X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

Dipole install/FR question

My room is 12' x 13'. My couch is along a 13' wall and facing me is, of course, the other 13' wall...at the far left of which is the door. Were I to install dipole-suitable drivers at some point along/through this wall, using it as a baffle, would it function as a dipole (with the door open, of course)? Or would the fact that it couldn't achieve a figure-8 radiation negate dipole benefits? I'm thinking the latter, just curious as to what would happen in-room.
    Here's a really silly rendering:

Thanks in advance for humoring me.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm sorry we don't provide technical assistance to people with fuschia colored sofas ........ :roflmao:

Okay there is more latitude of placement with a dipole but they still need room to breathe. A line array in the corner to the right of the front speakers is probably your best bet. If that corner is otherwise unoccupied.

Did you happen to see the corner loaded variant of the Linkwitz baffle that was featured in AudioXpress a month or so ago?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
      • Aug 2001

I'm sorry we don't provide technical assistance to people with fuschia colored sofas ........
      What can I say? I'm recently single again and got such a deal...

Okay there is more latitude of placement with a dipole but they still need room to breathe. A line array in the corner to the right of the front speakers is probably your best bet. If that corner is otherwise unoccupied.
      I'm thinking maybe four Atlas 12's in a line array as far right on the wall as studs will allow...that way they'd use the rest of teh wall, maybe an ~8' baffle? What might I expect in-room?

Did you happen to see the corner loaded variant of the Linkwitz baffle that was featured in AudioXpress a month or so ago?
      No, sir. But years ago, when I was on the phone with Dan Wiggins purchasing my DPL 12's, he suggested that one idea for dipole was to have a straight flat baffle starting at a side wall and extending out a few feet. My plan seems similar in concept, save the baffle is larger and extends from floor to ceiling.

Comment

• jdybnis
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
        I'm not convinced that that design was actually a dipole. The author was unable to measure polar response. Also the placement effects he described was that it sounded boomy in the corner of the room and open in the center of the room. That is the opposite of what I'd expect of a dipole.
        -Josh

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Dan's statement is correct there are resonances with the folded designs, plus they're a lot more complicated to build.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"