X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The ability to pull you in.

I was at a store a few weeks ago. The salesman wanted to showoff this Plasma screen that they just got in. He told me that he could not believe how well the depth of picture was on this model.

I go with him to take a look. Wow! The picture had good depth. A real 3D effect. We were watching the intro to Dinosaur.

I liked it so much that I bought the DVD (couldn't afford the tv) that day. I just watched the movie a few days ago. Guess what? My tv has good depth too! Now I won't say that the picture was as good overall as the plasma but, there was no $9,000 dollar change either. I was very happy with the display on my 32" JVC.

I guess software makes or breaks a display.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

John,
    Dinoaur is one of those DVD's that can sell anything. I first saw it as a preview on the Tarzan DVD a while back. I was blown away with how good it looked. I was Very happy with my TV that day
    I have found that software quality nakes a huge difference. I watched the 6th Day last night. That had a great transfer, and again I was extremely happy. I guess it's good that our display's are good enough to reproduce the great transfers well. Although I do wonder how much better a high end display will look in my HT.

I do find myself watching DVD's with great video transfers more often than the ones with just ok video quality.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Since I've gone to a very big screen, I also find it very hard to watch substandard transfers. Everything is magnified, and I find my eyes going right to the problem.

Comment

• Huskerduck
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2000

A couple other DVDs that make the video have a "near HD" look are Starship Troopers and the Fifth Element, not the greateset flicks but the transfers are outstanding

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
        Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You know I must be getting older There was a time (not that long ago) when the display came second to sound in my home. Now I am finding that I also tend to watch the disc that have a better picture more. Now the display is as important as the sound.

I still am trying to wait for the prices to drop a little more. When they are right for me, I see a nice large 16x9 HD diplay in my future. Until then, I need to find all the "great 3D transfers" disc I can to hold me over:B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Huskerduck
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2000

I think its a 50/50 draw as to what is more important but I cant afford the upper end audio ( which just a pair of speakers are as much as a nice HD widescreen) so Im in your boat but the opposite, and I think youll get off ALOT cheaper then I will.

My sound system is good for Movies which is what my HT is about 95% dedicated too and the second they came out with the DVD I held out for as long as I could untill they made a highly tweakable HD widescreen RPTV (the first generation werent that great, and were very high priced) and then the second generation sets came out and I pounced, now Im glad I did because they have now decided to lock out the service menus on some of the 3rd generation models.

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
            Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I didn't know that the "lock out" would happen. I understand to some degree why a company would do this but, having access to the service menu was one of my key purchase points. I'll just have to be sure that the one that I get can do it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I agree with Mark. Starship Troopers and The 5th Element have that HD look. Another title is Lost In Space.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I concur, I own all of those titles and never get tired of their video or sound quality.

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Oh Huskerduck, I can't afford what I have let alone what I want.

Comment

• KennyG
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2000

I'm almost in that same boat, I can barely afford what I have (FPTV) but am in the process of upgrading it...even though I really shouldn't.
                      Now that I've seen what a good projector can do, I'm hooked.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Ahh, you too have been led down that primrose path of endless upgrades. You'll know it's completely out of control when you contemplate raiding the savings you've put aside for your daughter's college education- there's a special circle in hell for folks like me!

-Jon

Earth First!
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2000

I thought about it...and quickly slapped myself!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

...must not turn to the Dark side... CRTs may have ultimate blacks, but I must resist the power of the Emperor...

Earth First!
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"