X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

NFL Fever is Great! Madden Xbox GOTY?

I have been trying to decide on a Football game and was having difficulties choosing between, NFL Fever and Madden 2002.

Basic background:

I have only played Football in school yard pick games of scrimmage, and thus have never played organized ball.

I use to watch football as a young boy, only because my friends watched it and it was the CFL. I do enjoy watching a good game of NFL ball.

I don't know when and how to use all those plays, when should I use a nickel or dime defence...etc.

I do understand the basic concepts and rules enough and do enjoy the game.

I have not played an electronic Football game since Bally's. So I may be ingnorant to what is considered standard play controls.

I do like the Raider's because of their legacy of being a band of misfits.

I'm a Rough Riders Fan, though we have not had a lot to cheer about in the last decade.

OK, first up I rented NFL Fever. I was stunned by the graphics of this game for its realism, the animation of it players with their fluid motion, and all the other elements, like the uniform / helmet and stadium detail.

I proceeded to basic practice to learn how play control worked and how to throw a football. This did not take me long at all for I was up to speed in about 10 minutes of play on how most things worked.

I started to play a game, and found that the play control was simple and easy to learn. This is very important for most of my guests are not as avid a game player as I am. I actually won my first game, so now I understand what every one is complaining about the CPU AI. When I switched to the harder modes it when I found I was having tighter games and would lose quite often.

I had friends over and we all had fun playing Fever. They were also floored by the graphics and commented on how much they appreciated the play control.

Sure Fever has some issues and is not perfect…

So then I rented Madden:

How does this game win Game Spy's Game of the Year for Xbox? Read Here

No disrespect to Madden fans but this game is a port, and you can tell. I don't think a game available on all other platforms should be GOTY for Xbox, esp. if it only a marginal improvement of the other platforms.

Anyway, so I start play and the first thing I notice is the graphics simply are not in the same league as Fever, as it has a very sterile look. Not a big deal, I'm sure play control more than makes up for this. Well navigating the menus is not as intuitive as Fever, as it took me a while to figure out how to get to the offensive practice. When I did get to where I wanted, It was nice hearing John Madden coach me through the practices, actually comforting.

It took me awhile before I could determine how to pass with Madden. I personally have to say I don't like having to press "A" to hike the ball and then having to press "A" again to bring up the receiver Icons, and then press the intended receiver button. Most time I found I was getting sacked for taking so long, throwing interceptions, or pressing the wrong button "Y" where there is no receiver for that button, and then you’re screwed. A lot of times I forgot to press the "A" button a second time for the pass icons, and this really burned me.

OK, so I'm not ready to play a game and decide to go back to practice. Well the more I was practicing, the more I was missing Fever, not only on the control side, but on the graphics side as well. Madden's players and graphics just look too weird and unrealistic to me, their movements are very computer generated looking and jerky a lot of the times. There was also strange inconsistent things’ happening with the players during play. Like they would stutter on a hit and keep stuttering for a second or 2 after the play.

One aspect of Madden I did like was the running game, I really like how it is executed as it felt very satisfying. As well the palyers names do not obsure the run play as in Fever. Many times during a run with Fever, I could not see that I was going to be hit untill it was too late. The players name tag blocked out tackler. Passes also felt very good when I could pull them off, and I can see how hardcore football gamers can like Madden. It really seems to have a deeper sense of the game if you have the patience and time to learn how to use the tools effectively. Then that my biggest gripe with madden, it tries to be to much of a sim at the expense of pure and simple fun.

Personally, I did not really enjoying Madden at all, even though I was trying hard to learn this game, and really wanted to like it based on the fact that it's EA and Madden. I certainly don't think my guests will enjoy the learning curve it takes to get up to speed either. I can see it as no problem if I had a bunch of HC playing Madden friends, but I don't.

Graphically and animation wise Madden really disappointed me. Sure it does have some items I like more than Fever, like the one handed catch, but over all it was a let down.

I had Madden for a week, however most times I found I was really missing Fever as I played Madden.

I can see and understand Madden's appeal to HC players; however from what I want from a console game of Football, it's just not what I'm looking for at this point of the game. I want something that is simple and fun to play, with out having to really dive into lots of practice time to be effective. I want something my guest can come over and enjoy, not something that has them saying,” Lets do that again another year...."

I ended up buying Fever, for it's play control, graphics and because it was coded for the Xbox from the ground up, and is only on the Xbox.

I can see myself wanting another FB game like Madden, or NFL 2k2 at a later date.

What I can't see is how Madden was chosen for GOTY by Game Spy for the Xbox platform; I just don't see it as that good of a game in my mind.

My apologies and respect to all Madden fans.

Bing
    Bing
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Great review Bing. After reading this, I decided that I bought the wrong football game, and Fever was the way to go. Fortunate for me, I hadn't opened Madden as yet, so it was an easy swap.

I don't see myself as a hcfg, so casual fun with it sounds much better to me. My last experience with football was frustrating at best. Not sure if it was an older Madden, but it was PS1. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, and just in time too.

