X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grant
    • Oct 2001

Overriding Built-In Burning on XP

I recently converted to XP and had been using Nero to burn CD's. I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with how to allow Nero to be the default burning software?
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Hello Grant, welcome to the Forum

Why and when would you want to turn Nero into the default software? I'm sorry but seem to be missing something here.... If you are wanting Nero to step in and do burning duties when you drag and drop files to burn in file explorer (Windows XP Burner), Nero will not work well at that as it's designed to use it's own interface. If you just want Nero to step in during a XP burn session that's a different matter. The XP software itself is not a packet burning software and all it really does is cache or store the files you want burned elswhere on your HD until you are ready to burn. When you do want to burn a disk, you must then specificly tell it to burn. XP then will execute the cache of files you have selected to be burned. The files are then wrtten out as one single track.

From what I have read, the XP burning software carries a high over head in how it manages files to be backed up. After you have burned a track of files, when you go to re-insert the disk for another burn session, it will be opened in an Explorer window, which will show the existing files, under a heading “Files Currently on the CD,” and may also have a section at the top entitled “Files Ready to be Written to the CD.” This will show any files you have setup for writing since the last session was written, and is a place you can add more files to by dragging and dropping. If you thus add a file whose name matches one already on the CD, only the new one will be seen subsequently. This appears to be a means of replacing a file; though the space occupied by the original is not released, so the disk fills up.

Nero on the other hand will examine the files on the CD disk versus the files in the HD directory that you want burned. It will then burn only the new files that have been added to the directory since the last burn. This is much more effcient than the XP's and is treated more as a back-up. How ever to use it properly it must be run in Nero's own control panel.

Knowing that I would not use XP's drag and drop function as it is not a true packet burn such as Adaptec's Direct CD.

As well I would tend to keep XP and Nero separate from each other, as I generally just use Nero, Clone CD or CDRwin for burning.

I hope that helps somewhat, but if I missed the mark, please let me know and I'll see what else I can find.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Grant
      • Oct 2001

Thanks for the reply Bing. I guess what I should have said is that I was previously using Nero to burn CDR's on a Windows 98SE system. Now that I have Windows XP on my system, I don't seem to be able to burn CDR's using Nero anymore. When I try to burn a CDR with Nero it seems to lock up my system. I was wondering if there is some way to enable Nero to work correctly? I have seen references to editing the XP registery to disable the built-in burning, but I am hoping there is a more straight forward way of doing this? Anyone?

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

You may need to update your version of Nero. I'm running XP and Nero 5.5, I have not had any problems so far.

Go Here To Look

Insure your CD-R's firmware is updated to the lastest version as well. Go to the manufactuer's site and see if there are any updates for the drive.

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

When I try to burn a CDR with Nero it seems to lock up my system.
          When I use the small versino of Nero with W2K, mine seems to lock up, and ruin the burn. But if I go to the other version of Nero (excuse my terminology,I cannot reference the system now, as it's tore down), burning works fine. Basically, the compact Nero window is useless to me.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

Heck where have I been? I didn't even know XP has a built in burner. I've always used EZCD.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Sonnie, I have tried it out and from my experiances, MS should have just left this out. Most people that buy a CDR-w usually get some basic burning software anyway that even if it's outdated, would still be better than XP's burner SW.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"