X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

PC vs. Processors

I have always leaned towards HT processors, amps, receivers and such, but recently a friend told me he is helping build a computer to run a home theater. I know very little about the computer running such things, but I know quite a bit about computers. I built my own last year, not a big task, I know, but I am fairly smart with them. Is there a benefit to using a computer over a dedicated receiver or processor? I did a search and didn't find the basics I was looking for. Why would a person choose a PC over a processor? Thanks for any input.
    Roly
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Rolyasm
    I have always leaned towards HT processors, amps, receivers and such, but recently a friend told me he is helping build a computer to run a home theater. I know very little about the computer running such things, but I know quite a bit about computers. I built my own last year, not a big task, I know, but I am fairly smart with them. Is there a benefit to using a computer over a dedicated receiver or processor? I did a search and didn't find the basics I was looking for. Why would a person choose a PC over a processor? Thanks for any input.
    Roly
    Cheaper, does EVERYTHING, more flexible, more customizable etc.

Downside, it's a LOT more work and requires near constant maintenance/tweaking... the price of all that flexibility
    Jason

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by aud19
      Downside, it's a LOT more work and requires near constant maintenance/tweaking... the price of all that flexibility

I've wondered about that - what if you set up your PC with updated software and drivers, and then pulled the plug on any/all internet connections/updates - would you have a relatively problem-free HTPC?

Paul

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Until you change some hardware and or software that requires you to update drivers, then there's windows updates etc... Plus disconnecting the internet means it loses some of it's functionality ie: no more browsing or email through it. Not to mention lot's of software requires internet connectivity.

Your best bet is you use a browser other than IE (Firefox for example) and run Adaware/virus protection, use a firewall etc
        Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

If it works, you don't need to update it. That includes Windows, if you're not connected to the internet or are behind a firewall. An HTPC doesn't need a full-time internet connection, unless you're using it to surf, or are downloading stuff with it. In that case, you'll want to keep it updated, have an anti-virus, spyware protection etc.

Comment

• Rolyasm
            • Dec 2004

Aud19,
            So lets say I am looking for a processor, which I am. What can the PC do that a processor can't? Also, would I connect my computer to all the components. I suppose they make special sound cards and stuff that decode DTS, DD PLIIX and others? Can PC's have things like XLR outputs? Digital Video upconversion? Analog bypass? Subwoofer crossover control? Sorry, I am really dumb about this. My computer has always been a 5.1 surround tool/toy for work and games. Can you expound on the "does EVERYTHING, more flexible, more customizable" and "requires almost constant tweaking." I would hook it up and use it only has a HTPC, using my other PC as it is, at least I think that is what I would do. Thanks.
            Roly

Comment

• Sim reality
              • Aug 2005

Here is some articles on someone buiding a Media PC... Doesn't quite look "audiophile quality" but better then HTIB:

This is Part 1 of a set of articles summarizing my experience choosing the components and building a a custom-built Home theater PC running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (or

This is Part 2 of a set of articles summarizing my experience choosing the components and building a a custom-built Home theater PC running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (or

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

By "everything" I mean it can do everything a PC does, ie: games, web, email, general computing as well as play back music and video media from the hard drives or removeable media. You can use as it as a PVR and media server or player with the appropiate hardware. You can use it as a pre/pro or just as a source to a receiver or pre/pro. And at any time you can change or add to that funcionality with software and/or hardware.

They do make soundcards with XLR output and you can decode any current surround fomat with the appropriate software as well as speaker levels and delays etc.

As everything's digital, as long as your video card's up to the task, with the apropriate software you can scale all your video to whatever res you like

As Kevin pointed out if everything's working you don't "need" an internet connection. Of course as "tweaking" is one of the bennefits of a HTPC so that won't last long. Also as I noted, internet connectivity is one of the advantages of a HTPC plus if you want things like PVR capability your computer will need the net for program guide info etc.
                Jason

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

So Aud19,
                  Lets say I wanted to build one with everything a processor would have; XLR, DVI, video upconversion and support for all the latest audio. What kind of a price range would I be looking at with hardware and software to have a great HTPC? Also, this may be a dumber question, but do they make remote controls that run your PC, or would I have to get up, turn on the screen and use a mouse? Thanks.
                  Roly

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

That's just as hard to answer for a PC as it is for HT gear. There's good equipment that will perform those functions relatively affordably and there's also ones that will outperform them for a lot more.

The biggest cost difference between small scale and big scale would probably be the amount/size of hard drives and whether you want to use them in a RAID array, the video and capture cards and the soundcard.

The mobo should be around (prices in Canadian) $150, CPU anywhere from $200 up, memory around $150-$250, case from $75-$500, good (and quiet) PSU $75-$150, DVD-RAM and DVD-RW drives $75-$100, soundcard anywhere from $150 up, video card $150 and up, HD's $100 and up. Then there's capture/tuner cards and other peripherals like remotes, wireless KB/mouse and/or PDA/laptop etc to control it... (and yes remotes are available)

For soundcards of good quality while remaing affordable, check out M-audio:
                    Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers

For high end check out Lynx Studio:
                    We engineer the finest tools to help audio professionals create even better sound.
                    Jason

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Aren't there problems with lots of jitter on HTPC audio systems?

Comment

• JKalman
                        • Nov 2005

I guess my question is, is there an excessive amount of jitter on PC audio/HT systems compared to dedicated component systems? If so, how much of a problem is it, hoe extensive is the problem?

I am really curious to know since I want to seperate out my HT from my audio system, and I using my computer would be an excellent way to save money. I could use my 30 inch Apple screen for movies, and set up the HT around my Macintosh computer. If there is a problem with jitter, is there a specific component I could use to take digital signals from my Mac and re-clock the signal, would your regular preamp/processor take care of these issues, e.g. my Bryston SP1.7? I already have the preamp/processor and amp (Bryston 9B SST), so I guess the better question would be, will the jitter from the computer if I use it as a source be noticeable, or is computer audio/HT jitter not really an issue nowadays?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows anything about this issue.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

I think, just like in the AV world it's a function of quality and price. Something along the lines of the over $1000 LynxTwo Soundcard is basically pro-level ie: could be used in a pro studio setup a cheap $25 soundcard from some miscelaneous company obviously won't perform as well. So yes, if you spend the money on quality gear a PC can offer very high performance.
                          Jason

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

FWIW, here's a link to a Secrets article on a Lynk Two.... I'll just say they REALLY liked it

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss
                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Is that better then this? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...10LT-main.html

And what does the Lynk card go for?

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

The Lynk card is pro level (ie: recording studio quality) so yes IMO it is better. However it also starts around $1K. For 1/4 the price, M-audio cards are no slouch's
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"