X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toychris
    • Jan 2005

Sonotube Dimensions

Hi,

Since you all have helped me out a lot in the way of reccomendations, I was wondering if you could help me with one more thing. I am making a sub for our theatre room and was wondering the dimensions for overall length of the tube, as well as the port length. I plan on using 18, or 24" PVC pipe, whichever my dad can get for free, and I have a Infinity Perfect 12.1D Sub, which can be wired for a 8 ohms. The website address for this sub is at http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT12.1D'&Ser=KPE&C at=SUB
    It is probably unusual to use a car-audio sub for use with a home project, but it is what I have to use. I was thinking about just getting the usual 250W plate amp from parts express, mostly because of the price. I know it would be best to put at least 350W towards it, but the range of power that is reccomended is 150-350W RMS. Would it be best to run it at 4ohms instead of 8? The amp is rated to take it, so it should. The XMAX is 14.15 mm, so a smaller enclosure would help the sub from over extension right? Wouldn't it be best to get it down to the 18 Hz range? I know that the PVC thing is different, but with polyfill or foam, I think all the standing waves inside would be eliminated. Any woodwork is not a problem, as I have a full woodshop at my disposal.

Your help would be much appreciated. I don't know a whole lot about subwoofer tuning, and the use of computer programs to get what I want. I just want to say--"I made that sub"

Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There are no standing waves in a tube sub.

I've already done a design for this driver. Bing built his in a box but that doesn't change the specs.

110 L enclosure (net internal volume), 4" diameter flared port 15" long.

Here's Bing's box and driver

Image not available
    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 13:32 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• toychris
      • Jan 2005

Sonotube

Do I need a flared port?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Do I need a flared port?
        Yes if you want to avoid 'chuffing'

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• toychris
          • Jan 2005

Sonotube

Hi Again,

Do I have to also add in the polyfill when calculating the internal dimensions? I am using a PVC, the internal diameter is 17-3/4" I calculated the length at a little over 27". But I did not calculate that with polyfill. Do I need to drop the diameter and calculate it to 17"????. 27" seems small, but that is what I got for the 110L internal volume.

Thanks and your help is very much appreciated.

Chris

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

No you don't make any adjustments for damping materials

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• toychris
              • Jan 2005

thanks

Wow, that was quick. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"