X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfishmike
    • Mar 2004

Hardie concrete backerboard as a liner?

Hi all,

I've built a dual driver 12" Titanic MKIII sub and am going to remove the 4" port and add 4 15" passive radiators to it. I've got them on order from Acoustic Elegance. While I've got the unit dis-assembled, I thought about lining the inside walls with a layer of 30 # roofing felt, and a layer of 1/4 or 3/8 " James Hardie concrete backer board to further help reduce cabinet resonance. The concrete siding material is on my new home, and drastically reduces the sound to the outside. Has anyone in the group used this material in your projects? The walls are 1 1/8" particle board already, but there is a certain amount of radiating resonance, even with heavy internal bracing, which I'll lose some of when I install the pr's. I'm open to any thoughts, and thanks in advance.

Mike Cason
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

As long as the Fs of the cabinet is out of the woofer's passband and the walls don't flex, the construction of the box doesn't much matter.

I doubt that you'd gain much using the backer board. There won't be much surface area left after you cut the holes for the PRs. It takes a ton of added mass to get the Fs lower than the passband.

I'd recommend adding a layer of 3/4" ply (BB if possible) to stiffen the box. Then add the max amount of bracing possible, the goal being to raise the cab Fs.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mfishmike
      • Mar 2004

Hi again Thomas,

Looks like I've got to get into the books to figure out those F's.

I was reading Vance Dickason's cookbook and read about the double-walled design of a couple of other builders, and the concrete board would seem to be a much better damper than the multiple felt layers, or double sheetrock layers. That's what this stuff is all about.....trying and playing.....glad it's hobby! It's sure fun when you're done and it sounds good....kinda like a well executed 9 iron shot to the pin..... :lol:

Thanks again....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"