Still haven't opened Fever as yet, but I will.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks Lex.

If you haven't opend NHL Hitz yet, I would recommend you trade it in for EA'S NHL2002 as well. While NHL 2002 is not perfect, it is a truer repesentation of the game, that is still boku fun!

I rented Hitz and do not like it at all. I feel it makes a mockery of the game as the rink is too small, the players burning up and the play animation is just too cheezzee (Au fromage) for my taste. 3 on 3 does not feel like hockey to me, shinny maybe, but not hockey.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Nice reveiw Bing!,

I had already purchased NFL Fever and get a kick out of playing around in the practise mode.
        Just about ready for real game action.

FYI,,NFL Madden is the only X-Box game that supports 1080i resolution..Bet that would be beautiful.

As for the Hockey,,I love NHL Hitz and mainly for its three on three and shorter rink..For a quick fun game of hockey it is the way to go.
        Graphics and detail are awesome. It's a fun arcade version of hockey that still feels much like a hockey game. This title is well done. I also have NHL 2002 but have not openend it yet.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, you Canucks take your hockey a lot more seriously than I do. I would be interested in Trev's comparison of the two. Go ahead Trev, open it up and give me your thoughts.

Remember, I would be a casual player, I am not a die hard hockey fan or rule junkie at all. I barely know the game.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Lex, Hitz is probally a fun game, however I feel it really does not convey the strategy of a real hockey game, as such it isn't fun for me. That's not to say it isn't a good game. However if I was to only have one hockey game it would be NHL2002.

I have NHL 2002, and we rented Hitz for a week. As well I have a Hitz Demo game that lets you play a full hitz game.

Katherine doesn't like Hitz either and always play 2002 with her friends. "It more real and there is more passing" she states. I would have to agree.

Bing
            Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I opening my copy of NHL 2002 last night to take a peak.

Very Nice!!..I love it!

Trevor
              My HomeTheater S.E.
              Sonically Enhanced
              C5
              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Have you guys tried Sega's NFL 2K2? I played it today at work and had a lot of fun (and I'm not a football fan). I thought the extra little touches (sideline animations, stadium specific fan signs, etc.) were very well done. The animation and camera angles make this game "feel" much more real than the other two major offerings.

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Good to hear you like NHL 2002 Trev, I can't believe how often Katherine can beat me in that game, fair and square :E Hitz can be a fun game, no doubt about it. We have played against each other on it, however it's not our cup of tea.

Even though Madden may be played at a higher resolution, it lacks the lighting and shading effects that really makes the animation seem convincing. If EA had coded it to take advantage of the programmable pixel and vertex shaders of the XGPU, it certainly would have been pretty, however they didn't and it shows. That is why I think it looks too sterile. Resolution is not the only factor to good looking graphics. I think light and shading is a bigger part of the equation. Thats how DoA3 and Fever at 640x480 can look so good. It's a lot lower res, however the programers have taken advantage of the XGPU to show of what light and shadows can do. I would put Fever and DoA3 up against most anything I have seen on my GF3 PC at 1600x1200 32 bit color, they look that good.

Sili, I rented NFL 2K2 for a week. I really liked the feel of the game play, and playing defence on it was a real treat. The defensive backs are not as dumb as they are in Fever. It was very satisfiying and the pace was very realistic.

The commentary of it is the best in the business as apperently it analyses the actual game history to present it's color commentary.

I really couldn't get a good handle on the QB logic that is a main feature of the game. How does a person use those yellow(2) and red(1) rings, to control the pass...? Beats me, it wasn't in the manual. I was still able to complete a high percentage of my passes.

However I found the graphics to be dissapointing coming from Fever. The lighting effects of NFL2k2 just seemed very rudimentry. The helmets had no shine or reflections, and although the faces are more induvidual, the light and shadows did not change as they moved. At a distance the faces seemed a lot blurrier than Fever as well. The stadiums and grass did not have the nice textures as in Fever, but as you say the fans with the signs and their motions was a nice addition. I notice a lot of graphical clipping in that the face masks would dissapear into the shoulder or chest of the player as he moved. The Menu for play selection was one area that is not one of my favorites, and the replay camera controls were very basic as well. Overall the animation did not seem to move as fluidly, as it seemed as if you were watching a movie with missing frames.

I know graphics isn't everything, and play control is more important, however I personally want a good balance of both. I was dissapointed in NFL 2K2's graphics more than Madden. I was considering the purchase of NFL 2K2 even though I owned Fever, but I don't think I will now. I struggled with this as I do like the play control of 2K2. What can I say? I'm a graphics HO :O

After renting all 3 games, I realize they're all very good FB games and a person couldn't go wrong with picking any one. However they are not perfect, and they all have there own sets of compromises. I think Fever has the best set of compromises for my liking, and I think the future franchises of this offering are truely going to be stellar. I'm certainly looking forward to Fever 2003. Graphically nothing is in the same leauge of Fever, however they do have to fix the AI of the DB's and they do have to tone down the size of some of the players. Heheh, I laugh when Kurt Warner is the size of a line man :P

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"