• Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Microsoft announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360

Here is the link

The war is on!
  • Wick
    • Dec 2005

Why wouldn't you just buy a separate HD-DVD player instead of getting the external add on for the Xbox 360?
    Paul

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Wick
      Why wouldn't you just buy a separate HD-DVD player instead of getting the external add on for the Xbox 360?
      The only reason I can see is to play HD-DVD games via the Box.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• cinema bob
        • Apr 2005

which is totally ridiculous. HD-dvd games will not be widely supported because it is not built in. this is the very same reason that lan and four player support wasn't widely supported on the PS2. the best that microsoft can do at this point is build a 2nd gen of the 360 with this built in. even then this patch will be typical microsoft and really tick of the early adopters and the programmers won't be happy about having to write to a new disk format. sorry but this is really stupid of microsoft and proof that they rushed the 360 to market incomplete in order to create hype.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

the reason they didnt include the HD DVD drive is because they had a deadline set and the HD DVD technology was not ready for that launch the timeing on releaseing a new console is very touchy and if i were in their situation and i knew i could go on without the hd dvd drive for now then i probably wouldve done the same thing the console was not all that rushed i mean they have been developeing it for years i dont understand why everyone thinks its rushed not that many units had problems and i dont ever see any new product that doesnt have a few problems people just put the blame on microsoft because it is that easy...a lot of the problems with over heating and what not could actually go back to the manufacturer of that particular console they use different mfg's you know and each one doesnt use the exact same parts....like with the first xbox and the different dvd rom drives

Comment

• maseline_98
            • Apr 2005

does anybody know if this will be coming out with an "upconvertor" built-in?

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
            Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

The other issue is that the XBox 360 player will not support HDMI...
              Danish

Comment

• maseline_98
                • Apr 2005

From what I've read, since there is no HDMI, that means there is no TrueHD sound(though, I haven't seen a lot of titles being released with it).

There's a preorder on amazon that comes with King Kong and a 360 media remote for $199...I'm questioning if this a good deal. I want a HD-DVD player, but I don't tend to buy a lot of movies and nobody seems to be renting them as of yet...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, what's up with that? (although I got to wondering today, if the PS3 will be HDMI 1.3 compliant--if not, it's only limited to legacy digital audio formats too)
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• maseline_98
                    • Apr 2005

My marantz sr-8400 receiver doesn't have a HDMI input(and I don't plan on upgrading it anytime soon). Too many other things to buy first so I might actually considering buying this. It seems that Blockbuster is starting to rent HD-DVD. I'm sure the selection is YMMV, but it's a start.

Comment

• Sponge
                      • May 2006

Your right now HDMI not sure about upconverting I can find out on Monday...

And they will be very heavily allocated at launch...Microsoft is about the worst at launching hardware particuarly accessories and perferials
                      Old HT guy getting back into it!

Comment

• birdman71
                        • Nov 2006

It's out. I love it.

The drive uses a USB connection to deliver raw data to the 360 for decoding. There are no connections on the drive at all other than USB (it does add two USB ports so you have a net gain of one port.) It operates exactly like an external DVD drive works with a PC. As a matter of fact, some people have connected theirs to PCs already. It can be used as a standard DVD reader already but XP is missing a UDF2.5 driver (???) for reading the file structure on HD-DVDs. This missing driver has already been located with a recent version of Nero. AVSforum guys are reporting HD-DVD playback on HTPCs already with a Japanese version on WinDVD but it seems to be at 540p right now.

Now back to the 360 use:

It can output 1080i over component and 1080p with the VGA cable. No HDMI. It has whatever output capabilities the 360 itself has since it simply passes data via USB to the 360.

It can not upconvert SD DVDs. This goes back to the DVDForum rules and doesn't allow upconversion over component. With a few exceptions that ignore the rule, this applies to all DVD players. VGA was grandfathered in since it's a PC style connection and not CE. With the recent updates, the 360 can upconvert SD DVD via it's internal DVD drive with or without the HD-DVD addon, but this only applies with VGA output.

So to summarize, here's a breakdown of resolutions by connection and media type:

Component: Games (1080p), SD-DVD (480p), HD-DVD (1080i)
                        VGA: Games (1080p), SD-DVD (1080p), HD-DVD (1080p)

I'm not sure why component allows 1080p gaming but only 1080i HD-DVD... This is what I've been able to extract from the 360 threads at AVS.

For audio, Dolby Digital is the only game in town. However, there is an advantage over standard DVD. Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD and both re-encoded to Dolby Digital but at 640k bitrate. I believe the Dolby Digital tracks on standard DVD are only 384k.

I got a great price on it (there is a Circuit City coupon floating around the net) and love it so far. King Kong looks great and I didn't have a 360 remote yet.

Mike

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Hmmmm.... not sure about this new device. Some iffy stuff there.

