X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

Looking for a Networked Media Player ?

Any suggestions for a set top box to stream my media from my NAS & PCs to and HD tv? Other then my existing MP3 & AAC song files, and my JPG images, I am not restricted on the Movie format.

I found this that seams popular and inexpensive. The remote sucks but otherwise looks solid:
    WD TV Live HD http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

Any opinions out there?
    Peter
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well...the popcorn hours are fantastic and will play damn near any format. The WD units are decent but won't play some stuff.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Htpc?
      Jason

Comment

• peter_m
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by aud19
        Htpc?
        HTPC = Loud or expensive... WD device is $140 in canada

I was considering a laptop, but again something that has HDMI will be resent and not inexpensive...

Peter

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

WELLLLL you can actually build a fanless HTPC for ~300 now that will playback 1080p videos Possibly less then 300 depending. But the popcorn hour really is a great unit for the ~200.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
            • Sep 2009

I hear the WD TV is less than fantastic when it comes to the user experience of playing music (user interface wise).

You could use Windows Media Center on the PC and then use an XBOX or some other Windows Media Extender to control from the HDTV.
            -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

AppleTV is really worth a look, especially after the recent price drop. If your NAS supports UPnP (iTunes) then you're smiling, otherwise there are other programs you can use to share your music, not least iTunes. The hard drive in the ATV is used for buffering content (between syncs) so its (relative small) size is not too important, especially as you have a NAS. The ATV is a great device for playing music, it has HDMI and ToSlink outputs.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• crytklmass
                • Dec 2008

I purchased and returned the WD TV,very slow, limited options. Not worth it IMO. I just plugged my external WD passport into my Blu Ray player using a USB cable and my TV to select songs, movies, etc. So far its been working great. Since my Blu Ray is connected to my stereo I get full surround sound, etc. I also use AVS (free download) to convert files that are not recognized.
                BOB

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"