X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Matrox G1000

Matrox has been tight lipped about their newest upcoming card named the G1000. From all accounts it sounds pretty awesome if it does all it suppose to. I remember when the G400Max was kicking Nvidia around the block. I wonder if it history can repeat it's self. About the biggest gripe I had was the Open GL drivers from Matrox, seems nobody does drivers like Nvidia.

Bing
    Bing
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The codename and possibley the real chip/card name is Parhelia , though the G1000 naming would follow the existing model naming convetion.

The official annoucement is on May 14th. Check back for more details.

The posted specs are rumored, unless someone's totally released the cat out of the bag. Matrox is pretty good with keeping this a secret.

I think the quad support, won't happen, but a triple monitor support will. Just logistically, I can't see how they can fit 4 ports on at the back of the card, I think they can squeeze 3 on, it would be a tight fit. If they used a secondary card of something, like take up an extra back slot. Then that would be cool.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

How about a single port and a cable splitter? Like that used by the M-audio cards.

I just don't see anyone really challenging nVidia. If ATI can't even pose a real threat I certainly don't think Matrox can. I'm sure the G1000 will be a very sweet card but more than likely it'll have a very minimal impact on the consumer market.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Photos of the Parhelia in action... Somewhere in China where NDA's mean nothing?

Notice the 3 monitors :yeah:

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Parhelia Pic

Heat sink may not be stock issue...

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

OK...screw what I said...any vid card with a heat sink that big needs a home in my PC.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Haha, funny Sili..... Neeeeeeeeed!

It's official, Parhelia 512. Up to 256Mb DDR Ram, 3 displays..... This card is fully loaded. No benches out yet, but I don't care if it's not as fast as a GF4, feature wise I must own this :yeah:

Full Read Here

Quad DirectX® 9 Vertex Shader Array
              Ultra-realistic lighting and animation at the highest performance

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

It's really, REALLY good to see nVidia and ATI have some serious competition again from Matrox, finally. My first HTPC, for the Sony 400Q, was built with a Matrox G400, because it was the only card with fully programmable driver support for custom resolutions (like do your own 856X480 or 960X540, with video porches to enable scan rates mimicing 1080i HDTV). With 10BIT per channel color technology throughout the RGB pipeline, they're claiming the best desktop and DVD video reproduction quality- I'm hoping they'll be able to deliver it.

I'll be very interested to investigate this card. I'm crossing my fingers....

-Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

I'm with you Jon, it's good to see Matrox back in the saddle of mainstrem graphics cards again. I have always like Matrox above the rest. Their professional line of graphics cards for industry have always been of highest quality that seems so much more superiour to the consumer market cards.

I hope it is everything it claims to be. If it is just a marketing hype aimed at grabing sales from the other makers, it has succeded for the short term, for this cowboy.

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Jon
                    • Mar 2002

I don't see how it could not succeed, its already got double the memory bandwidth of the GeForce4, and memory bandwidth is where its at if you actually want to be able to use all these fancy features at an acceptable framerate.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"