X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidfunke
    • Oct 2004

New DIYer speaker project

I am relatively new to the DIY world. I have built a tumult based sub, an av15 sub, and some TB full range computer speakers with cherry veneer that look very nice. I would like to build some inexpensive speakers for my bed room. I am fascinated with this stuff and my woodworking skills are getting pretty good. Eventually I would like to build a full kick ass system, but I want to start slow. I know a kit is the best choice. I would like to assemble the crossover myself so I can get some experience.

Any suggestions of a very inexpensive set of speakers to build to get me started. Maybe a budget of $150 or so for parts not including wood. I have an old infinity sub, so it doesn't need to go below 60 hz. Size is not a real issue. I am looking for the best possible sound for the money, to start working on my speaker building expertise.

David
  • cdwitmer
    • Sep 2004

Especially if you have a subwoofer, my personal inclination on your budget would be to go with a fullrange driver. Unless you want to add a supertweeter, you won't get much crossover experience from that. (Crossover experience isn't all it's cracked up to be.) In the realm of fullrange drivers, besides the usual suspects such as Fostex, there is an interesting newcomer you might want to look into:

The 16-ohm version (nice for wiring multiple units in parallel) is on sale $99/pair until Nov. 15. The 8-ohm version is no longer available at the introductory price. Depending on your listening tastes, this fullrange driver may require a supertweeter, as it started off life as a tiny woofer. The bottom end is (reportedly) so good you may find you have little need for that sub.

Comment

• Hank
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2002

David, welcome to the world of ever-upgrading DIY! If your budget is extremely limited at this time, go ahead and build a CS kit with TB full ranges. Brian B and I designed our small ones around TB drivers (we went through 3 models before finding a fairly smooth response model). He calls his the RAD Micro, and I call mine the Bozebuster. Anyway, build a couple for the cabinet experience, veneer them with whatever you like, try different finishes, etc, etc. You won't get ultimate sound, but you'll gain valuable cabinet building/finishing experience that will result in beautiful looking as well as beautiful sounding speakers down the road.

Comment

• davidfunke
        • Oct 2004

Thanks for your reply's Hank and cdwitner. I have actually already built the equivalent of your TB bozebusters. I veneered them in cherry and they look very nice. I have also rebuilt several other speakers, JVC bookshelf speakers, with good MDF cabinets with bracing. I actually have pretty good woodworking skills. Now I am looking to do something more extensive. I can increase my budget if necessary, but I am looking for a value oriented two way that can be used in my bedroom. Any Ideas?

David

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

How well would these CS full range work with Ribbon tweeters?

Could a person stack like 4 or five of these drivers and then a ribbon on top?
          Bing

Comment

• robertwb70
            • Oct 2003

$150 doesn't go far in speaker building

I'm like you just getting into my first real non-subwoofer/stand/rack project-I went with the parts express 6 1/2 woofer+1 1/8 silk dome drivers and am building the transmission line design they list in the project showcase-got all the drivers when they were on sale and just ordered the x-over parts

the x-overparts alone were $75 and I think the 4 drivers were around $50-this project was originally for my stepdaughters X-mas gift but I ended up buying premade speakers for the same price it was going to cost to build-and I really didn't have enough time anyway because I was already building a sub and refinishing stands and a rack to go with the deal
            =+=+=+=+=+=+=
            "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

• Dustin B
              • Nov 2003

I think the others are reading your post like you want to build 5 speakers for $150. I'm thinking you meant you wanted to start with a single pair for $150.

He has some other projects for you to browse as well. Some cheaper and some quite a bit more expensive. It's really to bad SCH went under, they had some great budget kits as Hank will attest to.
              Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Could a person stack like 4 or five of these drivers and then a ribbon on top?
                Probably have a comb filtering mightmare, given the driver spacing and the high XO point needed for ribbon

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Probably have a comb filtering mightmare, given the driver spacing and the high XO point needed for ribbon
                  Thomas, I was hoping the wide range of the CSS speaker would allow the correct cross over point for the ribbon. That being it goes high enough to overlap the ribbons low point.

Still no matter if the comb filter issues are to great.. I was just applyin gthe farmer design principles :twisted:
                  Bing

Comment

• Hank
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2002

Jon, what was the cost of the 2-ways you built for your daughter?

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Jon, what was the cost of the 2-ways you built for your daughter?
                      Here's the thread. And although a VERY good little speaker, it's not buildable for $75ea since the tweeters themselves cost +$50ea

Well, folks, one of our forum sponsers has added a very interesting new product series for those who like to build their own speakers, but don't like all the work, or the sometimes amateur looking cosmetics. Even I'm going to try a set of these, for the replacement project for my daughter... (actually, I have the cabnets for
                      Last edited by theSven; 03 September 2023, 12:55 Sunday. Reason: Update url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

The closest we could come to something like that would be, say, the RS180 Daytons (~$31 ea), plus an LPG 26T tweeter ($39 ea), and steal the parts for the crossover. I don't really know how to build a good DIY speaker for $150 in material costs. Emphasis on word, "good". The woofers for Elaine's speakers are $66.40, and they used to be more. The crossover was a sort of strange series configuration with a net roll off of about 18 dB/octave. It was cost oriented, just to save component count to fit in the box.

The little MCM carbon fiber 6-1/2's are ~$20. So, combine a pair of them with the LPG26T? Tha'ts still $120. Don't even talk to me about cheaper tweeters- my ears won't go there!

OK, Thomas has a some single Magnet MB Quart titanium 1" tweeters- he'd probably be willing to part with them. I have a couple here, so could meaure them (in my copius spare time). I have some of the MCM carbon fiber woofers. So we could sell the raw drivers for about $80. Crossover cost I'm not certain of- would have to model and cost out. I dont' know if I still have the Woodstyle 6" woofer cabinets around, that I could measure them in. I'd have to check in a couple of weeks when I'm home. (will be in Denver the next two weekends, after my travel this week).

I'd really be inclined to say, "hold out, save up some more, and build an MTM with the Vifa XT25 and dual RS180 Dayton's." Would be more satisfying in the long run, unless you just have a clear temporary need for something in this fixed price range.

~Jon

Now, if you want to make something with a bit

When you consider the work and cost of an enclosure, it doesn't seem wise to me.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cdwitmer
                          • Sep 2004

Someone determined to try a pair of two-ways for not more than $150 should check out Apex Jr. Maybe you can find something doable there.

Comment

• davidfunke
                            • Oct 2004

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't actually have a true need that I am trying to fill. I want to build something nice that I will use in my bedroom for two channel use along with a subwoofer and a pretty cheap receiver. I can definetely spend more, I was under the obviously mistaken impression that I could do something pretty nice for 150. Please give suggestions for a good two-way that is on the value side of the equation and approximate build costs?

Thanks guys.

David

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

You can certainly find something for the $150/pr. That budget however limits the options to basically the cheapest components around.

If you aren't in a big hurry, Jon's evaluating several of the new RS series woofers from PE. They are quite impressive and reasonably priced. I'm pretty sure a very nice modestly priced 2-way, can be created with a pair of these woofers, and an appropriate tweeter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• davidfunke
                                • Oct 2004

Thanks ThomasW. That sounds like a good plan. I'm not really in any hurry. I have read the threads on those woofers, and they do sound nice. I guess the new adire xbl woofer sounds very interesting also. I guess I will wait around to get some more ideas.

David

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"