Home Automation Help! INSTEON, Zwave suggesions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M3ki
    • Jul 2006

Home Automation Help! INSTEON, Zwave suggesions?

Hi guys!

I am looking for an inexpensive way to automate lighting in my apt, with a possibility to control shades later on.

My needs.
    Control lights
    Dimming
    Scenes & Settings ex Reading, movie etc.
    I would relly want to use a remote control.
    Maybe controlling shades later on.

I was looking into insteon (no remote control (() & homesettings system (Zwave).

Any suggestions please !!!!

PS

I also consulted LUTRON Graphic eye etc... but these systems are WAY out of my budget (University.....)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
  • Marzen
    • Jul 2005

I use X10 and Zwave. I prefer the later as I don't have problems with missed signaling due to appliances (tv, etc) absorbing the control signals along the ac power lines. Both run from my pc using HomeSeer, which allows me to access from work as well as my home pc; or use the handheld remote. The better equipment is over my budget & hardwired isn't an option for me either. You can add a relay later on for shade control. Try SmartHome.com for hardware/software.
    Ward
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• M3ki
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Marzen
      I use X10 and Zwave. I prefer the later as I don't have problems with missed signaling due to appliances (tv, etc) absorbing the control signals along the ac power lines. Both run from my pc using HomeSeer, which allows me to access from work as well as my home pc; or use the handheld remote. The better equipment is over my budget & hardwired isn't an option for me either. You can add a relay later on for shade control. Try SmartHome.com for hardware/software.
      Ward
      You use both?
      Do you suggest getting a HomeSettings kit from Smarthome? is there anything a bit better looking ie. switches, remote control? I did not see the shades control for zwave.

Thanks a lot!!!
      Last edited by M3ki; 11 July 2006, 12:39 Tuesday. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

There are 2 products that will work.

Lutron Radio Ra is a great retro fit lighting system.

If you want to get really slick..... Control 4.

Control 4 you are going to have to have a custom AV guy do it. I think you can get Lutron Radio Ra from other places. The Control 4 stuff is very well priced for what you get. It is half the cost of AMX or Crestron. They have wired and wireless stuff availible.

Check out their website....

We connect smart devices to work in unison, delivering a truly intelligent smart home experience that makes life more convenient, safe, and enjoyable.

I have Lutron Home Works in my house that I am building. (The wired version of Radio Ra)
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• stewfoo
          • Jul 2005

i just installed control4 in my house. There is a quality control issue. If the stuff works out of the box, it typically continues to work. But, a few of the touchscreens and dimmers have been doa.

It is a very cool easy to use system though
          Stew

Comment

• M3ki
            • Jul 2006

hmm... I was looking at the control 4, it seems that it does more than just controling lighting.

I needed something to mainly automate lights and curtains etc...
            I am renting an apartment so I really dont want to invest a lot of money into something like Lutron etc...

Really appreciate your comments!!! Thank you.

Comment

• Marzen
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by M3ki
              You use both?
              I started with X10 about 5 yrs ago, but I have to many intermittant problems so I'm now adding Zwave units.
              Do you suggest getting a HomeSettings kit from Smarthome?
              I would start small if that's what you mean - all the vendors are pretty close in prices for this stuff.
              is there anything a bit better looking ie. switches, remote control? I did not see the shades control for zwave.
              Not that I've ever found, I did paint some X10 rocker switches successfully with Krylon spray paint for plastic.
              -They may not have one available yet, besides I was thinking of a relay for a drapery motor. I have seen a stand alone unit with a motor & remote that will twist the blinds rod so they open/shut.

Ward
              What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"