• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkR
    • Jan 2005

Spare 2ch amp for a diy sub?

I am keen to build my own subwoofer and have a spare 100w
    2ch amp. Can this be used to run a bipolar subwoofer and are there
    any kits or plans out there for such a beast?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

By bipolar subwoofer, I'm guessing you mean a cabinet with two drivers, arranged on opposite walls for force cancellation.

In principle, this is possible to do with reasonable results with a 100W per chanel amplifier, IF certain criteria are followed. First, you'll have to pick moderately sensitive medium throw drivers which are available to you in New Zealand. Over here, good candidates would be the Ascendent Audio Atlas 12, the Peerles XLS 12 (less Xmax, but not a problem with 100W), and the TC Sounds/OAudio TC2+. Then, you'd have to use them in a fairly large box, because you don't have the power available to use an equalizer and overcome the bottome end roll off. I'd shoot for an alignment using Unibox for a Q of 0.566 to 0.6. If building a box isn't your thing, then a sonotube sub might be the say to go- those are the cardboard formers used for making concrete tubes. With a really large box, you might even consider an EBS alignment ported, instead of sealed (see the thread on this board about Atlas 12 in ported alignment), but it might be more practical to build into two boxes.

What you have to give up if you want deep bass with not much power is the small enclosure- physics dictate you'll have to have a large enclosure, or go IB (infinite baffle) if you have the room to build it in to your home, with the rear wave venting into a basement or attic.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"