X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

Sliver soldering?

I'm wanting to use some Eichmann bayonet plugs in my system. I've done a bit of looking into them and they seem to be a very innovative design with a firm ethos on how the transfer of the audio signals should be undertaken.

They say in their literature to silver solder the speaker cable to the bayonet plug for best result, so that exactly what I'll do, after I learn how.

Do you need a torch to do so or can I use my basic 40W soldering iron.
    I have no idea how to apply silver solder, if its the same as regular solder I'm ok. Is there a resource online I can go to? Any help would be great.
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The technique for silver solder is the same as nonsilver solder. However silver solder has a higher melting temperature as compared to other solders. Depending on the % of silver in the solder, it's possible that your 40 watt iron won't do the job.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Real silver solder (such as I use for securing non-ferrous metals when making chalaces and the like) takes a torch and nothing but metal anywhere close.

Silver content solder for electric work will melt with a 40W iron but does take more heat. Use heatsinks when soldering critical components that can be damaged by heat (caps, IC's, etc.)

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"