X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

set you calendars for 2005...some Longhorn news

I like the possiblities. At least the progression is towards multimedia...just think what kind of processing power will be available to desktops in 2 years....mind-blowing 8O

64-bit all the way!!!!!! I think. I wonder why they didn't bundle some form of sql-server into the O/S before....makes perfect sense to me....could be smoking fast if you have the appropriate hardware. I think the requirements will get steeper and steeper but hopefully prices stay low. 2 years is too far ahead to speculate in the pc world.

I think technology has lagged a little, IMO.

Serial ATA is just out, ho-hum, performance is so-so but at least it's out, 11g wireless is out but from all accounts not ready for primetime (the spec isn't finished yet so stay away from 11g until next year)...from what I've been reading the rates halve at 35 ft and at 50ft you're no better than 11b...for the linksys and d-link units. Bluetooth is promising but expensive...hopefully it will gain acceptance (you do want a smart fridge eventually ...don't you??? :roll: ) GeforceFx sounds like a vaccum cleaner and has garnished mixed pre-reviews. ATI has gained ground. Bus speeds are advancing but the bleeding edge is pricey. Intel has the right idea with their neat little trick called Hyper-Threading. AMD has the Hammers (claw and slegde luv those names) on the way hopefully that will get some balls rolling.

Anyways I digress here's some news from information week to wet your whistle:

Prototype "Longhorn" Software Shows Possible Future Of Windows

By Aaron Ricadela, InformationWeek

Microsoft researchers have built prototype software for better Windows management and for sorting digital photos that could influence features in the next desktop version of Windows.

One system lets users drag windows on their PC desktop into a "focal zone" to enlarge tasks they're working on. Peripheral tasks sit near the edges of the screen, where their icons are grouped by project. The software is designed to take advantage of a new graphics system code-named Avalon that Microsoft is developing for its release of Windows in 2005, code-named Longhorn. It could be the future of task-switching in Windows, says Mary Czerwinski, a senior researcher at the company.

Another project, called MediaFrame, lets users organize digital images according to their content using face-recognition technology and algorithms that can distinguish types of scenery in a photo. The group is working closely with Microsoft developers building Longhorn, says Dan Ling, a VP in Microsoft Research.

Longhorn will use Microsoft relational-database technology in its file system, which could enable more flexible searches of documents, E-mail messages, and photos using standard criteria. The operating system also could include the Avalon graphics system, which uses speedy vector graphics to render images, according to people familiar with Microsoft's plans.

But Microsoft hasn't published detailed technical information about Longhorn and its possible features, including Avalon and the Palladium system for encrypting applications, says Mike Cherry, an analyst at technology research firm Directions on Microsoft. "Developers don't know a whole lot about what Longhorn's going to look like," he says. More information could come at a Microsoft software development conference this fall.

Longhorn could tag documents or digital photos with XML metadata that lets users quickly reorganize files in different groups by their content. The operating system will incorporate database technology slated for inclusion in the next version of Microsoft SQL Server, code-named Yukon.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Here are some pics of Longhorn in action: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4008.asp

It doesn't look that much different than current versions of XP but it doesn't have it's final "skin" on either.

I'm excited to see what the next two years brings as well. However, I'm a little concerned about a part of what may be included in Longhorn: Microsoft's Palladium.

Palladium is the element that will make current fears of big brother look like childs play. It's when we might start paying for software per use (a la Divx DVDs) and it'll no doubt be the end of MP3s and such.

11g wireless is out but from all accounts not ready for primetime (the spec isn't finished yet so stay away from 11g until next year)...
    Apple has been using 802.11g for a couple months now. They call it "Airport Extreme" and I've read quite a few reviews about it's improved speed. It's my understanding that the 'g' spec has been complete for many months...they group charged with certifying it is just slow. Apple got tired of waiting and released early.

GeforceFx sounds like a vaccum cleaner and has garnished mixed pre-reviews.
    I read somewhere that Gainward is coming out with a water cooled GeForceFX. How cool is that?!?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

See Palladium is when the linux users of the world will start pulling out the bullhorns and educate the masses on the evils of Windows (oh, wait...they've been doing that for years :P ). I think the work done with Lindows and the like is very promising. I've been holding off from linux...not because of me but because of my wife and kids. With Lindows and GUI fronts...linux comes closer and closer to an actual possiblity for me. Pay per use mp3 would only be that way if they are encoded that way.

Joe home user isn't going to encode that feature unless it's a default element of the encoder....or maybe I don't fully understand how palladium works.

What's next? you plunk down 10 bucks for a CD that becomes worthless after 50 uses, then you have to pull out the credit card?

I would hope the public would eventually speak up and say no way! You hope that as Micro$ pushes the edge of acceptable, eventually the consumer will push back. Maybe that will be the feature that pushes people over to Apple and Linux (a'la the straw that broke the camel etc...) and finally those OS'es will get the recognition they deserve.

Okay...I'll step down from my soapbox now

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Couldn't agree more with your assesment of MS shooting themselves in the foot with all the silly sh*t they keep doing. See what happens when there is no healthy competition for a while.

Serial ATA is just out, ho-hum, performance is so-so but at least it's out
        Could you elaborate on this. I've been waiting on these drives to build a PC for my brother, thinking anything would help.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Here are some articles to read:

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

I guess I'm being a little cynical. It great that SATA is out and it's about time. for parallel ATA 133 MB/s is about it. 150 MB/s doesn't give you a killer performance boost, but you pay top dollar because it's new. USB2 is smoking those drives in terms of data transfer. Heck even apple is loading laptops with firewire 800!!!

So we look forward to SATAII and gain double the performance and way down the road SATA III gets us 600 MB/s. I want 600 MB/s today darn it....

If I'm paying top dollar for something I want it to be king of the hill and I'm disappointed that in some respects the current drives won't trounce their parallel cousins.

To quote the slogan of our Canadian electronics retailer, FutureShop (sort of your Circuit City or Best Buy....actually it's now owned by BestBuy :cry: ):

"I WANT MORE!"

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

Thanks Gordon!

I guess for my brothers case, there's no need to wait. I was hoping for more...as you said.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"