X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hardg
    • Jan 2005

Plexiglass tube for sonosub

Hi, just wondering if a plexiglass tube would be strong enough to use as an alternative to a sonotube? If it's doable, I thik it would be damn cool looking, and it would save me the trouble of painting or veneering the thing :B

If it's doable, any recommendations for wall thickness? It's gonna be a sealed tube for an 18" sub. Any recommendations on where I could buy something like that? Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

For a sealed design to sound good, you need to stuff the inside of the tube with damping material. That sort defeats the purpose of using transparent material.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

What about if ported Thomas, could it still sound pretty good?

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

To sound their 'best' ported subs should be lined with damping material. So same result.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• hardg
          • Jan 2005

Ah, damn. I neglected to consider that. :cry:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I could still look pretty cool though if you lined the inside with something that could be seen from the outside...or put in a LED light like the PC cases have and really pimp it out

Comment

• hardg
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
              I could still look pretty cool though if you lined the inside with something that could be seen from the outside...or put in a LED light like the PC cases have and really pimp it out
              True..but what I really wanted to do was put the 18" Avalanche that I bought on permanent display.

Comment

• hayden
                • Nov 2003

While it would be "cool" - don't forget that even if you could get you hands on a 20+ inch 3/4" thick plexiglas/lexan tube the cost would be prohibitive (I shudder to think what it would be.)
                JP

Comment

• taz13
                  • Jun 2004

With patence you could heat roll a flat piece of 1/4" plexi and solvent weld it. Its a cylinder so it doesn't need to be 3/4" thick. IMO anyway
                  The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                  Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• hayden
                    • Nov 2003

I agree, 3/4" might be overkill - but I was thinking of the mounting flange for the large/heavy 18" Avalanche.
                    JP

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

hardg, what state are you in?

BB

Comment

• denverdoc
                        • Aug 2004

Sure a 1/2 inch cylindrical plex tube will be plenty rigid, but if you're gonna do it, how bout concentric tubes with some lava lamp materials in between, so that the convection and vibration from the pounder ought to provide additional interest to the display.

The proposed stuffing only creates a volume increase by trapping each molecule in a Minotaur's labyrinth, and is dispensible, but size up accordingly!

It might be the first of its kind. But before committing this kind of $$$$, perhaps make your own 1/8 thick butyrate tube from materials available at any art/drafting supply source.
                        JRS

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"