X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Any experience with Toshiba Regza?

I'm currently using a 37" 720p panel in my main system, 'cause that's all that would fit in the cabinet. Now, with the wife's approval, I'm thinking of reconfiguring things a bit to fit a 50"+ set. I'm definitely looking for 1080p/120Hz at a minimum, but beyond that I don't need too many more bells and whistles (e.g., LED backlighting would be nice, but not for the $$ they're currently asking for them).

So, I've looked around a bit, and found the Toshiba REGZA 52XV645U, which is a 52" 1080p/120Hz set that I can currently get for just over $1200 delivered. I think that's a pretty decent price (I think I paid close to that for the 32" Toshiba in my bedroom years ago...), and a nice step up over my current set, for sure. I've had several Toshibas over the years that I've been very happy with, so I'm inclined to stick with something I know.

Any experience with the Regza line?
    Brad
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

How quickly things change...

Okay, after looking around a bit, I believe I'm going to head in a different direction. With the prices of plasma coming down so much, it appears that the best choice for me at this point could be the http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P50V10_11002_7000000000000005702]Panasonic TC-P50V10[/URL]. I'd rather have the 54", but they appear to be discontinued and no longer available (since the '10s are coming out soon). I visited my local BB yesterday, and they've got the 50" model as an in-store "Manager's Special" for $1599...pretty good from what I've seen.

The alernative is to go with the slightly lesser model TC-P54G10, which is available from Sears for $1499. The primary difference (from what I can tell), is additional Pro calibration options, and 96Hz playback for 24p source material (i.e., blu-ray). From what I've read, this is still a very solid choice and may be my best bet.

Thoughts?
    Brad

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I vote Panasonic. Personally if I was buying one though I'd probably get the S series. Same panels without all the expensive bells and whistles. It doesn't have the user selectable ISF mode but with the money you save on the set you could get it ISF calibrated. Also if you do your research on your BD/DVD player you can should be able to buy a player that handles the frame rate conversion properly and not worry about the lack of 96Hz conversion in the Panny.

My $0.02
      Jason

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response. I'm using the Oppo BDP-83, which should handle 24p just fine...however, I read things like the following (from the Cnet review), and it makes me wonder why they would draw special attention to this is a great feature, if it were not important?

... the ability to refresh the screen at 96Hz, which allows the TV to properly maintain the cadence of film when fed a 1080p/24 source--typically from a Blu-ray player (the refresh rate remains fixed at the standard 60Hz for non-1080p/24 sources).
        I'm also interested in the THX mode and the Ethernet connection, niether of which are available on the S models.
        Brad

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well then by all means

As for the 96Hz thing... again if you can get a player that does a good job converting 1080/24 films to 60Hz (via 3:2 pulldown) then you don't really need to worry about how well the TV does it (or in the case of above Panny's, converts it to 96Hz). I'm not sure but I believe the Oppo is one of the players that DOES do a good job of it.

In that case with the higher Panny models you'd be paying extra for an ethernet port and a THX mode which again isn't necessary if you get the set ISF'd anyway.

I'm not entirely sold on THX modes myself as you still require the appropriate (and expensive) equipment to completely and accurately calibrate a display. Though anything that allows the average consumer to easily get a more accurate picture than normal is good in my books. So I'm a bit torn on the subject.

Either way it's you and you're wallet that must decide what's best. Either way you should end up with a great TV and great picture :T
          Jason

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Indeed just checked on HT Mag's site...

The Oppo does indeed pass the 3:2 tests in both HD and SD (among pretty much everything else they tested :T)

Jason

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

Again, I appreciate your help! I thought this was just going to be a conversation with myself...

But I though the whole point was to enable the player (Oppo, in this case) to be able to send the tv a 24p signal without the need for conversion. So, according to the Oppo manual, I would want to set the 1080p24 Output option to Auto or On, since the tv can properly accept and display a blu-ray at this resolution.
              1080p24 Output: To set 1080p 24Hz output options. This option only applies to the HDMI output at 1080p resolution. Many Blu-ray Discs that originated from theatrical movies are encoded using 24Hz frame rate, the same number of frames per second as the original theatrical film. If the TV properly supports 1080p 24Hz, smoother motion can be achieved by enabling 1080p24 Output for such discs.
              Since I've only owned 720p sets up until now, I'm just trying to understand how all of this 1080p/24Hz stuff works before jumping in.
              Brad

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Taking the 24Hz signal and converting it (in this case to 96Hz) simply allows you to avoid 3:2 pull down, which when done incorrectly can cause errors. In the case of the Oppo it does it correctly.

So either will work it's just that the solution to maintain a multiple of 24 will cost you a bit more. You'd have to decide for yourself if you see any visual difference between properly converted 24-60Hz and 24-96Hz and if that difference is worth the money.
                Jason

Comment

• Blindamood
                  • Sep 2003

Well, after all that...

I ended coming back around and ordered the Toshiba Regza 55ZV650U. I decided to go big, and the Toshiba 650U series had a great picture compared to the rest of what I saw. For the current prices, I decided to go with the 55" because...well, because I could. No bells and whistles (except pseudo 240Hz), but I think I will be more than happy.

I've had three different Toshibas over the years and have been happy with all of them, so hopefully the streak will continue. BTW, CompUSA (of all places) has great prices on a number of flatscreens, and free shipping.
                  Brad

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Pics!

I know how people like system pics, so I'm posting a before and after of my system with the new Toshiba. I really like it so far...the Olympics looked great, and blu-ray looks amazing. I did an initial calibration with the Spears & Munsil disc that came with my Oppo, and then modified a bit based on recommended settings from a Home Theater Mag review.

I'm running with a 'phantom' center currently, until I get the tv wall-mounted and make space for the center speaker on top of the cabinet. I also plan to move the L/R speakers back to the outside of the cabinets, since they're a little too close together, and somewhat blocked when the cabinet doors are open. As you can see, I removed the top portion of the center cabinet to make space for a larger screen...fortunately the cabinet pieces bolt together, so removal was fairly easy.
                    Attached Files
                    Brad

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"