X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Pentium 4 notebooks, why, why not?

A friend is looking at a Toshiba Pentium 4 notebook. I Thought I'd remembered something about the 4s causing problems in laptops due to heat. But I wanted to check here and see what you all think...

I think the deal was like a grand for one with dvd burner, etc...

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

It depends on the speed and type of P4 in the laptop. Early P4s that ran under 2 GHz aren't as bad heat wise as the 3+ Ghz Prescott P4s that you can cook your dinner on.

$1G for a laptop with a dvd burner? That must be used? Toshiba is a good brand though.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

thanks Kev, may be refurb, not sure. I'll check on the speeds of it before I tell him definitively yes or no on my recommendation.

Doug
      Doug

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Doug,

If you know the specific model this URL should help:

Toshiba laptop reviews

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I've had heat related problems with the P4 (2.4GHz) chip in my wifes laptop and its battery life is terrible compared to the newer Centrio based notebooks. Even AMD's 64 bit chips do better for battery life. Personally I've been very impressed with my new Dell i6000 notebook as it fixed all the issues I had with the previous generation (keyboard, screen and heat/battery life)

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

My sister just got a 3.0GHz P4 laptop. Battery life certainly sucks, but it's meant to be a portable desktop. So long as you keep it on a desk/table and have clearence around the base for air to move it seems fine.

We recently ran it for 6hrs sitting on a desk. It definetly gets warm, but it's not smokin' hot or anything. It has dual fans underneath, one for the CPU and one for the graphics area.

Not a Toshiba though. Not sure what the cooling capabilities of the Tosh's are.

Boy is it fast too! :T
            ~Nick

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

How loud are those fans Nick? I rarely hear mine since it runs cooler then my wifes P4 based notebook.

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

The fans aren't very loud at all. Certainly less quiet than the combo drive spooling up for liftoff! :B
                ~Nick

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

They those can be loud...the one in my desktop ROARS!

Comment

• raider
                    • Dec 2004

You might consider using a chill pad if its a problem
                    Im running a p4 mobile and it get pretty warm but with the chill pad its cool as a cucumber :T
                    It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Why not? Cause they're less efficient and hotter than AMD64's or Intel Centrino's
                      Jason

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

A top-fuel dragster is also less efficient than a Toyota Prius. They serve different applications. For a smokin fast (bad use of words... :B) laptop that eats batteries for breakfast, I vote for the P4! :lol:
                        ~Nick

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Not a great analogy though as both the Centrino and especially the AMD64 are both high performing as well
                          Jason

Comment

• taz13
                            • Jun 2004

Got to get in here, if the laptop is used as a desktop replacement and heat isn't a problem, then neither is battery as you will be plugged in. I have a 3.40 extreme Dell XPS that runs hot and is rather noisy and is fast. 2Gb helps.
                            The pentium m that I use at work is decent but nowhere near what the XPS is, but a whole lot easier to carry around.
                            But if I am doing graphics or games I will take my XPS.
                            The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                            Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The issue I have with high heat units is that they tend to have their fans running a lot more which I find annoying. As far as power goes my 1.6GHz centrio is as fast as my 3.2 GHz P4 at work when I bench mark them. If raw power is what you need the AMD 65 bit chip runs a lot cooler and uses less power then the P4's...unfortunatly its not available in many notebooks so you're more limited in selection.

Comment

• taz13
                                • Jun 2004

I can agree with that, but I am not bothered by fan noise on my XPS, but I am with some of the ones I use at work. I'll have to check what is in our Toshibas. I am a fan of AMD but, every time I buy a laptop, I can never find anything I like with an AMD in it. All my desktops are AMD, although my HTPC is an Intel.
                                The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
                                Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

You know as it turned out, my Sony laptp is a P4, operating at 2.8. It's very quite, and overall doesn't seem to get very hot. Well constructed I guess. I've had it about a year. I'd really forgot about it even being a P4. I pick it up, i surf with it, I put it down. Of course, it's not a Toshiba though.
                                  Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Sony makes really good laptops too Doug :T they just tend to charge more for them
                                    Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

I'll pay a little more for reliability, and features/benefits. The Sony has the Xbrite screen, side mount CD, good size display, good speed all for 1300-1400 at the time. Not a really bad price considering any off brand was 1K with the P4 at that time I Think. I've had pretty good luck with Sony laptops, so I've stayed with them lately.
                                      Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

I was tempted by the Sony's when I was shopping for my last notebook. Unfortunatly at the time they didn't have the chipset I wanted but they were nicely built and very stylish

Comment

• maseline_98
                                          • Apr 2005

If you are going to get a new laptop...get a "M"(mobile) chip. The P4's get hot and will often shut down your machine. Also, the P4 chips suck for battery life. I have Dell 1.7 Pentium-M Laptop and I get nearly 6 hours on battery life. I used to have a Toshiba P4 2.8 and I got about 2 hours. It makes a huge difference!!!!...With the short battery life you will have to have it plugged in a lot, which causes even more heat....that's just IMHO

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                          Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• ht_addict
                                            • Dec 2002

This is the notebook I'd love too have: Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi($2400CDN)

Specs:

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-37
                                            1GB (512/512) DDR333 SDRAM
                                            100GB hard drive
                                            integrated DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive
                                            5-in-1 card reader
                                            15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) TFT display
                                            ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 graphics
                                            802.11b/g WLAN, gigabit LAN, V.92 modem

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

I didn't know Acer was utilizing AMD chips?! :P Still, I wish the likes of the Fujitsu, Toshiba, Sony etc would start using them..... :evil:
                                              Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Those high end Acer's are supposed to be nice :T

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

How's their reliability though Andrew....? I've already been burnt by the more "bargain-brand" end of the laptop spectrum....
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Not sure. They're way more popular over in Europe then here.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                      • Jul 2004

Can't speak to the newer Acers but I have an old AcerNote Lite that just refuses to die.
                                                      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"