X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

The standard by which to judge...

Out of curiosity, is there a consensus on which 2-way, meant for speaker stand sized, DIY speaker is the reference standard by which to judge others?

Would I be asking too much for a Top 10 list?

Thanks in advance.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

This is sort of like asking what are the top ten best 'pizzas'. Sort of depends on what one's wants, likes and needs.

Also one should factor in other considerations such as..

size of room
    output level needed
    efficiency
    type of music played or for HT use
    cost
    etc
    etc
    etc.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jdybnis
      • Dec 2004

Do you care about deep bass or not?
      -Josh

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by whoaru99
        Out of curiosity, is there a consensus on which 2-way, meant for speaker stand sized, DIY speaker is the reference standard by which to judge others?

Would I be asking too much for a Top 10 list?

Thanks in advance.

Does this qualify as stand mounted?

Click image for larger version

Name:	M8Stand2SS.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	948779

OTOH, why limit one's self to stand mounted two ways? Floor standers don't really have a significantly bigger footprint, and they eleminate the cost of the stand...

Name:	M8taImperial-V3-SS.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	948780

Seriously, besides issues of cost and complexity to build, there is, as ThomasW alluded, that intransigent matter of taste; I'm sure if you asked Dave Ellis, Danny Ritchie, Dennis Murphy, John Krutke, Geoffrey Dillon, Rick Craig, John Krevosky, Joseph D'Apollito, etc, what the best DIY two way was, you'd get different and plural answers, even from each of these designer's own portfolios.

It all depends....

Then, Hank would come along and remind us that small stand mounted two ways are a waste of time, as they can't reproduce the dynamics and complexities of acoustic band music at anything approaching realistic playback levels without horrendous IM and THD. And he'd be right, too. it requires a fairly awesome speaker just to make a passing simulcrum of a baby grand in your living room, much less a brass and wind orchestra.

Well, enough pot stirring for today. :B
        Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 13:23 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Jon, you've got what I would characterize as a bad-boy streak. Pot-stirring is a specialty if done right, and you deserve a certificate on your wall. :T

Okay, intransigent is acceptable as your unique word of the post, BUT simulcrum is going a bit far. Step back from the keyboard and go have a beer. :beer: :laughat:

And, it's Symphonic Band, not orchestra. Not just brass and percussion, but plenty of woodwinds as well. Sheesh. :wink:

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Well, it's a little early in the day for a beer, but I've been invited out to lunch for Mongolian Barbecue, so maybe I'll at least have a cream soda... :^x

And it looks like I stirred your pot successfully, too, eh?

:B

Yes, LOTS of woodwinds! :yesnod: :agree:

:rofl:
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

Let me try to hit as many as I can -

Room size: 10ft x 15ft

Max output needed: 90-100db

Sensitivity: => 80 should permit the output @ ~1/2 my amplifier power

Type of music, 2-ch, almost anything except Rap and Rap-like music. No HT with these.

Cost: $500 give or take (cabs not included - function over form is fine here. in other words ugly is fine)

Deep bass not particulary important for these speakers.

The first picture is what I would say appears to be on the large size for my view of stand mounted speakers, but yes, I suppose they could qualify as stand mounted.

Why not floor standing? Sort of hit the nail on the head with added complexity and cost of build, limited woodworking facilities. Also, I'm just somewhat intrigued with good sound from small packages.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• GrahamT
                • Oct 2004

It sounds like the "Adire Extremis MT" project might be right up your alley. I am doing a 34L version tuned to 25Hz and Jon is doing the crossover and a 21L version. The smaller design will probably suit you better and you could buy the same cabs from Parts Express that Jon is using if you cannot build your own. You said deep bass isn't important but both designs should dig into the twenties in room.

It should meet your needs you mentioned and should be able to take a lot of power. I think efficiency will be better that 80 dB but Jon would know more since he is doing the crossover.

