X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackstar
    • Nov 2000

Burn-in?

May be a silly question [I know there is no such thing as silly questions, just silly answers], but i have to ask it anyway...

I had a housewarming last night, and the last couple stragglers left @ the party were the last people watching my Toshiba 57HX83. They shut of the DVD player and receiver, so that the screen went black. However, the TV was not off, it was @ the black dvd input screen.

Could this cause some serious wear that i'm not aware of? Or be anything I should worry about? It was left like this for about 11-12 hours. The TV looks fine, i ran convergence and had to re-adjust it a bit, as it was off.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

The Land of the "Horse"
    The Land of the "Horse"
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mike so long as there wasn't a logo or menu on the screen it would be fine. Great party btw.....has melissa stopped cleaning yet :alol:

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Michael, as long as there wasn't any text or images showing on the screen, you should be fine. For a check, get your Video Essentials disc and bring up the solid background colors. That'll show you if anything is starting to burn in in any of the guns.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

An all-black or dark gray screen won't cause any burn-in or undue wear. An all-blue screen (especially if it's bright) can cause your blue CRT to fade faster than the other two over time, causing grayscale problems down the road, but it won't cause "burn-in" in the classic sense of the term.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• blackstar
          • Nov 2000

Thanks guys for the advice!

Much appreciated...I'm just real paranoid. Never owned a RPTV, and i constantly worry about burn-in.

There were no logos on the screen, it was just black, so based on what you guys said, I should be ok.

I don't have the Video Essentials calibration DVD yet...but i will track it down. I used Andrew's Avia to calibrate my setup when I initially bought the tv.

As for the party, thank you Andrew! I'm really happy that you had a good time. I was sick as a dog on that night [apparently people thought i was really drunk], so i'm glad that i was able to be a good enough host and throw a good party despite having a fever and sore throat! And yes...Melissa is still cleaning

The Land of the "Horse"
          The Land of the "Horse"

Comment

• Mitchell
            • Sep 2004

I have been trying to figure out what kind of tv to get for the last few months. Plasma seems to be better in most respects except burn -in. The lcd's in 42" seem to be twice the price so I could theoretically buy a second plasma in a couple of years if it burns in. How hard is it to burn -in a plasma? Will watching CNN with a logo in the corner for an hour do it?
            I would be paranoid like you.
            Mitchell

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Mitchell,
              I don't know about Plasma but static logos will end up doing that. My father in law watches lots of news and stuff with logos and never has an issue on his CRT. Then again that is CRT. Plasmas are supposedly much more prone to burn in that a CRT.

I can say that if I owned one I'd just calibrate the entire deal and let it go. If you are still going to be worried, then that technology may not be it for you. Personally I think burn in on a CRT is a non issue for the most part. Unless you are really negligent, I don't see this as a big deal.

I don't see the point in worrying though. Just relax and enjoy.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Plasmas can exhibit two types of "burn" - temporary and permanent. Keeping a static image up for an hour or two can lead to a temporary sort of burn, that fades after a few hours of viewing varied material. More extreme negligence can lead to a permanent phosphor burn similar to what CRTs can get.

I don't know burn figures off the top of my head, but I would figure that a plasma is about as prone to permanent burn as a projection CRT set. So as long as you turn the contrast down and watch varied material you should be fine.

When looking at the 42" LCD vs. the 42" plasma, note that a lot of the cheap plasmas are not full HDTV resolution, they are more typically EDTV resolution, typically 852 x 480 pixels. A 42" LCD, or a more expensive plasma (though currently cheaper than the LCD, but I bet not for long) will yield something more like 1366x768 resolution, which is sufficient for 720p HDTV.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I think I posted this in a similar thread here recently-

We have a plasma in our bedroom, and my wife (who has health problems and spends a lot of time in bed) watches a lot of TV on it. She watches The Learning Channel a LOT, so sometimes when I turn on the TV there will be an after-image of the "TLC" logo in the bottom corner. But after watching a bit on the screen, especially bright scenes with a lot of light, it goes away. Plasmas seem to be like that, with "temporary" burn-in.

I am careful to avoid permanent burn-in with pausing a video for a long time or something. (this eats up your TV life anyways, though) I alter 4:3 material so that I don't burn in side bars when I'm watching widescreen stuff.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Unfortunately we have used our new Toshiba 57hx93 RPTV with 4x3 programing for about 5 months. I was astonished to learn that we have burn in on the sides.
                    Too bad since it is an excellent set. It sure didn't take very long for burn in to settle.
                    The set is pretty much ruined now.
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Mitchell
                      • Sep 2004

Trevor,
                      If you were to buy another set would you do anything differntly?
                      I assume RPTV is Plasma.
                      Mitchell
                      Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"