X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Home Theater Master MX-700

This dual remote system is now shipping.

Anyone here have it or ordered it? If so, is there a bargain price anywhere? $499 retail.

I downloaded the software and manuals. I'm heavily leaning towards this remote. I've been waiting for it's release for quite some time now.

EDIT: After further searching it can be purchased through

http://www.bluedo.com for $389 + shipping (includes cable) and there was one other place that you can order it http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/ with or without the serial cable ($369 without and $389 with).

These are the lowest (and only) discounted prices I've found thus far. Seems reasonable to me.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

It looks very nice. I'd be interested in hearing your comments if you get it.

Exactly what can be done with the PC software? The LCD doesn't appear nearly as customizable as, say a Pronto. Does the software just take care assigning codes to specific buttons?

I may be ignorant (and probably am ) but I don't see how this is much of a step over the MX-500 or the old Marantz RC-2000 series of remotes. Can you educate me?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

I ordered it today.

It's a fine piece of equipment from what I can tell.

I was looking for a non touch screen display with hard buttons that would be fully programmable via software and upgradeable via downloads.

If you play around with the software which is downloaded from the site for free, you will see it is very customizable.

The software let's you assign codes and add files that are downloaded for other remotes. You can also change the display device names, move the device buttons and function buttons around in the main page or other pages for that device. It a fairly easy drag and drop windows interface.

It is always upgradeable via firmware downloads.

It comes with the Sidekick which is a smaller remote that is programmable as well for whatever you wish. It can do the more simple common task such as volume and channel changing with favorite buttons, for times that you are just surfing channels I suppose. My wife will love it for sure.

It handles 20 components. It can learn any type of remote control. If you are into macros, it handles over 900 macros with up to 190 steps each.

Yes, it looks nice too!

As soon as I get it in and test it, which will not be until after I get my Sony pre/pro repaired or replaced, I will definitely let you know what I think of it.

Here's the whole low down on it:

The MX-700 controls up to 20 components. Each of the 20 components can be programmed with up to 4 pages of LCD screens.

Easy To Program
      A custom installer can use the MX-700 system software to quickly design a remote control program to meet their exact needs in minutes. The programming package also offers the Programming Wizard to lead the first time programmer step by step through the customization process.

Windows Based PC Software
      The MX-700 allows you to tailor the text on each of the 87 LCD screens exactly as needed for every customer.

Extensive Macro Programming
      The powerful memory of both the SideKick and the MX-700 offers over 900 macro buttons. Each macro button can send out up to 190 steps. The macro programming also includes numerous time delays as well as jump features to insure maximum flexibility.

50 Favorite Channels
      The MX-700 allows the user to program up to 50 favorite channels and the LCD screen will display the favorite channels that are programmed. This allows the users to access their favorite channel with one simple button press.

Software Package With Over 1,000 IR Codes
      The MX-700 and its software package contains over 1,000 IR codes including hard to find and specific discreet codes that allow for precise control of all system components. The MX-700 also has the ability to learn over 1,500 new commands.

Ergonomic Design
      The strategically located buttons and ergonomic design of both the MX-700 and the SideKick make the operation of the most advanced system a pure pleasure.

EL Back Lighting
      The bright backlight using the latest EL technology enables a customer to use both remote control units in a low light environment.

Memory Back-Up
      The MX-700 system features a smart memory back-up system that will retain the programmed memory for up to ten years, even with dead batteries.

Centrally Located Joystick
      The centrally located Joystick helps the user navigate through menus and guides with ease, a very convenient feature for DVD players, Satellite and Cable TV and Personal Video Recorders.

Gemstoneā„¢ Buttons
      The GemStone buttons have a look and feel that instantly appeals to the customer. Unlike standard rubber buttons, these GemStone buttons add a very distinguished look to the remote controls that will compliment any high-end system.

Sidekickā„¢
      The SideKick remote control has the ability to copy macro commands from the MX-700 to provide simplified operation of the customer's system. Now every member of the family can enjoy their home theater system with ease. The SideKick could be used simply to turn on the TV or as an advanced system control sending out up to 190 macro commands from each button.

