X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

These new 4G T.V's ??

I assume ya' all have seen these new, super hi res TV's.....claiming to have 4X the resolution of a 1080P display??. Now, I'm all for improvements but........right now, the best resolution available IS 1080P so how are these displays going to possibly display this 'super' resolution if that's the case?? :roll:
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The same way 720p/1080i/p TVs displayed DVDs before HD DVD and Blu-ray--upscaling. Before hi-def optical discs, everyone gushed about certain TVs ability to make SD DVD look "spectacular", "stupendous", "hi-def like", etc. It took a few years before home video caught up to TV resolutions. This will be more of the same.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

4k content is going to roll out much much faster than blu-rays did, because a lot of movies in the past 5 or so years were shot on 4k camera's. There are already 4k delivery systems that are about to be or already have been released. And with the fact that theres a 4k 50" TV already available for only 1300 bucks! That'll just push it even farther. I have a feeling we'll see a whole slew of 4k TV's in a year or 2 that are well under 2k.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Well, that being said, I'm all for improvements in all areas of video and audio. However, and in my opinion, we are approaching the limits on 'how good' video can really get no?. Reality can only be as good as reality true??. Maybe one day there will be like a 'halo deck' kinda' Star trek thing where you get transported virtually to concert events, movies etc.... where you see, smell, feel the wind and virtually live in the moment and it's environment!. That would be so cool. Potential danger here of course is that this technology becomes 'better' than boring reality and we all start 'living' in these fake worlds!!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I'm of the belief that the human eye just like an audiophiles ear can be trained. I don't think 4k is the limitation. Most of these resolutions are about going bigger though. I mean 1080p on a 60 or 70" TV starts to look kind of bad. It's good from a distance, now put 4k on a 70-80 or 90" screen and it looks pretty damn good even close up.

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

I've read that one of the selling points or pro's with 4K tv's, is that you don't really have to abide by the current screen size:viewing distance ratios that we use today with 1920x1080 screens. That being said, they say that a person can buy (for example) an 80 inch screen and pretty much sit as close to it as you want and not be able to see any picture quality degradation as you would with a standard 1080p screen. So I would think this could be of benefit to someone with a small room that by current size:viewing distance "should" only use a 42" screen. That person could by a 60" and be able to use it in that small room.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
            Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
            Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
            Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
            Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
            Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
            Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
            Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR
            Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yes that is true as well.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

The pretty cool thing is that Blu-ray is already capable of sending 4K because the compression used is completely compatible and only a firmware is needed to allow players to display (provided the manufacturers will update them).

The other nice thing is the total size of a 4K movie is actually less than the same 1080p due to the better compression techniques. Which allows for them to put a higher resolution audio/more channels audio tracks, different features, etc. onto the already currently blurays.

I think in the long run 4K and beyond will really start the "on-demand" streaming where it's really at your fingertips wherever you want to be.

Heck, when I stream a bluray it's only running at 3 - 5MB/s as it is... which many internet connections could keep up with...and with the internet connections getting faster, soon it won't be a problem.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah Reds compression algorithm actually streams full 4k resolution at about the same bitrate as 1080p Blu-Ray. It's pretty awesome stuff, but I'm not sure we'll see any Blu-Ray players be updated to play 4k content honestly. Sony is already releasing a 4k blu-ray player, although I think if I were going to grab anything it would be Red's RedRay player as it's a streaming device and they have some pretty awesome stuff going on with it. I've been considering buying that 1300 dollar 50" 4k TV since it's so cheap and seems to be relatively nice. It can only accept 30hz at 4k, but then rescans it to 120hz or something. So not the best for some things. I'm still holding out for some reviews though.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

thought it was 4K, not 4G. You are thinking about transmission band strength with 3G vs 4G, no?

It will be interesting to see how these 4K sets come along. What, 8 times better than 1080P?

So, will "purple ray" be next? Guys, you can forget me linking up to a computer for my movies. I'm not planning to have a 5,000 gigabytle mass storage bay for movies. lol. I like my discs.
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Well it's twice the resolution, but 4 times the pixels I believe?

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

I'd love one of those TVs to use as a gigantomundo monitor for my PC. :B

But for TV/movies, 720p/1080p is good enough for me (for now).

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Well Seiki has the 50" 4k TV, but it's limited to 30hz so not that great for gaming. Word is they are going to release a 39" 4k TV as well, and maybe the new HDMI standard will be out by then and it'll run more than 30hz. A 39" 4k TV would be amazingly perfect for a monitor!

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Also Doug, it looks more like they are leaning towards streaming pretty hard for 4k content, although as stated Blu-Ray players do support everything needed to play back 4k resolution material. So we could likely see 4k blu-rays before long. I don't think we're going to see a new disc technology for 4k simply because I don't think discs are going to be around too much longer and the Blu-Ray format has plenty of space for it.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"