X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

May have solved my htpc problems!

About five days ago I recieved my new 350 watt Enermax power supply, and of coarse immediately installed it. It replaced some generic 250 watter.
    Since then I have watched 3 movies without one stutter, dropped frame, or lockup!!! For my htpc this is a new record! I ALWAYS get some sort of glitch in every movie I watch, and usually get a lockup in 2 out of 3 movies.
    This weekend will be the acid test, if I get through saturday night without one, my htpc will be glitch free!!!!!!!!...knock on wood

Almost forgot, the Enermax is not as quite as I'd hoped, it can be heard at a distance of about 6 feet, it is much quiter than the previous unit.
    Now if I could just figure out how to keep the DVD drive from spinning up, there are times when it'll spin up to some multiple of normal and stay that way.
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

Congrats Kenny, hope you got it all resolved

This sounds reasonable. If your power supply is having a hard time keeping up under the reasonably tough loads, that could do it!

Lex

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Kenny,

I'm getting deja vu all over again! ;-)

The Science of Audio and Video clearly benefits from power....

Clean Power Rulz!

-Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

This post needs to be moved to the Tower of Power section, when I started it I didn't realize we still had that area, things are changing weekly!
        Anyway it's official, the power supply is my fix...I've run about 10 movies through it, plus Total Movie's latest (and last) DVD, not one hiccup of any kind, not even a noticable layer change!!
        POWER TO THE...pc

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Kenny, I too have just ordered the 330/350 Enermax PS. I was hoping it would be quiet given it has 2 fans and is dubbed the "Whisper" Just doesn't live up to it's name huh? I guess it doesn't much matter when your CPU fan howels like a banshee (Global win FOP38)

Good to hear it has solved your problems though!

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Bing, it is quite a bit quieter than a generic power supply, but when they say "whisper" quiet...their stretching the true a bit...
            Do you get any glitches at all in your DVD playback, I'm even talking about layer changes.
            If so, I'll be interested to hear what you think about your new power supply, I don't even see layer changes anymore!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"