asking for advice concerning circular saws. What should I look for spec wise and are the ones that are laser equiped worthwile?

Looking forward to activley particapting here!

Regards,

Joe
  • Dustin B
    • Nov 2003

I've been doing a little bit of research on this front as I intend to purchase a circular saw and guide system this spring (table saw, router, drill press, sanders and nail guns to follow :E ). I've decided on the Porter Cable 325MAG. Features/quality has reviewed well, light, comfortable, good dust collection and reasonable price.

I'd forget about the laser guides. Can't remember which audio forum, but someone linked to the Eurekazone EZ Smart guide. Examining the product and reading some reviews I'm sold (on the Smart Table too).

Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

Welcome to the forum Joe!

You've come to the right place to feed you addiction.

Aside from a circular saw, you should also consider getting (if you dont already have) a plunge router, table saw and jigsaw.

The Weems book is great for the basics, there are also some new books like "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason which uses more modern techniques for designing. You will also learn plenty from reading the projects by ThomasW and JonMarsh here.

Comment

• 2Rivers
        • Mar 2005

Hi Dustin,

Thanks or the input re: circular saws. I know Porter-Cable makes a quality product.
        I'll check that model out closely.

I'm really intrigued by the Eurekazone sites offerings. In my situation, the space I can use as a workshop in the evenings and weekends has to revert to an automotive facility Mon-Friday. There is no space to set up a permanant shop.

Let me check this out further. There's a lot of info on that site and it's late here.

Regards.

Joe

Comment

• 2Rivers
          • Mar 2005

Hi Graham

Glad to be here! Thanks for the warm welcome!

This time around I want to take advantage of all the resources I can get my grubby paws aholt of!

Is aholt a word?
          Sure it is.
          At least here in the SE US.

The way I see it, I can research, model, dream....etc all I want. But I can't go any further till I can actually CUT some material. Yes the plunge router and jigsaw are next
          in line for purchase. I'll also be asking advise on air sanders and jigs. Already know I want a Jaser Jig for circles.

I;m going to try to purchase my tools on e-bay. I've been having a good run of luck there lately.

Wish I had something "juicy" to contribute to the community. But I've been out of it so long that my ideas are so old that Edgar Villechur (sp) would consider them anachronistic.

Regards;

Joe

Comment

• denverdoc
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by 2Rivers

Wish I had something "juicy" to contribute to the community. But I've been out of it so long that my ideas are so old that Edgar Villechur (sp) would consider them anachronistic.

Regards;

Joe

Joe,
            You may have arrived just in time, as many of us in the DIY community now seem hellbent on getting the air out of our suspensions, (dipoles, IB subs)
            John

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"