X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

HELP ME DECIDE!!!

Ok gang...I've decided on the Sanyo Z1 and a Da-Lite 92" HCCV Permwall Screen.

I have two options:

Package 1: $1,659 includes Z1 and screen (including shipping).

Package 2: $1,820 includes Z1, screen, and "free" lamp (includes shipping).

Replacement lamps from retailer who's offering me package #1 sells for $305. Lamp from retailer who's offering me package #2 goes for $450.

So my dilema is...do I just go for cheapest price package or package 2 which has the extra lamp? Cause if I added an extra lamp at package number 1's prices I'd be at $1,964. So one could argue that package #2 is actually the better buy!!! :x (And I already asked, package $2 is not available without the lamp...so they can't simply subtract $450 from the price)...was worth a shot though! :twisted:

The lamps are rated at about 2,000 hours...will I need a new lamp before I may want to upgrade or will I be happy I got that extra lamp? Oh the pain....

I know, I know it all matters on viewing time, etc....I'm just fishing for someone to talk some 'sense' into me on what's the best deal. Package #2 comes from a "larger" dealer, while package #1 comes from a smaller outfit. I talked to both personally and they are both very pleasurable and friendly....so I guess that's why I'm torn!

Any input from you fine folks?

THANKS!!!!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

"Lamp life expectancy". Not guaranteed. It's nice to have the spare so unexpected or early failures don't shut you down.

Only reason I would not go option 2 is if the extra money really hurts your short term budget.

On the topic of lamp life, these calculations for lamp life are based on assumptions of run time vs. number of on/off cycles. Generally, they assume a 3-5 hour on time. And each on/off cycle is presumed to consume about 0.01 percent of a lamp's life (2 hours in this case). So if you will have the PJ off for less than an hour or so, just leave it on.

BB

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

Brandon, thanks for confirming what I was thinking...yea lamp life is not guaranteed that's for sure...heck Sanyo doesn't even list the lamp life so it's a best guess on most everyone's part!

The $161 difference is not a deal killer by any means...or budget killer for that matter...I'm more torn because I like both reps! :?

If I go route #2 if I did upgrade...I would be able to offer a brand new lamp with the PJ when I sold it! :P

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

It's a no brainer, package #2. You're getting a $305 (or $450) lamp for $161, and it's always good to have a spare. And chances are you'll put more than 2000 hours on it before you upgrade anyway. How much do you use your HT, in hours per week? That'll help you estimate your bulb life.

It's amazing that FP is getting so inexpensive. You're getting a projector, screen and spare lamp for under $2000. I paid more than that for my 46" RPTV 3 years ago! 8O

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• efarstad
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2001

Kev: We watch maybe 2-3 movies a week...but it would probably get more use with FPTV! Cause I'll eventually hook up HDTV down there...and definately use it for sporting events...so yea...the extra lamp would be a nice thing to have....

Say 8hrs/week x 52 weeks = 416hrs/year...yea...I can see that 2000 (if that's a true measure) not lasting too long....and that's just current useage...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

Comment

• AndrewM
            • Oct 2000

I'm going to jump on the other side of the fence with a few caveats. At your current usage it would take you just about 5 yrs to reach 2,000 hours. Granted the bulb may go earlier, it may also go later than that. But how long are you going to keep this projector?

The other question is how hard will it be to get a new bulb in the future in case it blows out (you being in the US means you can probably get one the next day). And do you want to risk it? It's cheap now, but if you never use the lamp it's still wasted money.

Andrew

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

Andrew: Good point too! I've been debating this on my drive home from work...and the savings would be better spent elsewhere....five years from now I won't be able to get anything for this PJ as a resale...plus my sister will probably want it! So I'm kinda leaning on the money saved side!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Eric, just go and make the deal It's time you started watching FP in that great looking room of yours.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

Thanks George...but I wouldn't be doin' my part for "The Guide" if I didn't start threads like this now would I?!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Doesn't the Z1 come with a free bulb? I thought one of these budget PJ's did and I'm pretty sure its not the X1...let me see if I can find out.

Comment

• efarstad
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2001

I know many dealers offered free bulbs with the Z1 for quite some time...but now only one I know of does....but if you have a lead...I'm all ears!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I'm all ears!
                        I'll keep you posted spock

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"