X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SonicBooMan
    • Jan 2005

How to Select Drivers

Thanks for all the great advice!

OK, I'm a neophyte in the DIY speakers. I've done some reading, but the books I've checked out from library are quite technical...formulas? yikes! I've read other materials but still have some nagging, unanswered questions.

Anyway, I thought that this new thread might help those of use who are beginners.

1. How does one go about selecting drivers without spending an arm and a leg? There are a plethora of drivers and price variances; and I certainly don't have the cash or time to test most of them.

2. What are the criteria for selecting drivers?

3. How can I tell (or guestimate) the sound quality of a driver without first hearing it? Does price play a significant role in the driver's sound quality? For example, I looked at the frequency response curve of the Dayton RS 8 & 10" drivers, and compared that to the SEAS Excel series 8 & 10" drivers. The curves show similar responses, yet the prices are sky high for the Excels.

4. How are drivers' physical dimensions specified? For example, is an 8" driver from manufacturer A the same size as an 8" from manufacturer B? Are the mounting flanges have the same dimensions?

5. How do various driver's components affect the sound quality? (e.g., aluminum, textile, paper, magnesium, others).

6. Do size of magnets matter?

Please post other helpful information.

Thanks, again.

SonicBooMan
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by SonicBooMan
    1. How does one go about selecting drivers without spending an arm and a leg?
    Close your eyes and become one with the force. Let all the good drivers come forward. If that fails, you browse forums and read what others say. Or just up and ask. If you want cheap drivers, you can just pick cheap drivers. Don't forget, a quality crossover isn't cheap either.

2. What are the criteria for selecting drivers?
    THE criteria? That they're perfect! Sooo many variables. And everyone has their preferred flavor. There is no single answer.

3. How can I tell (or guestimate) the sound quality of a driver without first hearing it?
    You can't. Not really. Response curve, distortion, impedance, all tell tales. You can probably get a pretty good sounding driver looking at these things, if you know what you are looking for.

Does price play a significant role in the driver's sound quality? For example, I looked at the frequency response curve of the Dayton RS 8 & 10" drivers, and compared that to the SEAS Excel series 8 & 10" drivers. The curves show similar responses, yet the prices are sky high for the Excels.
    Well, you now have the "yes" and the "no" answers figured out.

4. How are drivers' physical dimensions specified? For example, is an 8" driver from manufacturer A the same size as an 8" from manufacturer B? Are the mounting flanges have the same dimensions?
    Most will give you actual dimensions along with whatever size they decide to call a driver. They're not guaranteed to be standard at all.

5. How do various driver's components affect the sound quality? (e.g., aluminum, textile, paper, magnesium, others).

6. Do size of magnets matter?

Please post other helpful information.
    Read those books. If you're reading math stuff and it doesn't make sense, skim through it and don't understand it, but keep reading. Proper answers to your questions take a book to answer thoroughly. Read some other stuff. Then go back to the sections you skimmed to see if they make sense yet. You can grasp a healthy portion without understanding the math thoroughly. Every time I think I understand something, I come across some new bit of knowledge that proves I only knew a little. I can only assume this will continue.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

You're asking the right questions.

The thing to realize about cone drivers is that, at low frequencies, they act like a rigid piston and at higher frequencies they start to "break up" i.e. not all parts of the cone are moving the same direction at the same time. Distortion rises when that happens. There are two general schools about picking cones. One camp prefers soft (paper, polypropylene, etc) cones because the breakup is gradual and they tend to have a smooth frequency response. The other camp prefers rigid cones (metal, carbon, etc.) because they will act as pure pistons to a much higher frequency than the soft cones. However, once the rigid cones do break up, it's really nasty and it takes extra crossover components (and design skill) to suppress that breakup. By contrast, crossover design for a soft cone is relatively easy. So it's one of those engineering tradeoffs. Hard cones potentially sound better but only if you have the skill (and money) to deal with their nasty characteristics up high.

You'll find that our resident guru, Jon, is in the hard cone camp.

The other part of the equation besides cones is motors (magnet and voice coil.) Some motors have more distortion than others. The details are too complex to go into here. Forum member Capslock is really into motors so read his postings to get an idea of the issues involved. Just be aware that price isn't necessarily an indication of which is better.

Just some food for thought to help you realize that easy questions don't always have easy answers.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

And when you're ready to wrap your mind around test data, check out MFK's site for his projects and testing, as well as MarkK's. Google is your friend.

Then, there's the LDSG guide, (Loudspeaker Designer Selection Guide) with all kins of data and links, and educational commentary:

LDSG

There's quite a few driver discussion threads on Mission Possible DIY, so reset the thread dates to go back a year a so, and do some browsing.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• taz13
          • Jun 2004

And for a whole list of links that might help.
          The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
          Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"