X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billbee
    • Jun 2003

Help with FP Decision

I'm not very conversant with FP technologies, etc, but I'm beginning to learn. I hope to buy a FPTV soon, and have begun to talk with two installers in my area. Basically, we have a large room (about 19x26) with an 80" high front wall before a sloped ceiling rises to 12 feet. Based on early discussions, we might be able to go with as much as a 100" wide screen with seating around 14 feet back (we want to keep some exercise equipment behind the single row seating.

Anyway, I'm completely lost regarding how to approach the selection of a projector. One company is starting off with a Runco DLP that is around $6,000 and the other says I should go with a reconditioned CRT for $10,000 plus a $4,000 external processor. Then I've read the messages on this site about a Sony LCD projector below $3,000. To be honest, I don't know how quality sensitive we will be. The main use will be movies, but it will get some sports and general TV use as well.

Any good advice about how to sort through this? I feel completely at the mercy of the people I'm talking to and hate feeling subject to being sold up to something that might be a lot more than we would be satisfied with.

Along those lines, any advice for finding someone a novice like me can trust to advise and sell at the same time?

Any help would be great.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hello Bill, and welcome to HTGuide!

I can readily understand how planning to take the plunge into FPTV without some background in the technologies could be a bit scary or worrisome. No one wants to spend more than they need to, but then you also should consider that as you gain some experience with the equipment and media, your expectations may change and grow.

Like some others on the board here, I've had both CRT and digital panel projectors. Kevin had a good basic overview in this thread about the differences between FPTV and RPTV, and covered the basic technologies and trade-offs for front projection pretty well.

Note that the newer digital panel systems, which of course, are relatively easy to setup, are closing the gap in performance with CRT systems- but they aren't quite there yet, for the really discerning videophile. But the CRT systems require much more effort in initial setup and periodic maintainence, and while digital panel projectors require bulbs every 1,000 to 3,000 hours, CRT's typically need to be re-tubed every 10,000 hours or so, depending on how hard they've been driven. Keeping the contrast and light output set moderately can really benefit the lifetime of a CRT unit.

I'd suggest that you and your family go view some of the examples; pick out a few favorite DVD's, including some with relatively dark scenes, like Gladiator, which tend to be a bit more difficult for digital panel projectors. Get a feel for what you like. Be on the look out with DLP projectors for the possibility of rainbow effects- single chip DLP's, with their rotating color wheels, can have visual artifacts when you're scanning your eyes across a scene, especially with black and white movies or scenes predominantly in shades of gray. For some folks, this is hardly noticable; for others, it's headache inducing, and a substantial problem. While you're at it, be sure to check out DILA projectors, such as the JVC's, also sometiems called LCOS, Liquied Crystal on Silicon. Sony is reported to be introducing a series of new projectors based on a refinement of this technology around the end of the year. Like conventional LCD projectors, these are three chip devices, and don't have the color wheel or rainbow issues that some DLP's have. They also have a very high fill factor for each pixel square, and so have very little of the effect described as "screen door" when you sit too close to an LCD projector.

Go out and look at some of these- just to calibrate your expectations, take in a range of them, including the Runco you mention, the current Marantz 720P DLP if you can find it in your area, and also the "baby" Sony, just so you see what you can get for $2700. Other good prospects are the new widescreen format Yamaha, and the new Immersive tek "Virtuoso".

The HS10 Sony, when setup properly with the color/contrast enhancing lens included, can deliver some pretty nice images for the technology and the cost- I've seen these myself recently. What it won't do is deliver the deep blacks and sometimes eye popping depth that a well installed CRT system on a good high gain screen like a DALITE High Power is capable of... but then, at a small fraction of the price, why should it? Perhaps a relatively inexpensive projector like this, with decent light output, is a way to get started and get a feel for the whole experience- if you sell it for half of what you paid for it in two or three years after you've done more viewing and research, you've had a few of years of viewing pleasure at relatively moderate cost and low risk.

Good luck in your hunt- whatever you wind up with, you've got some really nice cinematic experiences awaiting you in your own home theater once you make your purchasing decision. I doubt you'll regret it.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Bill, welcome to The Guide. :later: It's always good to see another Texan posting around here - where is Southlake, anyway?

Starting out with a reply from Jon pretty much puts you at the top of the mountain. He's one of the most knowledgable and respected members we have - just check out the DIY forum. I'll just add one comment. When Jon talks about keeping the contrast and output low to save bulb wear, that's not sacrificing picture quality. Generally, displays all come with these settings jacked way up to make the picture "reach out and grab you" on the showroom floor, when in actuality they make it unnatural looking and do shorten bulb/gun life. Proper (read: lower) contrast and output will give you the best levels of detail and shading discernable.

Hey, stop by At The Movies and hang out a while when you have the time.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Hi, Bill and welcome to The Guide.

That's pretty good advice from Jon. I have owned crt, lcd and now dlp, which I like the best. But with crt, you should be comfortable with learning how do some things yourself, like setting convergence for the red, green and blue tubes, otherwise it will cost you to have someone come in and do this every 6 to 8 months or so. Crt is pretty hard to beat, but Dlp and Di-La are getting close in the black level and contrast department. Lcd, on the other hand, has come a long way since I first got into it several years ago. The new Sony HS10, as Jon pointed out, gives quite a picture for the money, but blacks will not even be close to crt, unfortunately.

Another consideration will be the size of your screen and where the projector will be placed. Some PJ's have long throw lens, while others have short throw lens and these things, along with where the seating will be, also has an affect on whether the PJ will be ceiling or floor mounted.

Many installers carry the Runco line and push the product. There is no doubt that the product is good, but you pay for it. And there are competing products that are just as good, but much lower priced. It isn't a bad idea to start with a low priced PJ. You learn a lot with your first home theater project and if you don't put out a lot of money at the beginning, you can upgrade and improve as you learn.

Good luck with your project. My setup has a 92" wide screen and there is nothing like it. Once you have tasted the big screen in your home, there is no going back to something smaller.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Neal_C
          • Feb 2003

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking into FP as well, so I'll be watching this thread closely. Since we live pretty darn close, I wouldn't mind knowing what Pj's you look at and where you go to look at them.

Good luck in your search.

Neal

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Bill-

I think the answer is the usual ambiguous "It Depends". If you want rich, deep blacks and colors, but don't mind a large unit size and having to tweak and calibrate regularly, go CRT. $10K for a reconditioned one sounds pretty high, though. You can get most high-end CRT PJ's rebuilt for about $7-8K MAXIMUM. Many go for much less than that. If you want somethign more integrated with today/tomorrow's technology, go DLP or LCD. You can get some pretty good LCD's now for under $3k. Good DLP's right now are selling for $10-13K, but two are being released this month in the $6k-$8k range that are just as good.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dean McManis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • May 2003

Bilbee,

If you can get us the model numbers of the proposed projectors we can better judge the value of the systems offered. Also it would be good to know if the room has controllable light, and if you are planning it as a social room, or more of a dedicated home theater. Also it would be good to look at if you plan on mostly watching TV, or just movies.

It would benifit you best to go to a nearby HT store if you can to compare the picture quality of the widescreen DLP projectors with the high-end CRT projectors. For some people the difference is huge, and with some it's nothing to note. That determination will set you closer to making your decision.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"