X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • droz2112
    • Jan 2005

motorized speaker mount

Hello,

The way that my HT is set up, room size and placement, I have one speaker that hangs in the middle of no where.. I wanted to see if anyone knows where I could get a retractable motorized speaker mount. I have a hung ceiling that I would have the speaker recess in when not in use.

Thanks

Dan
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

If you have room for it above your ceiling, probably the cheapest way would be to use a garage door opener to operate cables running through pulleys. Most of them have a pretty good range of adjustment for where the up and down shutoff switches activate.

Comment

• CJ Paul
      • Oct 2004

I would think there would have to be something more economical. What if it were manual. I was thinking when I first saw this thread that you could have a square hole in your ceiling that the speaker went into. Then have a plate that covers the hole when closed. Rig up a simple pully system so that when you slide the plate open, the speaker drops down, when you slide it closed, it pulls up.

Comment

• droz2112
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for the replies, I am not sure I want to go that direction just yet, I was hoping for a solution that was on the market that I could just install. I will keep looking and if I need to make my own perhaps I will have to go with some of your options.

Thanks…

Dan

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The only thing out-of-the-box ready would be a retracting projector mount, and those are just a bit $pendy .... :E

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

BAck when I was getting into HT, I was convinced I could use a 32"tv on a "stage" upfront, but have the tv on a A(w)ton (spelled incorectly) tv lift and sit my cenetr speaker on top of the cover above my tv..
            I'd have a projection screen wall mounted just above the stage, covered by motorized curtains - my retracted tv would have enough clearance above it to allow the center channel speaker to sit just below the bottom of the screen and be used for both tv and projector duty. (tv up, no need for seeing the screen...)

But alas, the tv lift suitable for a 32: tv would have cost me about 2000 buck$ CDN....

BAck to the drawing board...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"