The cost is about $200 for two Extremis', $80 for two LPG 26Ts and then ports binding posts and then the crossover. I dont know how much the crossover would be in US maybe Jon could comment there.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by whoaru99
                  Let me try to hit as many as I can -

Room size: 10ft x 15ft

Max output needed: 90-100db

Sensitivity: => 80 should permit the output @ ~1/2 my amplifier power

Type of music, 2-ch, almost anything except Rap and Rap-like music. No HT with these.

Cost: $500 give or take (cabs not included - function over form is fine here. in other words ugly is fine)

Deep bass not particulary important for these speakers.

The first picture is what I would say appears to be on the large size for my view of stand mounted speakers, but yes, I suppose they could qualify as stand mounted.

Why not floor standing? Sort of hit the nail on the head with added complexity and cost of build, limited woodworking facilities. Also, I'm just somewhat intrigued with good sound from small packages.

OK, this gives one a little more to work wtih. Your first inquiry was VERY wide open, little to qualify the parameters.

When you say $500, is this each or per pair?

First, a few introductory words may be in order.

There are a number of forums associated with DIY Mfrs who offer kits for sale, or plans for sale, etc. THIS isn't one of them.l

We're just a loose collection of hobbyists and music lovers, some with past experience in this business, some with current connections. We aren't selling anything here, just sharing info.

There are a number of DIY kits/designs available on the market, from companies like Adire Audio, Ellis Audio, GR Research, Madisound, Salk Sound, Selah Audio, Newform Research, Creative Sound Solutions, Zalytron, E-Speakers, etc. Some use standard off the shelf drivers, some use proprietary drivers made for them by an OEM. A distinguishing feature of companies like this is that their IP isn't available for free, but they do offer support and warranties.

There are also a number of hobbyists who share some of their designs through personal web sites- John Krutke, Keith Kidder, Dennis Murphy, John Kreskov, and many more- too many to list, but not too many to Google.

Audio DIY Central is a good resource for finding out more about people involved in these endeavors.

I design a few speakers for different applications, most not in the price range of $500 per pair for materials. That first picture posted above is for a 8' two way system which was featured in a three part article series in AudioXpress in the autumn of 2003- September, October, November, "An Unorthodox Eight Inch Two Way Speaker". The version featured in the article was a "cost down" version and the result of four different versions stating in 2000. It was cost down by using a Vifa XT25 tweeter instead of ScanSpeak D2904/9800. A pair of the latter tweeters is almost $400 by themselves. They're pretty solid in the low end down to the mid 30's at playback levels like you describe (up to 100 dB peak) with efficiency about 83 dB/watt.

One complexity and cost factor making it possible to have an 8" two way with good off axis dispsersion throughout the crossover region is a relatively complex (expensive) crossover. This is an example crossover of this topology and type- as used in the tower version.

Name:	M8taSchmV4RC1SS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	948781

Note that a "premium" implementation of this crossover, with 12AWG woofer and tweeter shunt coils, and AudioCAP Theta film and foil caps in the tweeter networks, isn't inexpensive either- but make significant differences to the sound quality.

The tower version, as shown in the 2nd two pictures, differs in details about how strong the cabinet is (minimizing spurious radiation from side walls) and the volume and bass tuning (this version goes down to the mid 20's). Also, this version uses a Dayton RS225 with either a Hales or SEAS tweeter such as the Millenium Excel.

There are a few projects being completed in the next month or so that may be of interest, and in the price range you're thinking about (assuming $500 pair).

The smallest are three different MT designs, though a larger version is also being built by Graham, as he describes. Two are based on the Extremis 6 woofer from Adire, with either the LPG26T tweeter, or the Millenium Excel tweeter. There's also an MT design I've been kicking around for a friend back East that I may finally build, using a Peerless 850439 midwoofer with SEAS 27TDFC, which will use a simpler series crossover, not being inteded for SPL's above the mid 90's.

In the thread about MTMs, we're discussing two MTM designs based on the Dayton RS180 7" midwoofer. One is intended for center channel or mains, but the cost on that one, due to the ScanSpeak 6000 tweeter, would be too high. The other is intended just as a "mains" or music speaker mounted conventionally. Both use a very similar crossover to that shown above - a cauer-elliptic filter emulating the transfer function of an 8th order Linkwitz-Riley. This is the same type used in the M8 two way and the M8ta tower.

