X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hardg
    • Jan 2005

Avalanche 18 Sonosub help, please

So I've decided to go with an 18" Avalanche in a sealed 4.6 cube sonotube, powered with a 500 watt plate amp. Does the tube need any internal bracing?

I was also thinking of trying to flush mount my plate amp onto the tube, like SVS does with their tubes. Is this advisable? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about doing this, or will it compromise the strenght of the tube? Thanks guys.
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

When you say sonotube, are you talking about the sonotubes used to form concrete?
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Tube subs do not need internal bracing. Actually bracing would create asymetrical pressure on the walls of the tube.

I would not subject an amp to the vibrations from a high excursion 18" driver

You'll need a 8" diameter port to prevent chuffing.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• hardg
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
        When you say sonotube, are you talking about the sonotubes used to form concrete?
        Yup. I'm pretty sure those are the only tubes that are used for this, actually.

Comment

• hardg
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Tube subs do not need internal bracing. Actually bracing would create asymetrical pressure on the walls of the tube.

I would not subject an amp to the vibrations from a high excursion 18" driver

You'll need a 8" diameter port to prevent chuffing.
          Thanks, Thomas. I didn't think they needed any bracing, but I had to ask, as I've seen a couple of people use bracing in their build pics. This makes it a lot easier now, which i like!

Now I just need to figure out where I'm gonna put the plate amp. Does anyone have any suggestions or pics of their own sonosubs with a plate amp? Please post if you do.

I was thinking of painting the whole thing with some sort of textured paint. The stuff that gives it the texture of stone. And then paint some runes on it. Kind of like a stonehenge theme. I know, it's geeky, but I love that stuff.
          :B

Comment

• Dustin B
            • Nov 2003

Here is my solution to the problem of mounting a plate amp to the tube.

and here is another solution.

Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• hardg
              • Jan 2005

Hey, can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to mounting the driver on the top or bottom of the tube? It's gonna be sealed, by the way. thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

No sonic advantage either way. Downfiring of course tends to protect the driver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

It occurs to me it might not be nearly as easy to tip over a sonotube sub with the woofer at the bottom than at the top....
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"