X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

Trouble with Parts Express 250W sub amp

Hello all. I just recently completed my DIY tempest sub using THIS amp. It performs beyond my expectations! As this is my first DIY sub, I have a few questions about how it is acting.

If I run the sub by itself I can still hear voices or other higher frequency sounds coming from the sub. This is with the crossover set to ~80hz and using the line level inputs. Is this normal? It seems to me that included crossover is either not working properly, or of just low quality. If this isn't normal, what steps can I take to fix this situation?

Thanks!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Is this normal?
    Yes. The crossovers in these amps are not 'brickwall' filters.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

This sub crossover likely filters out sound above at the cut-off at 12 dB per octave, so with setting at 80 Hz, 160 Hz is down 12 dB, 320 Hz is down 24dB, etc. The crossover is not a brick wall total cutoff.

It is entirely possible that you can hear voices through the sub. Try a movie like LOTR with heavy bass/LFE - in that case the substantial low end bass will 'drown out' any voices from the sub.

Paul

Comment

• maximumshow
        • Nov 2004

This sub crossover likely filters out sound above at the cut-off at 12 dB per octave
        Yes I believe the specs on the amp say it is 12db per octave.

I was planning on getting a BFD in the near future. Along with helping any negative room response, will it allow me to set a larger or steeper slope on the signal going to the amp?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"