This graph of measured response on and off axis to -45 degrees was made with an inexpensive Behringer mic, and so shows roll off above 13 kHz which isn't present in the actual design. But note the lack of a hole in the presence region off axis, where most two way systems have problems because of beaming of the mid woofer.

Name:	V4SweepSS.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	948782

This is a hallmark of having not only smooth axial response, but smooth total power response, which is just as important to the perceived balance of the speaker. This is enabled by this crossover design, which makes relatively low crossover frequencies usable; 1250 Hz in this case. This is one of the key reasons I use this approach- that and being able to stay away from the non-pistonic operating areas of the midwoofer.

~Jon
                  Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 13:24 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hank
                    And, it's Symphonic Band, not orchestra. Not just brass and percussion, but plenty of woodwinds as well. Sheesh. :wink:
                    Hmmm, best go with orchestra there Hank. Symphonic band sounds like a whole buncha 'dem good ol' boys wid fiddles 'n skin drums 'n such like.... :B

I realize this didn't contribute in the least to this thread, but I couldn't let that passage go by un-scathed. You all understand, right? Right? :yesnod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Hey David,

I ALWAYS enjoy it when you drop in amongst us to make your comments and contributions! Especially when they're aimed at Hank, not me!

You know, one of these days when you guys have a Houston area get together, you're going to have to give me a little notice so I can see if I can put something together with some frequent flyer miles (lord only knows I've got plenty of those!) and join the party- we ought to even be able to get Hank to pop down from Austin, huh?

Just something to think about- I always seem too rushed on my "official" trips to Houston for HP, and it would be hard to make one of those coincide with a HTG get together.

~Jon
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

Hmmm, best go with orchestra there Hank. Symphonic band sounds like a whole buncha 'dem good ol' boys wid fiddles 'n skin drums 'n such like....
                        "Fiddles" are violins, and as I said, we have now "strings".

You non-Texans, please don't take this hick's post as representative of a Texan's mentality level. He's probably an Arkansas transplant, inserted here in an attempt to lower our average I.Q. level. Texans are intelligent, loqatious, and coherent, quite unlike the Houston boy. For instance, the highest number of books read per capita in the nation is right here in Austin. And no, David, that's NOT "comic" books.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Whoooo, boy, there, did someone strike a nerve?

Having gone to High School and graduated in Texarkana, believe me, every good fearing rock and roll musician I knew at that time's first and foremost dream was to move to Austin... except mine, I went to Colorado. Well, I've always been a slow learner and a late bloomer.

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

I was under the impression that the rest of Texas wanted to get rid of all the folks in Austin 'cause it didn't fit in right. Of course, I have a famous great-uncle that's a Texan, so I know y'all aren't *all* bad. :P

Oh yeah. Fiddles are NOT violins. They might qualify as "fallen" violins. And the bow is very different. As is the technique. If you can call fiddling "technique".

Guess what I've played for 25+ years. . .

C
                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• shokhead
                              • Jan 2005

B&W 603's on short stands,about 8" so the tweeter is ear level,more or less and my 601's on taller stands so they are the same height.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

The original question was in regards to DIY speakers; i.e., do it yourself. Just out of curiousity, what do the B&W models you have cost?

Best regards,

Jon
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2002

heh-heh

Comment

• shokhead
                                    • Jan 2005

$750 for the 603's and $300 for the 601's and #300 for the CC6. That was in 99.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                      • Jul 2004

Had to dive in somewhere, so I'm going to listen to the Ellis Audio 1801b. This speaker may or may not be what I'm looking for but it is a place to start.

Seems like a fair deal for an in-home audition just to pay shipping to the next person and write a review. Well, so long as the next person is not at an Antarctic research station, that is.

They should be here this coming Monday.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

The Ellis's are well regarded designs, and compare well with much more expensive commercial speakers. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is not with regars to tonal balance or quality, just how loud they play. A single 7" midwoofer has limits in that regard, but within those limits they're very good speakers.

~Jon
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"