• Show
Clear All
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pentium 4 Notebooks

Hi!,

Looking around the net all I can come across is
    Notebook computers that offer up to PIII 1.2 GZ processing.

I have yet to see a P4 offering.
    Any idea if something is in the works and a date when they would be available?.

Thanks,

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hi Trevor,

They are on Intel's Roadmaps, but not until the 0.13 micron process is in full swing- as opposed to "debug", which is it's current status.

The P4 is hardly an ideal notebook processor at present. For a given level of performance, it requires a higher clock rate and considerably more memory bandwidth than the PIII or Athlon. DDR Ram and RDRAM both suck down more power than SDRAM. Power is the enemy of notebooks.

Do you ever wonder why Intel is selling the 0.13 micron Tualitin PIII's into the "Blade" style single rack servers, running at 1.3 GHz, with 512KB of L2 cache, but isn't selling those into Desktops? Can you spell "marketing disaster", if people realize that a 1.3 GHz PIII out performs a 1.5 to 1.7 GHz P4? It's bad enough they're fighting that battle with AMD, re the Athlon XP, but to be shown up by their own last generation processor would raise too many questions in even the unwashed public's mind.

And with the memory bandwidth hog that P4 is, is it no wonder that they've been dragging their feet about bringing out the Brookdale chipset with SDRAM support? Athlon's and PIII's take a little bit of a hit in performance going from DDR or RDRAM to PC133 SDRAM; the P4 takes a much bigger hit, due to it's prefetch architecture.

Intel, at the introduction of the P4, published some benchmarks showing how the P4 was such a whiz in the memory bandwidth performance; how running a specific scientific benchmark, a 1.4 GHz P4 was sucking down almost twice the memory bandwidth as a 1 GHz PIII. What they didn't show was that it was actually only about 5% faster in performing the benchmark, while using about twice the memory bandwidth. With the majority of current memory technologies, this is not the hallmark of outstanding processor design. Intel optimized it around RDRAM, because of their licensing arrangments with RAMBUS. That doesn't make it a very practical notebook CPU in it's current form. (BTW, the P4 is about twice the chip size as a PIII or Athlon, too, so Intel is taking it in the shorts regarding manufacturing costs).

I wouldn't be looking for this chip in a high performance laptop- at least not if you'd like that machine to be able to play a whole DVD just on battery power.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Trevor Schell
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jon,
      Great explanation and that does make so much sense.
      Never thought about the power that you would need to keep the P4 alive.
      I had been looking for a new Notebook computer but did not want to invest with possibility of a new processor in a short while.
      One probably would not need much more that a 1 GZ with a decent graphics chip combined.
      Sounds like the P4 would be a step back.

Thanks for the help!.

Trevor
      My HomeTheater S.E.
      Sonically Enhanced
      C5
      Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Nicely presented as always Jon!

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I'm blushing guys, cut that out!

Seriously, Intel is proceeding on this front, regardless; now their roadmap shows the 845MP mobile chip set supporting DDR only (200MHz)(RAMBUST, I guess!) still scheduled for some time in the first quarter! Now, to me, looking at what balance of performance you need in a laptop, this seems silly, compared with the performance you can get with an optimized PIII core at 0.13 micron. Notebooks and desktops have different missions and different requirements; the performance advantage of SSE2, compared with the weaknesses in conventional integer and FP, plus the power and memory bandwidth issues, make it less desirable in my mind.

But history will settle the issue one way or another!

So, will Itanium laptops be next?

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"