X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

X-Box 360 in for repairs

I turned it on and all I got was sound, no picture. I went through all the trouble shooting...still nothing.

So today, it went in for repair. I've had it for about 15 months. And Microsoft is still going cover it under warranty. Not bad!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Yeah they extended all old warranties along with the new units. I think it's what 3 years now?

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I thought they only extended the warranty for those with the "three rings of death" 3 red lights?
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

...from what I heard they extended warranties on all xbox 360's.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well, that's even better then! I'm glad they are doing the right thing for their customers. Now we will see how the actual repair goes.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah my friend hard drive just failed this last week and he had to send it to a repair shop.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Funny, the UPS driver said, he's been delivering a lot of RMA boxes. And that most of the returns were either hard drives or video.

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I even had mine coupled with a cooling unit, almost since day one. But in this day of electronics, only passive speakers seem immune to having problems.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

MS really has gone the extra mile with the 360 and it's nice knowing that they'll do what needs to be done to correct these issues.

John, so you know you *might* get a refurbed 360 back depending on what they find the issue. It's easier for them to send you a fixed one back than take the time to repair yours and get it back to you. That's what they did for me and put a note in saying they changed my serial # registration to this new unit. At first I was mad, but I talked to the guy and the way they exchange it is the same as if I had gotten mine back. They completely clean the unit inside and replace all the plastics and give it a new serial number (mine says on the back it was built 1 month before I got it).

But all in all, if it speeds up the process and gets it back to you who cares! Mine has been working perfectly (even better than my original one) every since!
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    MS really has gone the extra mile with the 360 and it's nice knowing that they'll do what needs to be done to correct these issues.

John, so you know you *might* get a refurbed 360 back depending on what they find the issue. It's easier for them to send you a fixed one back than take the time to repair yours and get it back to you. That's what they did for me and put a note in saying they changed my serial # registration to this new unit. At first I was mad, but I talked to the guy and the way they exchange it is the same as if I had gotten mine back. They completely clean the unit inside and replace all the plastics and give it a new serial number (mine says on the back it was built 1 month before I got it).

But all in all, if it speeds up the process and gets it back to you who cares! Mine has been working perfectly (even better than my original one) every since!
                    Yes sir, I am aware that they have been doing the swap in many cases. But thanks for mentioning it anyway.

Like you, I only want a/my unit to work as it should. That will keep me more than happy.

MS seems to be making a solid effort, to keep the 360 community satisfied. Though if they just made a reliable unit to begin with, we all would be even happier.

I haven't keep up but, does Sony's PS3 have as many problems?

PewterTA, I'm glad that your 360 works better than new. How long have you had this unit?

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

There have been some problems with the PS3's as well it's just how a new console goes.

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Yep, any new console has the problems....

I even heard a story where a person sent their PS3 in for failing and Sony rejected (under warranty) repairing it for free due to dust build up on the heatsink. No granted, I don't know how much dust was built up, but I'm not sure how much could "really" be in there with the system not that old in general...?! Just seems crazy, but each side has their goods and bads I suppose.

I've had my 360 for almost a year and a half. My 360 died after about 6 months and this replacement has been running since then. My PS3 is only a few weeks old, so hopefully it won't fail in the future since I didn't get the extended warranty from BB. :lol:
                        -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by John Holmes
                          MS seems to be making a solid effort, to keep the 360 community satisfied. Though if they just made a reliable unit to begin with, we all would be even happier.

I haven't keep up but, does Sony's PS3 have as many problems?
                          Agreed! I was thinking Xbox 360 a year ago, shortly after a friend of mine got his for Christmas. But then I heard how noisy the units can be because of the mechanical drives and cooling systems working overtime. I also had a hidden agenda to get the HD-DVD drive to go with it. In the end I decided to pass.

Then lately rumors of the Falcon processor hit the stores but locating one would be hit or miss. Eventually, it became easy to identify one by the lower power supply requirements. I picked mine up a week ago and the HD-DVD drive. I think this goes to show that MS is working to better the reliability of the product which has been reported to have a 33% failure rate. The PS3 by comparison has been reported to be more like 2%.

I've owned my PS3 for more than 10 months now and have yet to have an issue aside from the 2.0 firmware glitch.

Maybe we should run some repair stats here?
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Maybe MS should've gone with mercury cooling... then it'd be completely silent with the new quieter drive (BenQ model).

I'm thinking I might open my 360 up and install the new rear fans which are more quiet, flow more air and glow blue. That and replace the plastic air duct with aluminum. I think those mods would work good in helping it stay cooler and quiet it down some.

Only thing I wish they allowed was the swapping of the drives without locking them down so you can't replace them without a lot of work. I would really like to put the Benq in my 360.
                            -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

For me, the noise is a none issue. I (to date) pretty much use mine for games. And when gaming, my 7.1 surround tends to be a lot louder than the 360! :T

I don't own the HD add on so, I cannot comment on that.

Comment

• coyotetu
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                Yep, any new console has the problems....

I even heard a story where a person sent their PS3 in for failing and Sony rejected (under warranty) repairing it for free due to dust build up on the heatsink. No granted, I don't know how much dust was built up, but I'm not sure how much could "really" be in there with the system not that old in general...?! Just seems crazy, but each side has their goods and bads I suppose.

I've had my 360 for almost a year and a half. My 360 died after about 6 months and this replacement has been running since then. My PS3 is only a few weeks old, so hopefully it won't fail in the future since I didn't get the extended warranty from BB. :lol:
                                Just for reference, pictures were later released of the console in question, it was indeed filthy beyond compare. It clearly shows the negligence this customer had regarding his console. He said he wiped it down before he sent it in, yeah... right, he wiped it down with a stray dog. As if that wasn't enough, it looked like while he was driving around to find that dog, he stopped by a mud puddle and threw a few choice handfuls of mud at the exterior of it, then buried it in some clay until the mud dried. No, I'm not exaggerating..

That level of negligence should be considered a void of warranty, the same as a missing or defaced serial number.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Repair update

Well, yesterday, UPS showed up with my Xbox. Not a bad turn around. The repair dept signed for it on 12-4, it was back in my hands on 12-11.

PewterTA,

You hit the nail. They sent me a replacement. I got the paperwork as you did with yours. Mine has a build date of Nov 11, 07.

I played it for few hrs yesterday. Seems to work great. I just have to re-download a few arcade games that I purchased/ulocked from demos. At least I hope it will be that simple.

All-in-All, I'm very impressed with the level of service from Microsoft! They did exactly what they said they would. And for my trouble, they threw in 30 days of Xbox Live Gold. Xmas is looking brighter! :lol:

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

Ha ha, Congrats!

Glad to hear it's all going well.

ENJOY the gaming!!!
                                    -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Thank you, Sir!

Comment

• pengilly
                                        • Jan 2008

Xbox 360 woes,
                                        I have sent my away for a vacation 2 times now, hopefully 3 times wont be the charm!!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

You know, all the Xbox 360 issues are pretty rediculous, thumbs down to MS for that...

HOWEVER... Thumbs way up for how they are handling all the issues, I hear pretty good things about all these repairs.

(probably because they know if they didnt do anything the gaming community with the backing of the internet could ruin the xbox over night) :lol:
                                          B&W

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"