MX-700 Features/Specifications:
      LCD Screen Size: 1.4" x 2.1"

Range: MX-700/200 - 40-60 feet depending upon components

Batteries: MX-700 - 4 AAA alkaline (Duracells Included)
      MX-200 - 2 AAA alkaline (Duracells Included)

Dimensions: MX-700 - 9.0" x 3.0" x 1.3" (L x W x H)
      MX-200 - 5.8" x 1.7" x 1.3" (L x W x H)

Weight: MX-700 - 8oz (with batteries)
      MX-200 - 5oz (with batteries)

Warranty: 1 year parts & labor

Price: $499.99

I paid $369.95 + $10.87 shipping from surfremotecontrol.com

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

I look forward to you review. My wife hates my Pronto but I think it's the greatest thing we own. I'd like another option for her (but something fun for me to play around with too!).

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Okay, I'm not a reviewer, but I suppose I can tell ya what some of my experiences have been while setting up and programming my HTM MX-700. I'm still tinkering with it so I will end up making some more changes I'm sure..... that's what it's all about anyway. Plus, I'm new to this software programming of remotes thing, so, I'm sure I'll be learning a lot more about what can and can't be done.

After 3+ months of this remote sitting in a box in my closet I decided to pull it out and get going with it.

I am not familiar with the Pronto remotes or any of the other HTM (Home Theater Master) remotes other than the SL-9000, so I really can't compare it to other software programmable remotes.

It is comfortable. The case portion has a soft finish vs. the hard plastic on the SL-9000. The contoured shape seems to be appropriate, I would imagine anyone could get used to it quickly. The buttons are hard (vs. rubber for the 9000) but have a polished smooth finish (called gemstone). Overall the remote has a very good feel to it. I haven't found any awkwardness in operating it thus far.

The remote itself is a good looking remote. The colors are perfect. When it's lit it looks really cool. Naturally, looks is a matter of opinion.

The only way to make the MX-700 work is to program it via a PC. For this you have to have a cable (stereo phono plug to 9 pin serial) and an available serial port on your PC. You can use the software to prepare your files and arrange your remote and later download it to the remote, but it's better if you have it connected and pointing at the devices it will control. This way you can easier test the codes as you are programming to make sure they are working. A laptop would have made things easier for me. When I sit at my PC it is not in sight of my HT equipment, therefore I have to get up, walk into the HT area and make sure the function that was programmed works.

Learning codes from one remote to another is not the same as a traditional learning remote (or at least the ones I've owned in the past). You do aim the two remotes head to head but the MX-700 must be connected to the PC in order to learn. The software is used to do the learning, which is good because the software keeps the learned codes saved. Thus the codes are learned on the remote and in the software program at the same time.

The software program used to program the MX-700 is named "MX Editor". I've had the software downloaded and installed for several months (available from HTM's site: http://www.hometheatermaster.com/htm...cts/index.html. I had tinkered with it a little bit but didn't have a full understanding of how it all worked. At first I was a little intimidated but I found that reading the programming manual was a big help. The manual is also downloadable from HTM's website. This programming manual is a full 60+ pages. It will take you step by step through programming (basic and advanced).

MX Editor has a feature called "Live Update", similar to Nortons Antivirus Live Update. The first thing I did prior to programming my MX-700 was run Live Update. This got me the latest upgrades to software, firmware, and IR database codes.

Once I read through the programming manual and got everything set up I was ready to start programming.

First I set up my Main screen device buttons as follows:

You can arrange and name these however you wish and have up to two pages for the MAIN screen.

Then under each device I input what IR database codes I could find. I didn't find everyone I needed so I had to learn a couple of them. The database included codes for my TV, VCR, LD, DVD, and amazingly my CAL Icon MkII CD player. However, it did not include my Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro and Dish Echostar 5000 satellite receiver. While there are database files available from http://www.remotecentral.com for my Sony pre/pro, they were not layed out as I desired. Thus I learned what I needed for both these pieces of equipment.

