X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David R.
    • Apr 2003

New tempest enclosure

Decided to replace my "Cylinder" home sub with a traditional box.. The results:

Images not available

Like most pictures, the finish didnt photograph well.. The color is more even/uniform then the picture shows.

It's a 15" tempest with the DT300 plate amp in a 122L sealed enclosure..

Just need to build a grill for the front.
    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 13:02 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You do nice work David :T

Comment

• David R.
      • Apr 2003

Thanks..

Your tumult project turned out great to.. Not sure if i posted that in your thread..

I will try posting a freq. response chart tonight.. Looks decent other then a drop around 80hz.. possibly a phase problem with the mains.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I had a drop off at the XO point too...try inverting the phase and see if that doens't clean it up.

And thanks for the comments on my new unit.

Comment

• David R.
          • Apr 2003

I actually did try adjusting the phase control on the plate amp.. made a 1 or maybe 2 db difference.

Weird thing is that if i disconnect the mains and only play the subs.. The drop out remains.. It almost looks like the recievers crossover is set lower then 80hz, like 65-70hz. But if i move the sub from the front corner location (Shown in picture) to a spot to the side of the couch (Against one wall).. The problem is gone, and the sub is flat to the xover point.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

What happens then if you move the XO up or down? Its likely just a room mode at that spot that just happens to be the XO point as well.

Comment

• David R.
              • Apr 2003

^ I will have to check again.. But if i remember from my initial testing a week ago, the drop off actually moved when i changed the xover from 80 to 100hz..

i will double check, and post a couple freq. responses tonight.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Interesting...which receiver do you have? ( A denon if I recall correctly)

Comment

• David R.
                  • Apr 2003

^ Denon 2802..

Im going to do some measuring tonight, and also try moving the meter around to different spots.

Comment

• David R.
                    • Apr 2003

So after doing some testing i have indeed found it to be a room node.

When i set the xover to 120hz and retested, the level droped 10+dB at around 100hz, and then jump back up after. I then tested the mains (Sub is placed right next to the mains) by turning the sub off and setting the mains to large.. Yep dropped at 100hz..

Anyway.. I figured i would post a chart.. It includes the mains, xover is set at 80hz.. And im using 6db of boost at 20hz in the amp..

Image not available

When i place the sub next to the couch, its pretty flat to 20hz with OUT any eq boost at all.. But the rest of the response isnt as good, theres a big suck out at 50hz (almost 15db), and a 5db drop at 63hz.
                    Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 13:03 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Not bad David. You might consider buying RickS's BFD though to dial in a nice house curve and take care of that dip.

Comment

• David R.
                        • Apr 2003

I have been thinking about picking up a BFD actually.. Not sure who RickS is though.. is he local or?

Comment

• Bent
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2003

Hehehe, maybe we could start a bidding war.

Comment

• taz13
                            • Jun 2004

Bfd

if you want to buy new, fleet pro sound and lighting out of Ottawa is pretty decent for prices and shipping in Canada
                            The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                            Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Paul H
                              • Feb 2004

I think it's currently cheaper to buy from forum sponsor PE, considering the exchange and $5 border fee. I just ordered one from there myself.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"