• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yudhich
    • Jan 2005

A newbie needs suggestions

Hi,

I live in Indonesia.

I never build any speaker box before, I have bought a small power 5.1 speakers for my DVD player, but I disappointed with the sub, so I have a thought to build subs. I have two 8" drivers from my old 3 ways speaker box and I want to use it to build my subs and I don't know it brands. My living room about 9.8 x 16.4 x 9.5
    My considerations:
    1. deep clear bass
    2. loud is good but not loud
    3. optimal size not too big nor too small
    4. box design not tube
    5. one design for my HT and one for car

Could you guys throw me a suggestion on designing those subs, better with the dimension and more better with picture

Thanks and regards,
    Yudhi
  • CJ Paul
    • Oct 2004

There are far more knowledgeable sub people here, but to get the ball rolling, they're probably going to need more information about the woofers. I was going to ask what brand they were, but it looks like you dont know. If they were woofers out of a three way speaker, they probably dont have the excursion necessary to make a very good sub. It could be tough to meet even your first requirement.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi, and welcome.....

The 8" drivers from your old 3-ways are woofers, and aren't designed to be used as subwoofers. If you put them in a box that's tuned for subwoofer use you'll just destroy them.

Your best bet would be to look around for some car audio subwoofers, then we can design a box for them. We will need the T/S parameters of whatever driver you chose...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• yudhich
        • Jan 2005

Thanks Paul and Thomas,

It seems I have to find new subs drivers. Ok for my room size, what is the size of subs driver do u suggest?

Regards,

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

My living room about 9.8 x 16.4 x 9.5
          Is this meters or feet?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• yudhich
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
            Is this meters or feet?
            This is is feet

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

A pair of 12" drivers will be fine.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"