I was very pleased to learn about discrete codes, or should I say a little about them anyway. I always had a problem with my SL-9000 when programming macros. I did not have discrete codes for my Sony RPTV inputs. The TV inputs were toggle or TOAD as some call it. Therefore programming a macro to turn on everything and switch to the right TV input was not possible. Plus I didn't have enough buttons to program everything I needed to program. Now I have discrete codes for the TV inputs and plenty of pages of creatable buttons and can program the macros accordingly to do everything needed at the push of one button.

My wife, Angibug, doesn't do HT much but rather uses just the SAT and TV for the most part. So setting up this remote for us is a little different than probably for most. I had to program it so that the basic function is to operate the SAT first, without the HT.

While on the MAIN screen or SAT screen the POWER ON button turns the TV and SAT on only. Either screen allows operation of the hard buttons for the SAT.

The SAT screen looks like this:

Most of our TV viewing is SAT so we will be on this screen most of the time. I will turn on the HT quite often and watch SAT. When we are watching SAT we need the controls for the SAT on the hard buttons to change channels, review the guide, check info, etc. The HT is pretty much set the way it needs to be if it is on, but I needed to be able to control the HT volume and a few other things on HT according to what we were watching. I added those functions to the first page of the SAT screen.

Angibug likes to listen to the SAT music channels occasionally. She can turn on the SAT/TV and without changing screens she can turn on the HT and set the DSP mode she desires along with adjusting the HT volume. She needs it as simple as possible so this fits her well.

Watching a DVD is equally as easy for both of us. If we are watching SAT, from the MAIN or AUDIO screen, pressing the DVD button will turn on the HT system and DVD player, switch the Sony pre/pro to the Auto Format Decoding mode, switch the TV to the DVD input, and turn the screen page to DVD. When finished, pressing the OFF button will change everything back (as we were) to watching the SAT, with the exception that I decided to leave the HT system on. If the HT system is no longer needed (as in if Angibug is the only one watching it) she can simply turn the HT system off from that SAT screen.

This is the same for VCR, LD, and CD.

Here is an example of the macro screen:

Here is an example of the IR database screen and the after installing the code for my Sony TV the page screen pops up. This allows changing, moving (via drag and drop), renaming, etc., of the different button labels. If a programmed button is moved it moves the code as well.

I changed my pages for TV quite a bit, it actually looks nothing like this one. I renamed buttons and moved them around for our needs.

If more buttons are needed, more devices buttons could be created (up to 20 total). For instance, on AUDIO (for my Sony), if I input every possible function I would need more than four pages (or 40 buttons) other than the hard buttons. I could simply create another AUDIO device, probably on page 2 of the MAIN screen, and have 4 more pages or 40 more buttons to use. This might come in handy for macros if nothing else. If I didn't want some of those page viewable I could also hide them from view, except via the software program.

Punch throughs and shortcuts and be programmed as well.

I was able to add a device button for my Velodyne HGS-15 sub. It has remote controlled ON & OFF and volume. Angibug sometimes feels the bass is too heavy, especially late night during the week while Chelsea sleeps. This allows cutting the volume of the sub down without effecting the Sony pre/pro sub output settings.

I also added a device button for our OTA antenna rotor. For the most part we keep it pointed in one direction for our local stations but occasionally we turn it for a couple of stations in the other direction. It's as simple as pressing ANT on the MAIN screen and punching in the channel number. The antenna rotates to the proper direction.

I still have a good bit to learn about what this remote and it's software can do. Especially the discrete code part. I would like to have more discrete ON & OFF codes for some of the devices. And I haven't found the discrete codes for the new DSP modes in the Sony pre/pro that came with the latest firmware upgrade.

All in all, between interuptions, it probably took me 3-4 hours to setup the remote. I figure that's not too bad being new to software programmable remotes.

So far, all has worked well. As stated above, I'm sure I'll do a lot more tinkering with it before I get it just right.

Unfortunately I can't recommend it over any other remotes (except the SL-9000) because I haven't used any of the others. I like it and believe it will suit our needs.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"