Mike if it's doing it for you, though, then GREAT!
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

I'm planning to hold out for a standalone player. I'm not interested in the PS3 since I've got a 360 already. I'm also weary of the add-on for fear of running into some limitations down the road.
                            Danish

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by birdman71
                              It's out. I love it.

The drive uses a USB connection to deliver raw data to the 360 for decoding. There are no connections on the drive at all other than USB (it does add two USB ports so you have a net gain of one port.) It operates exactly like an external DVD drive works with a PC. As a matter of fact, some people have connected theirs to PCs already. It can be used as a standard DVD reader already but XP is missing a UDF2.5 driver (???) for reading the file structure on HD-DVDs. This missing driver has already been located with a recent version of Nero. AVSforum guys are reporting HD-DVD playback on HTPCs already with a Japanese version on WinDVD but it seems to be at 540p right now.

Now back to the 360 use:

It can output 1080i over component and 1080p with the VGA cable. No HDMI. It has whatever output capabilities the 360 itself has since it simply passes data via USB to the 360.

It can not upconvert SD DVDs. This goes back to the DVDForum rules and doesn't allow upconversion over component. With a few exceptions that ignore the rule, this applies to all DVD players. VGA was grandfathered in since it's a PC style connection and not CE. With the recent updates, the 360 can upconvert SD DVD via it's internal DVD drive with or without the HD-DVD addon, but this only applies with VGA output.

So to summarize, here's a breakdown of resolutions by connection and media type:

Component: Games (1080p), SD-DVD (480p), HD-DVD (1080i)
                              VGA: Games (1080p), SD-DVD (1080p), HD-DVD (1080p)

I'm not sure why component allows 1080p gaming but only 1080i HD-DVD... This is what I've been able to extract from the 360 threads at AVS.

For audio, Dolby Digital is the only game in town. However, there is an advantage over standard DVD. Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD and both re-encoded to Dolby Digital but at 640k bitrate. I believe the Dolby Digital tracks on standard DVD are only 384k.

I got a great price on it (there is a Circuit City coupon floating around the net) and love it so far. King Kong looks great and I didn't have a 360 remote yet.

Mike
                              King Kong does look great.
                              Plus the 360 media remote was a nice inclusion.
                              FS also included a copy of the King Kong 360 game
                              as well as the HD DVD of King Kong.
                              This resulted in a cost of under $100 for the HD player because of the extra's.
                              Anyways, it was a great deal and if you own a 360, then it just makes sense to pick this up regardless.
                              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

There is an HDMI cable coming out for the 360 early December from what I heard. Like December 4th only bad thing is its going to cost 99 bucks. But it will do 1080p over HDMI.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

This box is a nice add-on for the Xbox 360 (I say this with one connected and installed in my bedroom). I'm using VGA output, as I can drive my LCD monitors with that, as well as my NEC CRT projector. I think its intelligent for now to offer it as an outboard, as only those wanting or needing it need purchase- the incremental cost isn't necessary for others. (there is an availability problem with the blue laser diodes used for this drive and for the PS3).

It comes with a nice A/V style remote, as well as the software to install for the player. If you've already got an Xbox 360, it's a relatively minor additional expenditure, and very good value for $200, as Trevor notes.

And why would I have an Xbox 360? Two words- "Oblivion", and "HD-DVD".

Slightly off topic, IBM must be laughing all the way to the bank- with MS, Nintendo, and Sony all using processors built by IBM, they're clearing about 3-1/2 billion this year on custom PPC for game consoles, and expect to do about 5 billion next year.

~jon
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alloroc
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

The modders are at it and already they've dismantled it and installed it on XP.

Great stuff.....

As the article states, it seems like Microsoft has unwilling created a cheap HD-DVD drive, for any Windows user.

Roll on hi def HTPCs.

V.
                                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Honestly I think Microsoft planned on it being compatible with PC's. I mean honestly it would have been hacked eventually anyways? I almost guarantee that windows vista will have drivers built in for the drive. Think about it a 199 dollar HD DVD player.....that would sure drive up hd dvd sales

Comment

• Alloroc
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                        Honestly I think Microsoft planned on it being compatible with PC's. I mean honestly it would have been hacked eventually anyways? I almost guarantee that windows vista will have drivers built in for the drive. Think about it a 199 dollar HD DVD player.....that would sure drive up hd dvd sales
                                        Vista will for sure. Incidentally, I have to say.... Vista is sweet. I installed Vista Pro when I recieved it last week and it's really quite impressive.

Anyhow, I don't think the other manufacturers including Toshiba will be that happy given the price point for internal HD-DVDs is set around $500. But this simple mod could push down inital pricing. Which is good!
                                        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Well isn't the toshiba HD-DVD drive going to be a burner as well? or are they not following in the BD-R footsteps?

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"