X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Calibration

Hello. I was wondering if it would be worth it to get my tv calibrated or not. The model number is below. It's a 2006 model. Thanks.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

It's a good question. I've had displays where I've never touched them except trying out different preset video modes. I've also used Video Essentials to do video calibration many times over the years. And I've paid more than once to have an ISF trained professional calibrator set up my projectors before as well.

I can say that the ISF trained calibrated displays looked visibly better than out of the box, but today I'd be hard pressed to spend that kind of money to have the full calibration done. But that perspective probably comes from the fact that the projectors were so much more expensive then (so as a percentage the calibration cost was minimal) and also most projectors from years ago were designed as primarily data projectors. Whereas in recent years HD displays are specifically engineered for home theater use.

Also note that some displays have limited user control for doing a thorough calibration.
    But your Pioneer model was a higher end unit, so it looks like it has a fair amount of calibration potential.

I'd check to see online if anyone has had their similar model display calibrated, and what their impressions of the improvement and value that was to them.

And of course it depends on who you are planning to have calibrate your display as well. And what they charge for their work.

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

Thanks for your help/input. If I were to get it done it would be an ISF guy doing it.
      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR
      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Dean McManis
        I'd check to see online if anyone has had their similar model display calibrated, and what their impressions of the improvement and value that was to them.
        When I got my Toshiba, I did a self-calibration (using Spears & Munsil, I believe), but then tweaked it a bit more based on a very detailed review I read online, where they posted their own professional calibration results. After doing so I liked what I ended up with, so I've enjoyed it that way ever since.
        Brad

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

All HDTV's typically come 'hot' color wise out of the box. My golden rule when adjusting a tv's picture is to make the picture look 'real'. Blue skies are blue...not hot blue. It looks like what you see when your outside looking up at the sky. Red golf shirts look like real red shirts and not on fire red. Big one!! Grass!!. Grass has to look like grass. Most HDTV's I see in sports bars has the grass on fire green. Looks just horrible. The american flag is a good one to start with because you've seen the real flag so many times so you know what it's supposed to look like right?. I would say 9 times out of ten you are going to turn the color down and do some color bias adjustments to get it right. Sometimes, you can find the pro settings for your set on line and go from there. :T
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I'd say at the very LEAST you'll want to do a basic DVE level calibration as mentioned above. The disc is around $20 if I recall and that's a pretty minimal expense to get a much improved picture out of your set.

Paying for a professional ISF calibration...that's a sticky "value for dollar" question. If you have the money I say do it. You may as well get the absolute best PQ your display is capable of if you can afford it.

Beyond that, the individual will have to decide whether or not the value is there to get that last 5-10% out of their display. A DVE (or similar) calibration should get you pretty close and a big improvement over "out of the box" but it's up to you if you're willing to pay to get the maximum...
            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yes, I do believe with all honesty that an ISF calibration is worth it. I myself have been teetering for some time on buying the equipment and getting the full training to become ISF and THX calibration certified. The only real reason that I haven't is the cost for me to do all of it. But I'd love to get into that.

If I ever do, I'd be happy to help out with calibrations when I'm in Vancouver/Victoria next.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Hmm well if you do and you're in Ohio I have a few TV's for you lol.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

It still baffles me that you can spend thousands of dollars on a HDTV only to get wrong color/ temperature calibration out of the box!!??. Just doesn't make sense to me !!??.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

They have to make them stand out at the store, and when they are sitting next to 100's of other TV's the only way to do that are to make the colors pop more and the picture to be brighter.

When it comes to projection systems it really doesn't matter how calibrated it is at the factory as there are tons of variables when it comes to your setup, the screen size, color, and gain, projection distance, room color, all these things play a role in the accuracy of the image produced so generally with a projector you won't ever get the most accurate picture without a calibration.

Also some people don't like accurate colors on TV's, in fact I'd say the average Joe doesn't like accurate color at all. This is why people are always talking about colors popping or being vibrant. That's generally what those people are looking for.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                      They have to make them stand out at the store, and when they are sitting next to 100's of other TV's the only way to do that are to make the colors pop more and the picture to be brighter.
                      Local big box stores hate it when you play around with their TVs to make them look more natural. I've helped a few friends with their TV shopping and while I'm no expert calibrator of displays, I do know enough to do a "rough and ready" adjustment (most often involves the Cinema or Movie setting on a TV). Sales people do NOT like it when I do that, though.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

That's right, and that each truly calibrated display is uniquely calibrated for the SPECIFIC setting in which it's placed. Even then, it's calibrated for lighting and colors of one particular light setting in that room, time of day with ambient exterior light (if any), and resultant color effects.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85

When it comes to projection systems it really doesn't matter how calibrated it is at the factory as there are tons of variables when it comes to your setup, the screen size, color, and gain, projection distance, room color, all these things play a role in the accuracy of the image produced so generally with a projector you won't ever get the most accurate picture without a calibration.

Also some people don't like accurate colors on TV's, in fact I'd say the average Joe doesn't like accurate color at all. This is why people are always talking about colors popping or being vibrant. That's generally what those people are looking for.
                          You are correct on all fronts. Most HDTV's at my friends and family houses are set to 'Vivid' in the picture settings with the color juiced up, which is just horrible. Horrible like steel horrible!!. When I offer to fix their picture, they agree and when I'm done and the picture looks halfway decent, they invariably don't like it and when I go back the next time, the picture is all F**ked up again. Ho hum...so be it!! :roll:

At least CRT tv's looked halfway decent outta' the box........

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"