X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Projectors!!!

Today I had the chance to check out a couple different projectors, met this guy, Bob Wood at another forum, and we live in the same town.
    The first projector Bob had running was his D-ILA made by JVC, I was somewhat surprised by the picture, it was brighter than my projector, with DVD as a source the image was very sharp, I'd say a notch above mine, and HDTV...not even close, very impressive. (when I say "not even close" I'm refering to my DVD feed, as that's all I have at this time.) It's down fall, black detail, and I watch only movies, so that's a pretty big one.
    Then he fired up his Ampro with 7" guns, which he feed from HTPC running at 800X600 and either 60 or 72hz refresh rate, again very nice,DVD image was a notch or two below mine, but HDTV was as good or slightly better than my DVD feed, we worked on his color balance alittle, and got some good fleshtones, and to get the image out of it we got it's being pushed alittle hard, but he's got spare tubes, boards, whole projectors!!!...the most amazing thing about this little projector, it's super quite, and he payed $100 for it!!! Talk about Bang for the buck!!!
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

An Ampro for $100 bucks ? That's fantastic.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

He's got several other Ampros also, from 7 to 9" guns, plus a rack of spare boards, tubes, remotes etc. He went down to their going out of business sale.

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

Just got a look at a brand new Infocus DLP today...this is the worst projector I've seen yet...screen door effect, crawlies, posterization, washed out colors, and everytime I moved my eyes across the screen I caught a glimps of which ever segment of the color wheel was being lit-up at that split second...rainbow effect.
        HTPC was running at it's native res (600 X 800) so that should have been a plus.
        This little unit looks good projecting a static image (that's what it was made for) but put up a movie and it falls flat on it's face.
        Perhaps the new 6 segmented units will be better than this...they need to be.
        After seeing this I can't figure out what all the fuss is about.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Well, Kenny, you sure blew Bob Wood away with the calibration job you did on your NEC! Your past experience, and that of the other guys on the AVS board really paid off in spades, I suspect.

I had a bit of that feeling when I visited Bill Cruce, one of the writers for TPV, in his home in Cleveland, and he demo'd his CRT setup with the Geforce based PC I'd helped him tweak up a bit. That's what moved me off the dime to look at the Geforce from the Matrox G400.

I have a hint of an idea of what Bob was thinking, based on comparing the color performance of my NECXM29Plus, with the 400Q I used to have, plus this weekend I demo'd a 10HT in San Jose. For many reasons I can discount that demo, or rather, some of the quality problems, but I suspect that there would still be some remaining issues with everything dialed in. Still, brightness wouldn't be one of them. Glad to hear your NEC is dialed in and evidently a crowd pleaser!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"