X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

RPTV, which one to get?

Well, I'm starting a search at the moment and will update as I go along. Seeing as there's a possibility that I may jump into the RPTV ring by the end of this year, I'm going to start a search on some sets.

Our current viewing habits are mainly cable TV. I'd say about a good 90%. The rest of the time would be DVDs.

Initially, I've had my heart set on the Sony 53HS10. A 4:3 set but with the all important auto squeeze. I know that there's a new HS30 set coming out later this year so that might be a good option as well.

Other set's that I've considered in the past is the Toshibal 50X81's, I think they're now known as the HX81's. And I just saw that a new 16:9 set, the 50H81 is coming out as well.

I don't know if I can truely justify a 16:9 set at the moment as I won't be doing any HD viewing. Plus I don't really like any of the streach modes for regular programing.

Budget at the moment is variable, I hope in the range of the Sony set, but that could change to lower.

The other problem is that I have to get rid of our current entertainment unit. It won't fit into the bedroom. That also means I need to buy a new component rack.

So let the games begin. I'm up to hearing other options. Exept for Mitsubishi. No offence, but they aren't available in Canada. Which is sad, cause I've to to Mits TV sets.

Oh yeah, I plan to use my existion DVD player, Tosh 3109, for a while longer. Then upgrade to a progressive scan in a year.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Paul,,If you don't plan on going the 16x9 route then you most likely would be very happy with the Toshiba H80 or X81 4:3 sets..
    I have the TNx81 set and I swear the quality of image seems to get better as time passes. I have had the set for a year and a half already.
    A progressive DVD image looks incredible and beleive it or not but DSS is stunning once you get the correct calibration.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Correct me if I am not mistake but weren't the Toshiba's also a great bang-for-the-buck unit?

Comment

• Huskerduck
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

If you got the bucks, Pioneer Elites are pretty hard to beat, cant help with 4:3 because I havent looked for one in atleast 4 years.......once DVD came on the scene I couldnt get a progressive widescreen fast enough.

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

It's been said that the Elite series "pre-HDTV" sets, came as close to appearing to be a tube set as any RPTV out there. I personally believe it. I have been so happy with my 119 4:3 set that I could not bring myself to buy another RPTV that is not an Elite. Yes, they are lots more cash, but IMO, worth it.

I had 2 XBR Sony's blow up in less than 2 months. So, as someone that experienced problems, once I find something that works, I stick with it. If and when this current 119 croaks, I am determined to get the Elite. Let's hope that's not anytime soon, lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Quick update.

Tosh X81 series sets. I've wanted these for a long time, but they increased the price, and they don't do the squeeze. Though that may change for next year. I also see the 16:9 sets are coming out soon, and there's a 50" that looks great, price is about right too.

The Elites are way out of my price range, at least the 16:9 sets. 53" is C$8,000, the 58" is C$9,000 and the 64" is C$10,000. Those are full list, but even at a discount, for that kind of money, I'd rather start at getting into FPTV.

I had a quick look at the Sony 53HS10 through some kind of cable feed. Compared to a couple of other sets next to it, it looked really bad. Colours are pixelating, and the fact that we will watch a good lot of cable tv, this is going to be a major problem. Some of the cheaper RPTV sets, looked better, well they had scan lines, but that bothered me less than blotches.

Hope to do some major comparisons over my holidays in July.
            Paul

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

You can get into FPTV for the same price as RPTV, I can point you to brand new NEC xg85's at 5k that'll sync to any signal you can throw at it, and look better than any RPTV doing it.

Comment

• JIm Christian
                • Dec 2000

See more about the HS10 at my eGroup http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10

There are >5K posts, >50 Files and >500 members, all about Sony's HSX0 and XBR series.

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Kenny: Ultimately I want a FPTV. But I really don't think I could get a decent projector and screen for under CDN$5,000. Plus I'd have to add cables and some mounting as well. Though I have considered just projecting the image onto my wall. Plus ambient light would be a problem. There's a fair amount of light that comes through the blinds in the afternoon. At night, it would be nice and dark.

Jim: Thanks for the pointer to the group. I think I might have that in my bookmarks somewhere. I haven't been by cause I know, I'd have to setup camp for a few days to go through everything. Good thing my vacation is coming up soon.

OH, I had a chance to view a 53HS10 beside a 50HX70 the other week. At first both pictures were pretty bad, but this time I went in and turned down the contrast and brightness and the sharpness. This had quite an effect on both pictures. I was watching Super Speedway, a dvd I am most familiar with. The signal was probably through a composite connection, as there were many other sets showing the same material. Initially I saw my dreaded pixelation on both sets, but once I went through the adjustments, sat back and watched a bit, it became difficult, if not impossible for me to find the pixelation.

The search continues...

Paul

Paul

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Just to update. In my travels I've had a chance to look at the 47" 16:9 Panasonic. While a nice set, I don't think 16:9 is really what I'd want at the moment. I've finally seen the 43HT20 from Sony, as well as the 53HS30. Now these are great looking sets. However, the price on the 43" Sony is a bit ridiculous, list is $3500, and it really needs a stand, so tack on $400 for the Sony stand. Where the 53" Sony lists for $4000, so for an extra $100 you get a bigger set.

I would like to see the new Toshiba 53" set, but I don't think that will be in the stores until Sept sometime. Though it doesn't really matter as I've pretty much decided to hold off on the purchase for the moment.

Paul

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"