X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

cost of building a new room?

Have a few questions about the cost of the project. How much would it cost me to convert our current garage to a bedroom of 14x27? The room will have a full size HT AV setup housing a screen of 133" diagonal. I would like a full sized bathroom and closet in there as well and the construction will require plumbing work to get the water line underneath for the future bathroom. Not looking to turn this room into a dedicated theater, but a leisure bedroom with a primary usage of HT. I am just looking for an estimated cost of this project and I already have all the AV equipment that will be going into the room, so the cost is just on the building materials and labor. I have been getting a wide range of cost estimates anywhere from $7k to $100+K. Any help would be great.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Realistically there's no way to answer this question given the variables involved.

Unless you're extremely lucky it's likely that the cost of tying into the main sewer drain alone would be $7K... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Realistically there's no way to answer this question given the variables involved.

Unless you're extremely lucky it's likely that the cost of tying into the main sewer drain alone would be $7K... 8O
      Yeah even a good quality bathrrom install will run you close to $7k if there's no major problems or logistical issues. As for the rest of the theater....depends on how you build it. Staggered studs? Double sheetrock? How much noise isolation? Light and Window automation....etc, etc, etc.....

Your best bet would be to talk to a few of the certified CEDIA installers in your area and get their opinions and know how even for a consultation/planning fee if you go DIY.
      Jason

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

thanks for the response and I understand that there is no way I can get an accurate response without more details.

To aud19: I'd like to use staggered studs and double sheetrock to help with noise isolation. I'd like light automation, but not window automation.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Nah - just run a line out in the yard :rofl:
          Danish

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

oh yea? Why don't I just go to the bathroom in the yard then?

Comment

• dynamowhum
              • Aug 2006

Blaze tough question. Bathrooms are the 2nd most expensive room to build. Also are you doing your own work? I realize labor would be much higher in your area than mine. The closest way to estimate would be to find out the cost of everything you want to install. Then get an estimate for labor. If you do get someone else to do it for you get everything in writing, including clean up. Hope this helps.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Another way to do it would be to contact some local contractors and find out what the rough cost per square foot is to build/remodel a house in your area and use that number with the footage you intend to renovate. That total will probably be a bit high, but it'll at least give you a maximum figure of merit.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Yes, big difference whether you DIY or contract. I've done ALL work in my dedicated private theater except the carpet, totalling up about $4,000. (14x22) Like you, that's just for the room and wiring, not equipment.

I don't have the first clue about costs for a bathroom, though.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• kurtholz
                    • Feb 2005

well, i build and do higher end remodels, located in the midwest, our prices are probably lower than most, my cost to sub out a room is in the $100 ft range, i am talking slab up, doing it right, with high ceilings, and all the good stuff

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

FYI, HT Mag. has a series starting with this month's issue on how to do a DIY theatre from start to finish... I haven't read it yet to comment but you might want to check it out
                      Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Our own Chris D has a multi-part series on building a theater room in Home Theater Builder magazine.
                        Last edited by Chris D; 02 February 2007, 23:59 Friday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Jason - hey, that's cool! I'll be initerested to read and see if it's anything similar to my "Start to Finish" type series.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"