X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Since I have to make a box....

Resigning myself to enclosing the RD50s and RS180s in an enclosure, I've been thinking about the best way to go about it. It seems prudent to seperate the 2 enclosures with a partition, to keep the rear pressure of the 150s from interfering with the effortless nature of the B&Gs. With that in mind, I was pondering the best way to kill the back wave reflections of the ribbons in the enclosure w/o affecting it's performance. Stuffing, or at the least, some absorption on the rear of the enclosure is what I'm thinking, but how much and what? The internal depth will be ~26" but width will be minimal at ~3" or so. I'm worried that a fully stuffed enclosure will cause too much resistive force on the ribbon. Do I worry too much? Types of stuffing on hand include plenty of OC703 2" semi rigid fiberglass, standard fiberglass, polyfill and high content wool felt in various thicknesses.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Resigning myself to enclosing the RD50s and RS180s in an enclosure
    Why?

Separate the rear waves, either separate boxes or a parition.

There is no resistive force on the planar from the damping. :wink:

Stuff the bass section with Miraflex

The best damping material for the RD50 is long fiber wool. You'll need to use something to keep it from settling.

Here's the box design for the $55,000 Wisdom speaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	pict_m-75.gif
Views:	11
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	948255
    Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 14:30 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

Long fiber wool, huh? The one ingredient I don't have...... How about a mix of polyfill up front and 703 in the back?

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Let's look around for some long fiber wool. I'm pretty sure I have the address of a supplier located on the east coast. There's an audible benefit to using it over any other damping material.

Did you get my email about building the subwoofer box?

Click image for larger version

Name:	B&GMonopole.gif
Views:	405
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	841490
        Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 08:45 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"