X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

Graphics cards-what the?

The only thing in the whole PC univerese that confuses the @#$! out of me is graphics cards. I just can't get my head around them, just too many out there.

So this leads to what i need help with, which is the right card for me? I'm after an AGP card to suit my MoBo that has a 8x/4x slot. I'm a gamer (of sorts) spending hours playing CS:Source and BF2 into the early hours. my little FX5200 128mb card strains under the load.

I've got my eye on these:
    Albatron 128mb DDR FX6600GT
    Albatron 256mb DDR FX6600Q
    Gigabyte N5256D FX5500 256mb 128bit AGP8x DVI port TVO TwinV
    Radeon 9600XT 256mb Sapphire
    Radeon HIS ATI 9600XT 256mb 128bit DVI TV-out
    Radeon HIS ATI 9600XT 256mb 128bit DVI TV-out ViVO
    Radeon R9600PRO 256mb DSUB TVOUT DVI AGP8X Gigabyte
    Radeon X700A 256mb AGP8X TVO/DVI Gecube

I know...its not a shortlist but thats my problem, they are all within my budget but a can't take a firm winner from the group because I don't know how to compare. I had Nvidia chips since day one but I'm open to both NV and Ati.

Please help! All hail ;x( ;x( ;x( to the person that sheads light on what's best.
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Depending on budget, a 6800 series card would be the one to get. If you can't swing it, then a 6600GT will be the best of the bunch. It smokes the ATI cards.

I play the same games and run a 6800GT-0C from BFG. Great card.

Comment

• Anton
      • Oct 2004

I wish i could spend AU$510 on a graphics card, the FX6800GT is not in my budget in the slightest.

The cards i listed are all around AU$200,but it's a case of finding the best for the money. I recently read that a 256mb GPU might not run as fast (or hard) as a 128mb (in some cases). This is what confuses me, there is so much conflicting info and no hard facts to make a choice. I wish it was like buying a new DVD or TV, go to the show room and make judge directly. And then there's the ATI vs. Nvidia drama.

Comment

• Josh Wilken
        • Jun 2005

Anton,

Yes, video cards can be confusing, but a lot less so than speakers!!! At least there are objective benchmarks!

CS: Source and BF2 will certainly stress the card you have.

The key thing you want is to be able to play the game at the monitor resolution you like (1024 x 768 is a nice start), with all the goodies turned on, with a good framerate throughout (40 frames per second is good, more is better up to around 50-60 at which point you can't tell the difference)

Video cards follow the hockey-stick rule, meaning that a basic card can be had for very little, a nice card for just a little more, but at some point on the price/performance scale cards get VERY expensive ($350+).

I always recommend people get the best bang for their buck, as video cards obsolete about every two years. It does not pay to get the $500 version if in two years you want to replace it, better to get the $150 one that you'll want to replace in 18 months.

Another point, most card's performance is based primarily on the chipset (Nvidia 6600GT, ATI X700 are examples), and not as much of the manufacturer's influence. That said, its best to go with a known reputable manufacturer than a no-name.

For BF2 and CSS I think you would be quite happy (for the price) with an Nvidia 6600GT or ATI 9800PRO with either 128 or 256 megs memory. I haven't heard of the Albatron you mention - might want to do your homework on them before you purchase. Make SURE you get the AGP, not the PCIe version. PCIe won't work with your mobo.

The 9800 pro can be had for around $135, the 6600GT can be had for around $150 - for the small price differential the 6600GT will last a bit longer and go a bit faster at higher resolutions and levels of detail.

Newegg.com and pricewatch.com are both great places to research price. Newegg has OUTSTANDING customer service.

Here's a link to a bunch of the AGP cards with performance results in Half-life 2, the engine for CS:S.

Happy hunting!

~Josh
        Attached Files

Comment

• Josh Wilken
          • Jun 2005

One more thing...

Oh, and in general, 256m versions of video cards are not clocked as agressively as their 128m brothers- meaning more space for high-res textures, but slightly less performance for games that do not have those higher-res textures.

128M should be fine for what you are playing. If you want to future proof, look at the 256M cards, but realize you may not see any difference.

And here's an article that covers BF2 performance. X700 is supposed to be close in performance to the 9800pro.

Hope this all helps.

~Josh

Comment

• Anton
            • Oct 2004

:E WOW :E Josh,

You know your stuff ;x( .

So from what you are saying, a 6600GT 128mb will do the trick when playing CS:S and BF2 playing at 1024x768 with some eye candy switched on like shadows and medium level textures.

I'm going to buy a whole new machine after this minor upgrade so future proffing is not high on the agenda, I really want a stop gap solution to push me through until next year.

Once agin your an absolute legend :T , anymore help you can give is unreal.

Comment

• Josh Wilken
              • Jun 2005

With CS:S you should be able to play 1024x768 with most everything turned on- I do.

BF2- not as sure here as I only have the demo, not the full version, but you should be able to enjoy most of the eye-candy there as well.

When the time comes for the upgrade let me know- I could give you some general advice now, but if its going to be a few months any part-specific advice will likely have changed.

~Josh

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I vote 6600GT too for that price range :T
                Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I have an AGP version of the 6600 in my HTPC, and it's a very nice all around performer, while still having a "reasonable" price.

It would be nice to have a killer top of the line setup, but there's so many places to put money these days... hard for me to justify USD $500 video cards, even though I'm pretty hard core (well, used to be.... )

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Anton
                    • Oct 2004

Once again this forum has helped me with a difficult problem, thanks for all your advice.

This weekend I'm on the hunt for a 128mb 6600GT, can't wait to get one now. Hopefully my frag count gets a bit of a boost. Some people would say I'm a "carpenter blaming his tools", but every bit helps when attempting to make a head shot with an AWP from half way across a map.

Comment

• Josh Wilken
                      • Jun 2005

When it comes time to purchase, keep in mind that newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com may be a few dollars more than the lowest bidder, but that's justified in my opinion - both sites have EXCELLENT customer service and turn-around times on shipments.

Oh, and if you can't find a better deal I can get you a AGP MSI 6600GT for $150 + actual shipping costs. I have one unused, in box, with all the games bundled, that was supposed to go into a computer that didn't materialize.

~Josh

Comment

• Anton
                        • Oct 2004

I feel so greatful for all the advice Josh that i feel obliged to buy the card from you, but ther's only one catch: I'm in Australia. After paying for the card (US$150 and then shipping) its going be as much as a card from my local PC shop. I use a web site called www.staticice.com.au, which gives me prices for all my local dealers. This is the listing:
                        AU$221.71 AGP (nVidia) - XpertVision GF 6600GT 128MB 128bit DDR3, AGP 8X, DVI, TV-Out

I'm going to pick it up next week.

Comment

• Josh Wilken
                          • Jun 2005

I think you will be very happy with the card, and no worries on not wanting to pay actual shipping to Australia!!!! That would have been a long wait, too!

Enjoy the card!

~Josh

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"